Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Mark as dead

kevindonnelly

Question

2 answers to this question

If your version is 3.X then it means that a communication failure with the device will give it a special status 'dead'. HC2 will no longer try to communicate with that device. That design choice was made, if I remember well, to avoid repeated retries an wish-thingies if the device is really 'dead'. A device can be dead for various reasons, an obvious example is a node that was powered off. Trouble is, and you can research this on this forum, HC2 seems to be rather quick to call a node 'dead'. So people run scripts that detect dead nodes an try to reanimate them (several examples to be found on the forum)

If your version is V4 I can only say that Fibaro has changed the logic behind dead nodes, and for my personal situation that's an improvement: no more spurious dead nodes. But that may be due to a related change: polling of devices. If you type 'polling' in the search box you'll quickly see the topic of polling and dead nodes in V4 is not a simple one...

So what is the exact type of your device and the exact problem you experience?

• Inquirer
  • Hi Peter.

Thanks for the reply, it is much appreaicated. When a add a device, the "Mark as dead:" automaticaly say "Yes". So i didn't know what it meant or what effect it would have. If i used it in a "Scene" for example, would HC2 try use it or not.  I am not new to Home Automation like this as i normally use X10 with Indigo for MAC but times are changing and this technology excited me. I have been playing with the Software now for some 24-48hrs and although it looks great, its not very informative. Don't get me wrong, there is lots of information on the screen but not concise in what it all means. I'm a great believer in understanding a product fully but cannot find a full Up-to-Date user manual. The New Z Wave Motion and Multi Sensor for example… before the V4.033 update, it would not detect the device properly at all. After the update, there are lots settings but still trying to work out what they all do.

Tiny Steps…..