Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

LiFX

donangelo

Question

11 answers to this question

They have released the API, so I think somebody with a little knowledge would easily integrate it.

Nice device, I like it.. I think I''l buy 2 ...better than Phillips Hue

The integration is pretty straight forward using http requests. The only major problem i have with it is that it is absolutely huge and won't fit in many light fixtures. Also, although more bright, it produces kess lumen pr watt. Also, you cant get really vibrant and at the same time really bright colors, because when you choose a certain color and turn it above 50% dim, it will just add white light washibg out the vibrant tones.

I was really psyched about the lifx when i first saw it, but the price is much higher than initially pitched on kickstarter and the bulb didn't deliver on the promised design, so it is far too big for many standard light fixtures. The only lamp I have which is big enough to accomodate the bulb can't really be used, because the light is quite directionalized, so only one half of the lamp is lit. So it is okay for downlights, but for omnidirectional applications it isn't nearly as good as a hue bulb.

I've tried one (I was a backer for the project), but I am far happier with the Hue bulbs I have - so it is just collecting dust in a closet somewhere.

The integration is pretty straight forward using http requests. The only major problem i have with it is that it is absolutely huge and won't fit in many light fixtures. Also, although more bright, it produces kess lumen pr watt. Also, you cant get really vibrant and at the same time really bright colors, because when you choose a certain color and turn it above 50% dim, it will just add white light washibg out the vibrant tones.

I was really psyched about the lifx when i first saw it, but the price is much higher than initially pitched on kickstarter and the bulb didn't deliver on the promised design, so it is far too big for many standard light fixtures. The only lamp I have which is big enough to accomodate the bulb can't really be used, because the light is quite directionalized, so only one half of the lamp is lit. So it is okay for downlights, but for omnidirectional applications it isn't nearly as good as a hue bulb.

I've tried one (I was a backer for the project), but I am far happier with the Hue bulbs I have - so it is just collecting dust in a closet somewhere.

Are hue bulbs brighter than LiFx? Or are they more vibrant(intense) coloured than them?

Besides the size,why are you more happy with hue bulbs? They additionally need the zigbee transceiver to connect to the router...

No, the hue is definitely not brighter when talking white light. The lifx has more power, but it also consumes twice the power of the hue, but the hue is more than adequate for replacing a 60W bulb which is by far the most powerful I would ever put inside. Speaking of colors, the difference is so so in power, because as i said, when going past 50 % on the lifx it just adds white to the blend washing out the vibrancy of the color. At 50%, the lifx has the same power as the hue at full blast when showing pure color and at that setting, they almost look the same (but with poorer light distribution on the lifx). Both bulbs have an issue with proper green light.

As to the transceiver, I really don't like the fact that everything should connect to my wifi. The protocol is not designed for the IoT, so you quickly get congestion when you ramp up the number of devices. I already have over 40 devices connecting to my wifi and when I move into my new house I'll be installing about 30 smart bulbs, so if they were all lifx, that would be an additional 30 ip addresses plus added number of packets. Even though I have a very powerful router at home, it already sometimes feel the strain when there are numerous devices going at it at the same time. So I actually like the fact that the hue bulbs operate off their own closed network as it doesn't interfere with the datatraffic in my wifi.

Then also, there is the fact that there is no GU10 version on the market of the lifx. It has been in preorder for ages, but nothing happens. I need GU10 as many of my light fittings are of that type. And their suggested GU10 product is also absolutely huge - so it won't even fit in the new energy saver downlight standard.

So I really dislike the current lifx products to be honest. They've completely disregarded from any standard ignoring the fact that many lamps are designed for a standard size. Also as i mentioned in my previous post, the light distribution from the strange looking plastic cap is very for anything but down light applications. The hue bulb on the other hand, dispite not looking completely standard actually fits in my lamps and when fitted in the lamp, you can't see that it isn't an old incandecent bulb.

No, the hue is definitely not brighter when talking white light. The lifx has more power, but it also consumes twice the power of the hue, but the hue is more than adequate for replacing a 60W bulb which is by far the most powerful I would ever put inside. Speaking of colors, the difference is so so in power, because as i said, when going past 50 % on the lifx it just adds white to the blend washing out the vibrancy of the color. At 50%, the lifx has the same power as the hue at full blast when showing pure color and at that setting, they almost look the same (but with poorer light distribution on the lifx). Both bulbs have an issue with proper green light.

