Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

HE-ZW-THERM-FC HELTUN Fancoil Thermostat with 3-level blower motor control - review and issues

Mosskit

Question

Hi,

I've been looking quite long for a device that will suite my needs: 

- control of a Convector Heater in my floor with 

- fancoil element support

- 3 level fan speed control

- AC 230 powered

- z-wave connected

There are several devices present on the market that provide almost that functionality like:
-MCO Home 

-Heat It

-Some Honeywell Thermostats

- with a single but... they simply are too bulky to fit standard EU round 60mm electrical box  and not all of them support fan control. Found that HELTUN has it all. As company is based in Armenia so I was a bit sceptical at first glance  but had no choice other than try it. I connctacted they office and product was shipped to Poland in several days. It got stucked for 2 weeks on custom office however this is normal in my country nowadays especially that it was a Christmas time. Product came nicely packed see pics attached.  Front panel is tempered glass covered with capcity touch buttons and controlable sensitivity level . Mounting is super easy as a whole body of thermostat you can screw to the electrical box in wall and then attach its fron panel. Whole panel seems too be not too thick (around 9mm) and nicely designed. Company offers several colours of frame and glass of front panel. All five Fan/Coil relays can be dry/wet conctact with a source of choice. They work 230AC in my scenario without an issue. Device is equipped with Light Sensor and Humidity Sensor as well. Hard to tell if humidity measurement is right as I have no other indication in the neightborhood but temp seems to be really accurate based my old devices being isntalled in same place.  Screen brithenss is auto adjusted by the illumination of the ambient environment but can be also set manually if preffered.  Device supports S0, S2 unauthorized and S2 authorized inclusion modes. Hardware is equipped with new z-wave plus chipset. More details you can find in a brochure and the web: 

Please login or register to see this link.

. I have also attached manual of device (2-Manual_v1.0_FanCoil_Thermostat.pdf)

In terms of Fibaro HC2 interface, Heldun claims device is not z-wave certified yet but its a matter of time, thus it worked for my well with some minor bugs on iPad/iPhone apps. The COMFORT (COM) mode (called in fibaro MAX) is simply missing there. Another thing is missing dev template (already sent to @FIBARO Case Notification for #155606) See some screenshots below:

1. WEB - all ok:

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2019_01/image.png.8fda5f98697769df3b0fbaddf5b18f6e.png" alt="image.png.8fda5f98697769df3b0fbaddf5b18f6e.png" />

image.png.b6090c9962c78af0c102f19f815fa5b0.png

2. ipad (MAX \COMFORT) Mode is missing
49766489_270910186934733_3375992148905164800_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-waw1-1.xx&oh=7767079ea1f582c9762a72787765f9c0&oe=5CD1ADDA

3. iphone - same here
49205113_10215732422996242_3591913705496903680_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-waw1-1.xx&oh=884ef74c07b409532e2e17d852fe540a&oe=5CD365D5

So there is ECO, Auto and OFF mode but COMFORT (called MAX In Fibaro WEB interface).

Can someone from @FIBARO team have a look on it?

After two days of testing I found, I would call it one moderate bug of firmware with fan control. I will give you an example with standard value of histeresis of 0.5 degC (can be changed). When Deviation (SP - PV) is less than histeresis value (0.5 degC) Heater element is in Idle and FAN OFF. Once I increase SP over histeresis value (more than 0.5 degC) it starts heating element and put Low Speed FAN ON which is expected. Now, If in similiar scenario I would increase SP to value when deviation is greater than 1degC, so that SP-PV is greater than 1degC it should start heating element and put fan speed to medium but it actually does not turn fan on what is wrong. In all other scenarios (deviation value, initial state of heating element) it works properly. I have reported this to Heltun already. They were really helpfull from the begining of installation process and promissed to release new firmware January/February so keep my fingers crossed. 

At the end of the day I see that product really flexible. It will suite needs of several types of HVAC installation and it suites standard electrical box. Has really catchy design with customisable panels. Retail price is 169Euro. This post is informational only and I was not sponsored by Heltun or any 3rd party company. Feel free to ask if you have questions.

Atachments: 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by AnonymousJohn
Summary added

12 answers to this question

Hello

great post with a good explanation of the heltun fan coil thermostat>

I have the heltun fan coil now fore 3 months it works perfect it is a good product.

I also have a mco home fan coil thermostat  it is a bit harder to control than the heltun.
It works with a fixt hysteresis of 0.5 so that is a bit too much you get a temperature fluctuation of 1 degree.
if you set it to 20 it wil go on when its 19,5 end go off on 20,5
And the mco home does not fit a standard installation box.

