Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

UBS hooked to phone line?

Joystick

Question

Hi all!

I want my UBS signal me when the phone rings( in this case doorbell, hooking up to doorbell is not possible)

Could I simply connect him in between the phone line in/out and get a signal every time the phone rings?

Cheers

3 answers to this question

Can you post the documentation of that phone/doorbell thing you are describing? A "phone" can be many things. But I can say in general: no you can't connect a UBS to a "phone". The UBS needs "a contact that opens and closes, without being connected to *anything else*" (aka "dry contact" or "potential free contact"). For instance, a relay or a switch. I have not extensively researched if there are interfaces between an analog phone (48 V DC plus ringing voltage, also known as "POTS" or "Plain Old Telephony Service") - but I doubt it. A search for an Arduino project didn't bring up something useful (on the first page). But now I am assuming that you are talking about POTS, which may be untrue, so maybe see if you can find that documentation!

• Inquirer
  • well, yeah, I have found the technical specs, its a Door Communication module, they say:

Power supply via analogue extension port (PBX) 16 – 60 V DC

Loop power, depending on operating < 1 mA / 20 – 60 mA

The actual current I provide to the DoorCom Module is 12V AC

I have another Fibaro RGBW controller lying around here... could this be a solution?

cheers

joystick

What is it you want to do? No you can not connect a ubs to the public telephone line (pots). But I am sure you are talking about a doorbell?

Perhaps provide a drawing or product specs?