Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Residual light when RGBW are off

Guest Benrive

Guest Benrive

Hello everyone,

I have several Fibaro RGBW connected to led strips. Something strange happens to me in some of them only.
When they are OFF, if it is completely dark you still see residual light.
I know there are bypasses for dimmers, but in the case of RGBW, what should be done?.

The problem is that it is in the room and it really shows when you sleep.

I have taken a picture.

The first with Flash and second completely dark. ( In both photos the light is off )

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by Benrive

Guest Benrive
  • Topic Author
  • 4 minutes ago, SmartHomeEddy said:

Seen and read if before

I've been looking this morning, but I couldn't find the post. Maybe I'm not using the right words. Will you help me?

Modern LEDs have become so efficient, even a few uA (micro ampere) make them glow... There might be some stray resistance or capacitance at work here.

Add a resistor, somewhere between 100 kilohm and 1 megaohm across the LEDs. It is is trick often used in commercial light bulbs both to discharge them a little faster when turned of and to avoid glowing

I have had it with HUE too simular.

My fix was bri=-10

I dont have RGB but perhaps it helps you on the way?

//Sjakie

Guest Benrive
  • Topic Author
  • 3 hours ago, Sjakie said:

I have had it with HUE too simular.

My fix was bri=-10

I dont have RGB but perhaps it helps you on the way?

//Sjakie

Hello @Sjakie, I have tried this option. It was the simplest, but the result is the same.

I really expected it, because everything looks like it is a problem of residual light as he comments @petergebruers.

I have bought a kit of resistors since I will have to try different values.

One question @petergebruers, it is a fibaro RGBW module, I have to put the resistor in parallel between ground - and +12/24v of the module output, right where the positive cable that feeds the led strip is.
    Correct?

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2022_03/Kompozycja_11.png.f5e05ccc7fc7af53ddfd5574851f42e9.png" />

Sorry for not having been clearer from the start. Between P(12/24V) and "Out1 (R)", another one between P(12/24V) and B and so on. Or only on the channel that is bothering you (eg you might not see anything on R,G,B but only on W then a single resistor between P(12/24V) and W should be enough).

Guest Benrive
  • Topic Author
  • 29 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

Sorry for not having been clearer from the start. Between P(12/24V) and "Out1 (R)", another one between P(12/24V) and B and so on. Or only on the channel that is bothering you (eg you might not see anything on R,G,B but only on W then a single resistor between P(12/24V) and W should be enough).

OK, I'll see if it's a specific channel. Tomorrow I get the resistors and I'll tell you.
    Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Benrive
  • Topic Author
  • On 3/24/2022 at 12:14 PM, petergebruers said:

Modern LEDs have become so efficient, even a few uA (micro ampere) make them glow... There might be some stray resistance or capacitance at work here.

Add a resistor, somewhere between 100 kilohm and 1 megaohm across the LEDs. It is is trick often used in commercial light bulbs both to discharge them a little faster when turned of and to avoid glowing

Hi @petergebruers,

You were right, I have been doing tests and finally a 470kOh resistor in parallel +12v and the color white have solved the root problem.

P+12v --- OUT4 ( White )

Thank you very much

22 hours ago, Benrive said:

finally a 470kOh resistor in parallel +12v and the color white have solved the root problem.

Thank you for reporting back. Good to know.

• Thanks 1