Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

HC2 - Analyze mesh network (Route of Device, Neigbours)

nicobode

aHey, 

Today we'll show you how to analyze your Z-Wave mesh network with my  LUA scene. With this Scene you can see witch Route a specific Device use in your Z-Wave Network. 

What you need: 

Fibaro Home Center 2 with Firmware Version:  min. 4.510

Installation: 

A detailed Video installation guide (in German) you find here: 

Please login or register to see this link.

1. Create a New Lua Scene with this Content: 

Please login or register to see this code.

2.  Replace in Lua Code     device_id = 788;    with your ID what you want check -> in example it is 788 Important you must Add the Master ID of a device not the Slave ID 

3. Config of your output in Debug window:

• show_neighbours = false;  -- Show Neighbors of this device (witch Devices are next to checked device)
  • show_route = true; -- Show last working route of the device
  • show_sub_devices = false; -- Show slave devices
  • show_status = false;  -- Show statistics (last Update and more)
  • device_update = false;  -- Check device a a new Neighbors list

4. Press Start Scene and your Output come in your Debug window

When you want Check a complete room Please follow next instructions: 

4. Create a Global Variable with Name: scene_mesh_id

5. Create a second Lua Scene with this Content: 

Please login or register to see this code.

6. Replace room_id = 8 with your Room ID. 

7. Press Start Scene 

8. Your Output is showing in you Scene were you create First ! -> all 10 seconds one output 

When you have any questions feel free to ask. 

Best Regards, 

Nico 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by nicobode
  • Like 9

Just curious. This LUA scene is just to check the z-wave mesh? What to expect as output?

• Topic Author
  • 3 hours ago, chaicka said:

Just curious. This LUA scene is just to check the z-wave mesh? What to expect as output?

Hello,

see Screenshot in First Post. The Green lines mean -> what way use this device device ID 1 is Home Center in second example you see a device witch connect not direct with home center its going a way about 4 other devices. 

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2018_08/mesh-analyse-ergebniss-fibaro-home-center2.png.76ba2d88ec4d3e05c9448adb234118a7.png" alt="mesh-analyse-ergebniss-fibaro-home-center2.png.76ba2d88ec4d3e05c9448adb234118a7.png" />

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...

Now that @nicobode has given us a tool to discover just how good the "automatic routing" really is, does any one have my situation?

The output has truly stunned me - neighbouring devices (with clear line of sight to very sensible intermediary devices) are routing via multiple hops to totally distant and bizarre devices. It's really explained why certain devices are generally unreliable as they pass via 4 hops, whereas its close reliable neighbour might go via 1 hop to the HC2.

A reset / reconfigurations of mesh doesn't seem to make any difference - the devices hang on to their routing despite the madness.

I'm about to try switching off crazy intermediaries to force a re-route, unless anyone has better ideas?

Edited by NorthernRough

I can recommend this topic. I explain some of the important parts of Z-Wave routing and what the data on this report actually means.

3 hours ago, NorthernRough said:

a tool to discover just how good the "automatic routing" really is

The data is actually very hard to use... For example, most people assume Z-Wave knows the "distance" between nodes. It has no clue where devices are, it does not measure distance. And it does not care. It does know if something is "reachable" (and depending on the age of the devices uses some stats but it is not really a distance).

But I talk about that in more detail in that other topic...

EDIT: after rereading my answer... I might seem to suggest that I am an expert on this subject. Although I did a lot of research and spend a lot of time trying to understand Z-Wave routing, still many things remain unclear!

Please login or register to see this spoiler.

Edited by petergebruers

2 hours ago, NorthernRough said:

A reset / reconfigurations of mesh doesn't seem to make any difference - the devices hang on to their routing despite the madness.

I'm about to try switching off crazy intermediaries to force a re-route, unless anyone has better ideas?

sure, lot of. You will get one for free :idea:, got to advanced configuration of these devices which in your opinion does not change routing after mesh update, and click on "Soft reconfigure device". Do it for all devices in the "bad" (in your opinion) route. After that, go to zwave page and tell these device to update neighbors list. This procedure should force these devices to really "look around". 

