Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

TKB Thermostat Inclusion

Dunkigrease

Question

I have a HC2 and HCL system installed but I have problems in some rooms due to thick walls.  I have underfloor electric heating in each room and I am planning to upgrade all of the thermostats to TKB Z wave devices.  The inclusion instructions say that the thermostat has to be installed in its final location and included, but some of these thermostats will be connecting to the hub via other mains powered devices so I cannot do an install direct line of sight.  Does anyone know if I can do an install via another device?

thanks

Stephen

6 answers to this question

@Dunkigrease hi!

I am strong NOT recommend to  use Z-Wave TKB Thermostat for Floor Heating - Gen5

Please login or register to see this image.

1) temperature totally inaccurate (+/- 2°C)

2) after power cut-off or power outage you may get device loop boot 

Please login or register to see this code.

3) device sometime (90% from 100%) lost packets when a relay changing state from ON to OFF.and vice versa. so you can't understand the current state of heating in HC2 ) 

• Inquirer
  • Thanks for your feedback and it certainly gives me cause for concern.  I currently have some Thermopad (non z wave) thermostats.  My options are either replace them with Z wave thermostats but as I have eleven of them using something like the Heat It is out of the question. Another option would be to use a Qubino flush mounted thermostat in parallel with the existing thermostats.

As you have made me question the TBK units, can you recommend a reasonably priced alternative?

thanks

Stephen

1 minute ago, Dunkigrease said:

As you have made me question the TBK units, can you recommend a reasonably priced alternative?

sorry, but I hate to say this, but I'm disappointed with any thermostats.

My IMO - not buy thermostats. but just to buy, for example, UBS from Fibaro (as I can remember you said about eleven areas) (4 x 3 = 12) and 11 relays. 

ye you can't see and control current temp in the area via LED and buttons, but you will have more others options.

so, simple math 11 TKB - £70.00 * 11= £770

£30.00 * 4 UBS = £120

+

£48.00 & 11 Relays = £528

----

£648

prices from 

Please login or register to see this link.

• Inquirer
  • Update - and response to 10der

I did buy one thermostat to try and it seemed to work OK.  I then bought another 10 units.

I have seen the bug that you highlighted i.e. the boot loop.  However I found that I could easily overcome this by changing the set temperature below the room temperature at the Fibaro Controller.  This cleared the problem.  I now have the system set up with the Fibaro temperature control scheduler and all is working very well.

I find that the digital control of the floor heating element by the TKB is much more precise than my original older analog thermostats. 

So despite this obvious bug, (which has not reoccured)  I am very happy with the TKB units.

The only problem is that (of course) Fibaro do not have a template for it.  Also the Room Heater Controller screens do not show in the iphone Fibaro App.

5 hours ago, Dunkigrease said:

Also the Room Heater Controller screens do not show in the iphone Fibaro App.

it's not true :)

Please login or register to see this spoiler.