Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

HC 2 make a Lot of interferensen on my hamradio short wave

Mobbe999

What kind of interference? The z-wave frequency is 868.4Mhz so quite a long way from shortwave? I suppose you haven't placed the antennas right next to each other?

Please login or register to see this link.

this will be probably the HC2 power supply, unfortunately Fibaro is using one-hung-low china supplies, and some of them (especially these with round top enclosure) are *.

this will be probably the HC2 power supply, unfortunately Fibaro is using one-hung-low china supplies, and some of them (especially these with round top enclosure) are *.

Well wouldn't be the first time Fibaro missed a standard or two but of it conforms to LVD/EMC and is CE (not China Equipment) marked then it should not emit any large amount of EMC?

• Topic Author
  • Thank you very much for your answers. It provides a signal 7 on my radio when HC2 go but I turn it off it disappears. It may also be the clock frequency of the processor so I've made up my mind to return the product thank you very much.

• Topic Author
  • Hamradio and HC2 are not even in the same building about 30 meters apart have measured with a hand-held radio and provides about disturbances at 80 meters from the HC2 so this is not for my hamradio friends it bothers a lot of 10-11-12 meters bands unfortunately

80 meters? can you replace the HC2 power supply (12V, 4A) and measure once again?

• Topic Author
  • Sorry but I have left back HC2 and seek another solution had exactly the same problem with a dreambox it's not fun if you have to choose between controlling the house or talk hamradio since this is impossible with a signal strength of 7 with disorders

Does it sound like this?

Can you not build a filter for it?

• Topic Author
  • I have a hamradio very expensive and sophisticated with built-in filters both analog and digital filters, but it does not help, but it is Fibaro who must review their products, I can not use them if I should run hamradio.

fibaro have not to review anything, you have to provide a prove. As i said before, these power supplies with rounded top corners (nearly like this one:

), these are in my opinion *. Year ago or something, we ordered small batch, 5x HC2s, and each every was provided with this power supply, and each of them was *. Imagine that even the Powerline adapter from devolo was not working properly in same power socket! (and these Powerline things are normally the worst thing one can have at home from EMC point of view, so they should work when there are "other" *-spreaders near them). Anyway, we replaced them with proper meanwell power supplies and that's all. No idea if this was broken batch or one-time-batch, but since then i saw only once that power supply (a broken one) when repairing customers HC2. I do not see anything special here at home coming from the HC2 or it's power supply, this is why i asked for measurements (if you doing hamradio, you probably have spectrum analyzer, do you?).

• Topic Author
  • Have no spectrum analyzer, and there is no need, I have hunted EMC in my home for a long time, which has meant the replacement of various equipment led lamps charging cables fridge and Dreambox have been removed. It's very easy to track the source of interference with a handheld radio just to put against the product is suspected. I paid the 500 euros for HC2 and have no desire to modify or rebuild so the problem went back to the supplier problem solved.

honestly you must got hamradio license from second hand shop

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_mad.gif" alt=":-x" /> 

• Topic Author
  • so you mean that if fibaro deliver a product that produces EMC, it's my problem to fix this. I talked with the supplier about the problem but they had nothing to offer. This is a well-known problem among the world hamradio operators and I am extremely tired of solving such problems. Honestly I do not think you are capable of becoming hamradio operator wants to know why. Hamradio operators are polite which you're not.

first of all we speak about EMI (interference), and not EMC (compatibility -> which describes if EMI device is within specific EMC regulation).

Don't get me wrong, but as "hamradio operator" (honestly can't belive that, i did hamradio since i was 13 for ~20yrs and normally there is specific level of knowledge necessary to get license, but depends on country that might differ :\ Running with radio reciever/touching devices/PS can work to find "a transmitter", but is not professional and it's not EMC relevant, it's like what all these people crying about mobile phones are doing) you should know that difference, but anyway.

You should know as well, with a little electronic knowledge, how HC2 has been build (and what this means from EMC point of view)
    - an Intel EMC tested mainboard (blame Intel if they cheatting, but no, they not - i haven't found any "necessary shielding" specs)
    - an Fibaro produced PCB (with no own RF part, no switching mode parts, etc.) with Sigma Designs Z-Wave module (blame Sigma Designs, but no, they did they work as well)
    - on that board is Atmel µC as well, with own crystal (but no, there are no problem with crystal or what so ever)
    ​- shielded housing
    - OEM power supply, from a xxx supplier AND yyy manufacturer.

So when there are issues, then they comes from the power supply manufacturer (because this part may vary during product lifecycle). When producing something, one have to trust the subpart manufacturers, when they did their job and tested these power supplies (which they have to do), then there is nothing one can do - buy or die (or design your own power supply which actually nobody is doing). From what i saw, there was a batch with diferent power supplies, and they are *, so Fibaro even did more than necessary and replaced that batch again. Maybe you got another one broken batch, or maybe you just a dragon, whatever it was -> too late (because you missed the part of proper measurements to prove incompatibility, if any).

For my part, i did quick measurement with handheld SA, with and without Fibaro org. power supply, with and without HC2. And no, there is nothing above the noise between S5 (measured -95dBm) and S3 (measured -110dBm) , with 2/10/1000kHz RBW, span 25MHz to 30MHz, so no need for any deeper or detailed measurements.