17 minutes ago, tinman said:

sure, lot of. You will get one for free

If you get really bad delays... One of my recommendations would indeed be: contact a certified installer or support person, like @tinman

I have tried to help quite a few people with delays, sometimes with success, often a bit of progress but no solution. It can take a tremendous amount of time. And I am only an end-user.

Like @tinman I have many ideas... Thats not the problem. It's lack a combination of lack of diagnostic tools (you can make a Z-Wave Sniffer) combined with lack of knowledge (on many different levels... For example: interpreting the results of the sniffer).

Also, delays can have many causes that are not related to mesh update!

BTW some more discussion (or should I say: debate) about "mesh update" here:

Thanks @petergebruers and @tinman for your useful inputs.

I've added an visualiser too (thanks to Barelle on www.domotique-fibaro.fr) which helps see some of the complexity - I can see that as well as having some very odd multiple hop routes, much of my traffic is going via some potentially slow old devices.

I do understand that z-wave doesn't know the distance, and that what's logical to me may not be in fact the best route - but the surprise to me is that it is preferring routes through two concrete walls, rather than clear line of sight - so clearly an issue of the "mesh reconfiguration" holding on to bad routes, rather than comparing to better or fewer hop ones.

So, I'll start to systematically work through the worst cases. 

I'm quite excited - my wife and kids might start to love the system more!!

Ridiculous that Fibaro still don't provide decent diagnosis tools.

NR

11 hours ago, NorthernRough said:

I'm quite excited - my wife and kids might start to love the system more!!

very important :) 

11 hours ago, NorthernRough said:

Ridiculous that Fibaro still don't provide decent diagnosis tools.

it does, for certified installer only, with route map, neighbors list and easy to use mesh update tool.

For years, all these z-wave tools and information's about z-wave internals were only for "few chosen ones", luckily Silicon Labs bought z-wave technology, and Tyson Tuttle (CEO of Silabs) is not someone who wants this "sign NDA first, buy tools and then you will see if zwave is something for you" method, which has been used for years by Sigma Designs and Z-Wave Alliance. Now can everybody read all the z-wave documentation and use the tools, like Zniffer:

Fibaro implemented diagnostics long time ago in their products, simply enter "violet menu" with B-Button and measure the range.
    As this was not enough for complex networks, Fibaro implemented mesh reconfiguration (via LUA and in configuration menu), and now the mesh map and route tools for certified installers and route/mesh update each every night to fix - if any potential issues - for typical customers.

However, there are power users as well, who wish to see/touch more, without being "certified installer", this is why decided to post the hidden API calls (implemented since 4.500), to allow customers to build tools like the one you using now (visualizer). Now you can play and understand your system much better, without hiring installer to help you to fix it (i would probably spend that time with my family and let others do the work, but this is your choice).

• Like 1

Ahh, I stand corrected @tinman !

Good to hear that installers are well looked after.

4 hours ago, tinman said:

Now you can play and understand your system much better, without hiring installer to help you to fix it (i would probably spend that time with my family and let others do the work, but this is your choice).

Now you are making feel guilty. I enjoy the challenge, but over the years there have been times when the unreliability of earlier HC2 releases (had bad corruption etc) combined with the lack of diagnostic tools for us poor "users" have made me question my sanity. Very patient wife...

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the possibility to check the mesh network. However I have a problem with one device that is in range for the hc2 and it communicate directly but its far away. The battery doesn't last long and I would prefer if it use one extra jump to a wall-plug then to the HC2. Is it possible to do a manually routing?

• 10 months later...

Hi all,

One little challenge, that has given me sleepless nights. I hope someone could help...

Can you use this to create “indoor” navigation?

I have a keyfob and would like my system to tell me, which master is closest, when I push a button... Which Master is the first to receive the signal...