Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Sonos plugin data usage

amsfibuser

Question

A couple of months ago I decided I wanted to be more aware of what all my IoT stuff is doing. So I bought a Ubiquity Security Gateway and moved all my IoT stuff to a separate network. Except for my Sonos speakers, because they don't work well across networks :-( I switched DPI on and just waited a while.

This is what I got:

Please login or register to see this attachment.

First you see the Fibaro, then you see my wife's iPhone (she likes streaming stuff), then the 2 Sonos speakers, my Synology etc... I was wondering what the *** Fibaro was downloading all the time, so I Wiresharked it for a while. It appeared most connections were going to the 3 Sonos units and NOT to the internet (they run through my router, because the Sonos and the Fibaro are on different subnets). I realized I once setup those Sonos-plugins for each speaker and although we never use them, they apparently are talking to each other quite intensively. Whether the speakers are running or not, whether anyone has the Fibaro app/webinterface open or not, they are talking: 90-100 packets per second!

So I removed the device from Fibaro, while watching packets on the Sonos speaker and this it what happens:

659641784_wiresharkgraph.PNG.3ab8d34ab25cef8a4641992786a44883.PNG

The second I confirmed the removal of the device on Fibaro (after about 2 minutes of listening), traffic went down to about 20 packets every 2 minutes.

Besides some awareness (I think you should know about this, if you use it), does anyone have any idea of what sense this makes? I mean isn't checking the speaker every 1 second enough? And maybe even slow it down if nothing is happening? I also see a lot of retransmissions and out-of-orders.

2 answers to this question

If you asking about VD for,Sonos by KriKri ;) yes. All Fibaro VD (if you not setup additional sleep) calling VD loop every 5 seconds 

so sonos VD Will poll sonos via WiFi every 5 secs. 

If do do not want poll sonos and spam WiFi you can simple disable mail loop of sonos VD

in this case you must use update button otherwise all visual controls on sonos VD will be look as dead 

I thinking your clear understand what I mean. 

• Inquirer
  • The plugin I'm talking about is the plugin from Fibaro itself. I've been checking the packets and it seems to be running a loop every second doing:

Please login or register to see this code.

So, yes within this 1 second, GetVolume is done twice. GetPositionInfo is also done twice, but the request is not exactly the same.

It is, by the way, not doing these requests all at the same time and then waiting for 1 second, these 6 requests take about a second and seem to be in a continuous loop.