Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

GU10 compatability

Guest David R

Question

Guest David R

Hello people. I am installing Fibaro this weekend and have trailing edge LEDS in at the moment. I know these will not be compatible as the Fibaro is leading edge. My question is does anyone know the best GU10 led lamps to use are? Im resorting back to the 50watt halogens for the time being. Thanks in advance.

7 answers to this question

Guest David R
  • Inquirer
  • Thanks for the reply. Im not sure I would trust Ikea lamps. These came out worse in the Which tests. Are the philips leading edge?

I'm using dimmable Philips GU10 bulbs at the moment and they work quite OK with Fibaro dimmer. Dimming is not as smooth and soft as with halogen - these bulbs have 4 levels of light and they "jump" between them as you move your slider.

I highly recommend that you drop halogens in connection with Fibaro dimmer unless you want your house burned. I had two incidents already. When one bulb burned, my Fibaro dimmer burned too (or to be more precise: physically melted around the coil and it kept melting until I've disconnected it from power source). The second burned bulb made dimmer simply broken. Quite expensive to replace approx. 100$ equipment every time your bulb decides to die. Not to mention total lack of fire safety.

Even when halogen bulbs don't burn, Fibaro dimmers go very warm with halogens (I was using up to 3 x 25W per dimmer) and I guess that doesn't make them last forever...

Guest spazpeker
  • Inquirer
  • I have over a 100 megaman 6w bulbs they work fine with dimmer, but I have to use a dimmer bypass and no neutral

Guest David R
  • Inquirer
  • Ive heard megaman are leading edge. what the dimming range like? what percent do they get down to? Thanks

Guest spazpeker
  • Inquirer
  • Down to 5-10%

bulbs i have

Please login or register to see this link.

In my experience NONE of the LED bulbs are "leading edge". I have been using LED bulbs for quite some time now and I use a mixture of Philips, Ikea, Megamann, Osram and CREE. None of them live as long as they should. They all break too early regardless of whether you actually dim them or not and if you buy a LED bulb from a particular range today and need to replace it in 6 months time, the new one you buy will have a slightly different colour.

So, when it comes to LED bulbs in my experience it is about finding the correct ratio between price and quality. That made me try the IKEA bulbs. And guess what - their failure rate is lower than what I have seen with the others.