As to the transceiver, I really don't like the fact that everything should connect to my wifi. The protocol is not designed for the IoT, so you quickly get congestion when you ramp up the number of devices. I already have over 40 devices connecting to my wifi and when I move into my new house I'll be installing about 30 smart bulbs, so if they were all lifx, that would be an additional 30 ip addresses plus added number of packets. Even though I have a very powerful router at home, it already sometimes feel the strain when there are numerous devices going at it at the same time. So I actually like the fact that the hue bulbs operate off their own closed network as it doesn't interfere with the datatraffic in my wifi.

Then also, there is the fact that there is no GU10 version on the market of the lifx. It has been in preorder for ages, but nothing happens. I need GU10 as many of my light fittings are of that type. And their suggested GU10 product is also absolutely huge - so it won't even fit in the new energy saver downlight standard.

So I really dislike the current lifx products to be honest. They've completely disregarded from any standard ignoring the fact that many lamps are designed for a standard size. Also as i mentioned in my previous post, the light distribution from the strange looking plastic cap is very for anything but down light applications. The hue bulb on the other hand, dispite not looking completely standard actually fits in my lamps and when fitted in the lamp, you can't see that it isn't an old incandecent bulb.

Thanks for the info...I am more interested in white light power(intensity) and I'll only use 2 or 3 bulbs in the house..so I just order 2 LIFX to test and see

I already have zwave network with 2 controllers(HC2 and Vera) and a large LAN and Wi-fi network..I don't feel like adding another zigbee network in my house.

After all there is electromagnetic pollution with so many protocols..I'll stick with only zwave in my house

Looking at my radio equipment, i can identify the first 20 named wifi networks and another 40-50 with too weak transmission to identify plus an unidentifiable number of other sources around both 433 and 868 MHz, so electronagnetic pollution is really no concern of mine and also, the electromagnetic radiation from all your other electronic equipment will be much higher anyway (you wouldn't believe the amount of energy an amplifier will put out into the room.

Regarding the intensity, the lifx is definitely more powerful - too powerful for my use, but if you really need a lot of power, then lifx probably is the better choice.

Looking at my radio equipment, i can identify the first 20 named wifi networks and another 40-50 with too weak transmission to identify plus an unidentifiable number of other sources around both 433 and 868 MHz, so electronagnetic pollution is really no concern of mine and also, the electromagnetic radiation from all your other electronic equipment will be much higher anyway (you wouldn't believe the amount of energy an amplifier will put out into the room.

Regarding the intensity, the lifx is definitely more powerful - too powerful for my use, but if you really need a lot of power, then lifx probably is the better choice.

my 2 lifx had just arrived >I have 2 questions:

-when they function they are making a buzzing,humming sound.is that normal??

-What are the http commands for controlling the bulbs?Or how did you controll the bullbs with HC2 ?

Thank you

I never got round to testing it with the HC2 as I got mine before the api was released. However looking on the web, the API seems a bit fiddly, but someone has been kind enough to build a http api so you can control it using Net.Fhttp from the fibaro, but it needs something inbetween to run the script for you:

Please login or register to see this link.

This is just another issue with the lifx... A wifi bulb that doesn't support HTTP requests out of the box isn't good enough! I haven't looked into it in detail, but as I see it, even the official API available at github also requires an intermediate server. Then the only difference between Hue and lifx is that Hue comes with the server out of the box.

But as iPhones and androids can control the bulb from an app, there must be some way of speaking directly to the bulb without an intermediate server, so you could try to sniff out some packages using wireshark and see if you are lucky and the commands are http.

This I have to agree with you.

It should have been http commanded right out of the box..

And the official API needs indeed another server to run the scripts on..

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_sad.png" alt=":(" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Well, I should wait now for another maker/product of this type.

Maybe LG will do a better job.I saw lg and samsung came in to the field of wifi LEds

Yeah... I'm also hoping for some more competition! The Hue bulbs does everything I need, but I'd like to see some more competition to drive down the price to a more realistic price range!

Nvm, switched over to HUE

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />