Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Howdy from Switzerland

wunnspeed

An absolute newbie to the whole home automation thing.

We have a new house that I'd like to be able to partially automate but I really would like to avoid the Hue system. The primary thing I want are smart switches and maybe an outlet or two. I really don't know where to begin and whether a hub is needed, etc. The amount of time I've spent in this Rabbit Hole the last 3 weeks is off the charts. Curiously, I don't feel that I've learned too terribly much other than most of Switzerland (where I live) uses Hue and trying to use anything else seems to be a challenge.

So, in short... newbie, looking at single/double/dimmer switches, possibly outlets. Do I need/want a hub? Oh, I'm primarily an Apple guy and would, as much as possible, like to stick with one system as much as possible. I forgot one thing, I have an old DLink outlet on my coffee machine and it makes me beyond happy. I guess I do know a little after all.

Thanks.... wunnspeed