Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

PWM -> 0-10/1-10 V, need to switch on/off live / phase to

lukas.polivka

Question

Hello,

I was thinking of using U-S2A converter to convert signal from Fibaro RGBW controller (24 V 240 Hz PWM) to 0-10 V (or rather 1-10 V) to control "Osram QUICKTRONIC INTELLIGENT DIM CFL" ECG (Electronic Control Gear).

It appears that this ECG (Electronic Control Gear) needs to have the live (phase) 230 V switched off to turn the controller loads off completely, as the ECG only dims 3-100 % using 1-10 V signal. (Or perhaps the ECG is "smart" enought to switch off when the control voltage drops to 0 V?)

Is anyone familiar with any relay capable of staying "closed" when the Fibaro PWM output is at 1-100 % but "open" when the PWM output is off (0 %)? Or a relay which would stay "open" for ~0-0.9… V but "closed" when the voltage level is 1-10 V?

Or do you know about any alternative? (Unfortunately replacing the CFL lights does not seem to be an option.)

U-S2A:

Please login or register to see this link.

Osram:

[ Added: 2014-10-10, 08:05 ]

An update: It seems that most likely this 1-10 V ECG is actually controlled by resistance (rheostat). I'm trying to get any contact in Osram to confirm this.

On 1-10 V vs. 0-10 V dimming (source:

):

The lights you have will contain 1-10v ballasts which require a current sink to operate. (a resistor, or more usually an electronic control unit)

A typical lighting desk will be 0-10v and provides a variable voltage output (i.e. a current source).

And (source:

):

There is also another system which first originated for fluorescent lights which is the 1-10V system. This is very different to 0-10V & they are not compatible! With the 1-10V system the lighting fixture supplies the voltage between the two terminals - when the terminals are open circuit the voltage will be 10V. The controller applies a 'resistance' between these to pull a current, the more current that is pulled, (ie. the lower the resistance) the more the voltage falls and the more the fixture dims.

Do you have any suggestion / alternative product which would be able to control such dimmer?

(I know, I know, the best solution would be to ditch the light fixtures completely and replace them with anything compatible with either FGD-211 or FGRGBWM-441 directly. But that's not very feasible at this time.)

[ Added: 2014-10-10, 10:36 ]

So I managed to get in touch with a person from Osram (Czech branch) - according to them it is indeed dimmable with variable resistance.

So I'd need PWM to variable resistance or leading-edge type dimmer to variable resistance convertor.

1 answer to this question

H(Or perhaps the ECG is "smart" enought to switch off when the control voltage drops to 0 V?)

So I'd need PWM to variable resistance or leading-edge type dimmer to variable resistance convertor.

No, it is not smart enough to turn itself off.

What I would do personally is to etiher build a passive PWM->R converter based on JFET, but that may be tricky to calibrate properly.

Else i would just drop an 32u4 into the equation and put a voltage divider over one analouge input to read the 0-10V from the Fibaro module and control the "master on/off" relay via that.

If you want to get fancy, one could use something like

to get 0-10 -> voltage divider -> 32U4 -> AD5246 which gives you a controlled resistor.

But as the osram is 0-10 V capable, i would not bother with a resistor workaround.