Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Sirens that work with HC2?

knuth

Question

I am looking to by a z-wave siren which is fully implemented in HC2, with templates for the parameters. Any suggestions? I was initially thinking of the Aeotec Siren 6, but other threads seem to indicate that it is not supported in HC2 (and only for some FW-versions in HC3). What about other sirens? Any good experience to be shared? 

11 answers to this question

for sure you can use older Aeotec siren 5, but i would probably buy Siren 6, ask Aeotec support for the firmware 1.4 (to downgrade it - don't install the Doorbell firmware, it will break some things on Siren 6), buy z-wave stick and use PC Controller to setup sound and volume. Once this is done, you can use Siren 6 or Doorbell 6 on HC2. Sure, you must use each time the z-wave stick if you wish to change volume and/or sound, but that's the only restriction - to turn on/off the tones you pre-selected it's good enough.

• Inquirer
  • Thanks, @tinman . If I need the Aeotec stick to downgrade the FW to 1.4, it seems a bit too much. I only have the HC2, and dislike having to buy a z-wave stick only to downgrade a newly bought Siren 6.  Two questions:

- If I stay with the current FW (1.6, is it?), what will work and what will not with the HC2?

- You say you need to use the stick to change volume or sound. But isn't that assigned through the parameters? E.g.: Parameter 3 applies to endpoint 3 (= "doorbell 1"). What defines which of the 13 available sounds this endpoint uses? Is it possible to change this directly through an IP command in my browser? Or through other means, without a z-wave stick?

you can stay on 1.6, but you have anyway to use z-wve stick to change settings, you can't set sound options with parameters (from HC2)

• Inquirer
  • I found this old thread where a solution is indicated to change the sound on one of  the slave devices. Still not a good implementation, and you @tinman point out in the 2019 thread that the chipset in HC2 will never allow the appropriate “sound class” to be fully implemented. I assume that also rules out the possibility to find other sirens with programmable sounds that are fully implemented in HC2 ? In other words, I should stop looking, buy the Aeotec 6 and a z-wave stick, and take it from there? 

If you need a sirene to make noice:

buy any sirene 220 -240 V

connect on wall plug or Fibaro relay

wallah

it will work. I connected a 12V Flash light on this way.

If you plan to buy later on a HC3 than buy AEOTEC doorbell grat device and all is working.

Succes,

//Sjakie

• Inquirer
  • 1 minute ago, Sjakie said:

If you need a sirene to make noice:

No, I need to be more selective, I am afraid (but a simple solution, I agree!) I am too old for "noise only" ?. The 30 different sounds on the Aeotec Siren/Doorbell is exactly what I want. If only they were accessible...

Okay, than buy a HC3 you will love all the different sounds of Aeotec>>I use different sound for:

-ring alarm is garding the outside of the complex if we are at home between sunset/sunrise and activating alarm scene.

- breached window door in arming scene

-smoke alarm

-CO alarm if installed

-doorbell

- if shed door opens

Okay IF YOU BUY hc3 only for the beautiful sound its rather expensive but the ear experience may cost something!

Succes in making your choise,

//Sjakie

On 6/13/2021 at 11:34 PM, tinman said:

for sure you can use older Aeotec siren 5, but i would probably buy Siren 6, ask Aeotec support for the firmware 1.4 (to downgrade it - don't install the Doorbell firmware, it will break some things on Siren 6), buy z-wave stick and use PC Controller to setup sound and volume. Once this is done, you can use Siren 6 or Doorbell 6 on HC2. Sure, you must use each time the z-wave stick if you wish to change volume and/or sound, but that's the only restriction - to turn on/off the tones you pre-selected it's good enough.

We have known each other for years, @tinman

So you know I am not commenting on this particular remark. It is awesome that you are still here to help us with these problems. I am saying this for al those new users who have no clue who we are and where what we think is important....

As customers, we expect to be able to buy, mix and match Z-Wave devices, isn't it?

Please login or register to see this link.

Please login or register to see this code.

Unfortunately, the Z-Wave spec defines "compatible" as "giving you basic, limited, support". So if HCx reduces a Siren with X different sounds "a Siren with on/off" that's totally in line with their definition!

I am not sure why we still put up whit this kind of marketing blurb.

They should be honest about the fact there is such thing as "infinite backwards compatibility" and no one wants to rewrite the code (the old Z-Wave engine of HCx) to fix it. I understand that, but I bought mine in 2012 or 2013, I cannot remember. IT was sold until... ?

IMHO both the Siren and the HCx are expensive enough to expect a fix. It won't happen though. Go buy a "HCx +1".

People who know me might remember that I have ranted about the first generation of "series 700 Z-Wave chip" (designed by Sigma and ditched by Silabs) and talked about ESP8266, that was probably the year 2018.

Since then, nothing exciting happened in Z-Wave Land... Look what ESP8266 and ESP32 are capable of (and at what price point) in 2021... It is no longer a geek product that requires intimate knowledge of C++ and microcontrollers, you kind of buy stuff and mix and match

You own the product, you own the firmware. I can still make this work in 2031 because I'll still have WiFi and I still have the code. Maybe I won't have the compiler though :rolleyes:

Gosh... Making a Siren and allow the user the select from 32 sounds ... how hard can it be

• Like 2

@petergebruers>>>>very hard!!!

For me its what shall I say?

If Fibaro was developing 2 years ago a doorbell I could understand their long way of .........delaying this device to work properly.

What will it cost for a ingenieur to tackle those "little'point to make customers happy.

I dare to bet give the proper info to one of the smart forum members here and it should be solved today.

Where a will is there is a way!  But our problem is they dont have a will they even dont want!!

Succes,

//Sjakie

The Everspring SE812 (

) has worked flawlessly for me with HC2, but is indoor only. Seems it is no longer manufactured/available though.

Battery powered (have had it for well over 2 years and no battery change has been required yet), so flexible on positioning.

Am in the market for an outdoor one (mains or battery), and so far no luck finding any that work with HC2 out of the box...

Of all brands, Ring seem to be Z-wave compatible, but cannot find any reference to it being compatible with HCx?