• Inquirer
  • 5 minutes ago, marius de jong said:

Hello

great post with a good explanation of the heltun fan coil thermostat>

I have the heltun fan coil now fore 3 months it works perfect it is a good product.

I also have a mco home fan coil thermostat  it is a bit harder to control than the heltun.
    It works with a fixt hysteresis of 0.5 so that is a bit too much you get a temperature fluctuation of 1 degree.
    if you set it to 20 it wil go on when its 19,5 end go off on 20,5
    And the mco home does not fit a standard installation box.

Indeed, I almost bought MCO Home Fan Coil Thermostat but after further investigatoion found that latest model does not suite round electrical boxes. Where have you managed to buy Heltun FanCoil termostat? As far as I know it was supposed to available in EU retailer (Germany) in January 2019.

I bought it from heltun.

And the mco I fitted it in a build on frame but it sticks out of the wall for 5cm so I hit it all the time when I walk into the room;(

• Inquirer
  • Can you double check what version is your device?

My dev:

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2019_01/image.png.18c4df37b2bdfeb060d96a4b270bc07f.png" alt="image.png.18c4df37b2bdfeb060d96a4b270bc07f.png" />

I wonder if you observed the same bug. To give you more details - the thermostat does not switch ON its Fan to Medium speed when it goes from IDLE state.
    So:
    IDLE to Low sweed - works properly
    IDLE to High speed - works properly
    Low speed to Medium speed - works properly
    High speed to Medium speed - works properly
    IDLE to Medium speed - does not work. 

To replicate you need to remotely set SP to be higher than: PV value + 0.5degC + (your histeresis value) and lower than: PV+ 1.5degC + (your histeresis value).

Can you please verify ?

Thanks

Maciej

Yes my thermostat does the same thing

IDLE to Medium speed - does not work

also checkt the mco home

IDLE to Medium speed - does works properly

Edited by marius de jong

• Inquirer
  • I've just received confirmation from Heltun. They are really quick. Bug is found and fixed. New firmware is available in link below. There is also a manual:

Our engineers found the bug in our software and successfully solved it.
    But as i told before, in order to update the device firmware you need in some Z-Wave USB controller because the Fibaro does not support OTA update.

Here is the update instruction:
    Please download the archive 

with the new firmwares and OTA update software (Z-Wave - PC controller v5.30).
    The video instruction for the update procedure is here 

Please do follow:
    1. Extract the archive and install the software "ZWaveController_v5_30_Setup.msi" from folder "Z-Wave - PC controller v5.30"
    2. Exclude your thermostat from any controller (if it is included)
    3. Put your Z-Wave USB controller
    4. Open the software "Z-Wave PC Controller 5"
    5. Go to "Settings" and choose your controller in Serial Port Source and press "OK" button
    6. Go to "Network Management" and press "Add"
    7. On the thermostat go to Settings (hold the Settings button for a few seconds) and go to param 29 and press "+" button.
    8. Remove all checkboxes from security modes and press Ok
    Now the thermostat startes inclusion to your USB controller.
    9. As soon as the inclusion is finished. go to Home screen (on PC controller software) then press "OTA Firmware Update"
    10. Choose the device on left side and press "Get" button. You can see that your firmware version is 1.0
    11. On firmware Update section press on the button "folder" and choose the new firmware file (FanCoil_EU_OTA_v1.1.1.hex) than press "Update button"
    Now the update is started and you can see UPd on the thermostat screen. It will take a few minutes.
    As soon as all packets will be pushed to the device, on the thermostat screen you will see LOAd and it will be freeze for about 30 sec.
    Then the thermostat will come to normal mode.
    10. Press the GET button on the software to check the firmware version, now it must be 1.01
    11. Go to Home mode than to "Network Management" and press "Remove"
    12. On the thermostat go to Settings mode, go to param 29 and press "+" button. The thermostat will be excluded from your USB controller.
    the device is updated and ready to be included to your main z-wave controller.

I am attaching those data here just incase for the future.

I wish @FIBARO was at least half responsive like they are in debugging.

On 1/3/2019 at 7:07 PM, mosskit said:

There are several devices present on the market that provide almost that functionality like:
    -MCO Home 

-Heat It

-Some Honeywell Thermostats

There is one more RF-enabled thermostat for fancoils - 

Edited by Oleksandr

13 hours ago, Oleksandr said:

There is one more RF-enabled thermostat for fancoils - 

but its not zwave so it does not work with hc2