Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Three way/step switch

Question

I like to control the ventilation system in my house by a zwave device. The fan control is basic in three steps 1-2-3. All I need to do is to make sure to close the circuit to one,(and only one) of the three contact points. Eg not closing any would turn the fan off, closing to contatct point #1 gives fan speed level 1, closing to contatct point #2 gives fan speed level 2, and closing to contatct point #3 gives fan speed level 3. The system operates off the grid, eg 230VAC. I realize I could do this with two double relay sw like FGS221, but I would prefer a hw solution that would gurantee that I only could end up with a singe connection beeing made. Also all in one instead of two devices would have been nice.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

8 answers to this question

Hi Paul,

I'm also currently installing a ventilation unit from Itho (with a DC motor, PWM controlled).

It's a radio controlled device on the 868mhz frequency but it is not zwave protocol.

Luckily I noticed on the PCB that I could also hardwire the fan.

In my case though contact 1 is always powered. Closing contact 2 the fan wil speed up to level 2 and closing 3 will give speed level 3, but in both cases contact 1 is always powered. Is this the same as your fan?

I also noticed on the PCB that closing contact 2 will send AC voltage to a resistor and an diode, also for contact 3 but with a different resistor. So I assume that the atmel processor in the fan is just looking at the potential difference of level 2 and 3 and possibly they can be connected both at the same time. (unless there is a warning in your manual that is telling you not to do this.)?

I will test if this is the case...

[ Added: 2014-03-23, 15:48 ]

See also other topic:

Please login or register to see this link.

• Inquirer
  • Not exactly. L1 to (L)1 on the fig gives me LOW fan speed. L1 to (L)2 gives me NORM fan speed, and L1 to (L)3 gives HIGH fan speed. I'm told current should only be delivered to one of the pins (L)1, (L)2, or (L)3 - eg no current on (L)1 or L(3) when the sw is closed L1 to (L).

Ok, so it works a bit different then my Itho fan.

I'm stil thinking of how to connect it, maybe use 2 relais and a 2x 1,5kw switch...?

Just out of curiosity, what brand do you have?

• Inquirer
  • The brand is Enervent and the modell is a TS 400. (I don't think they are sold outside of Norway). My consern is that using one or two 2x1,5 could possibly create a situation where one or both made contact on more than just one of the 2 or 4 swithces...

I like to control the ventilation system in my house by a zwave device. The fan control is basic in three steps 1-2-3. All I need to do is to make sure to close the circuit to one,(and only one) of the three contact points. Eg not closing any would turn the fan off, closing to contatct point #1 gives fan speed level 1, closing to contatct point #2 gives fan speed level 2, and closing to contatct point #3 gives fan speed level 3. The system operates off the grid, eg 230VAC. I realize I could do this with two double relay sw like FGS221, but I would prefer a hw solution that would gurantee that I only could end up with a singe connection beeing made. Also all in one instead of two devices would have been nice.

Since one would end up with multiple devices anyway, and since there is still no way to properly include arbitrary devices into the Fibaro system, i would just use a wifi enabled device (Spark Core, Electrical Imp) and use that to drive SSR's, Relays, Optos (depening on the current though the switch) and then communicate from HC2 via HTTP or socket.

And, if you want to make sure that coding error does not induce an invalid state one could use something like a MM74HC154 to ensure that. But, that does not give protection against stuck relais.

But, since we're talking about a major rebuild of the appliance (and one that is most likely not legal to perform anyway), I, personally, would just bypass the switch and integrate a VF of PWM (dependant on motor type) and then interface that to a RGBW-analouge out.

• Inquirer
  • Since one would end up with multiple devices anyway, and since there is still no way to properly include arbitrary devices into the Fibaro system, i would just use a wifi enabled device (Spark Core, Electrical Imp) and use that to drive SSR's, Relays, Optos (depening on the current though the switch) and then communicate from HC2 via HTTP or socket.

And, if you want to make sure that coding error does not induce an invalid state one could use something like a MM74HC154 to ensure that. But, that does not give protection against stuck relais.

Well, I guess I don't need an absolute garantee for hw failures - but the likellyhood of a failure should be remote...

But, since we're talking about a major rebuild of the appliance (and one that is most likely not legal to perform anyway), I, personally, would just bypass the switch and integrate a VF of PWM (dependant on motor type) and then interface that to a RGBW-analouge out.

Not a valid interpretation. Todays (manual) control panel is an external one. An electrician would just disconnect this old "switch" and hook up the new z-wave device(s).

Well, I guess I don't need an absolute garantee for hw failures - but the likellyhood of a failure should be remote...

Not a valid interpretation. Todays (manual) control panel is an external one. An electrician would just disconnect this old "switch" and hook up the new z-wave device(s).

Hi!

I have exact the same challenge.  My ventilation unit is Enervent TS600. 

Did you find a solution for it?

So far, I've been planning to use two 2x1,5kw fibaro relays, which give 4 relays in total. 

1) Heat recovery on/off

2) Minimum fan speed

3) Normal fan speed

4) Maximum fan speed

Important is the script controlling relay 2-4, ensuring that only one of these relays can be closed at any given time. 

I'm trying to put together a Virtual Device to connect this, but I am quite new to this, and strugglig a little. If anyone has done something similar, assistance would be appreciated.  

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_smile.gif" alt=":-)" />