Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

What fibaro device should I use to control two 12-24v DC solenoid valves.

natrimed

Question

Hi All

Would a double switch or double relay switch be the right device to control two 12-24v DC solenoid valves? Mains is 240v AC. I suppose that I would need a 240v AC to 24v DC transformer?

Wiring diagrams for the electrician would be useful.

Thank you.

16 answers to this question

@natrimedHi you can use the double smart modul

Please login or register to see this link.

. Be aware the double smart module can only be used with 110-240V AC or 24-30 DC, not both together.

You will also need a 240V AC to 24V DC Power supply to make it working.

Look at the diagramm below

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Inquirer
  • 21 hours ago, Fabir said:

@natrimedHi you can use the double smart modul

. Be aware the double smart module can only be used with 110-240V AC or 24-30 DC, not both together.

You will also need a 240V AC to 24V DC Power supply to make it working.

Look at the diagramm below

@Fabir Thank you so much. That was very helpful. I did not realise that they had the double smart module.

@natrimedYou're welcome

Edited by Fabir

Be aware that connecting a solenoid directly to a Fibaro device is not recommended. From the manual "Compatible load types:  resistive or incandescent only". A solenoid is an inductive load and may damage the output circuit. Some on here will tell you that it works ok, but it is risky.

A better way is to have the Fibaro device connected to a slave relay, and the slave relay connected to the solenoid. That takes the heavy inductive load off the Fibaro.  You can also use a Smart Implant instead of a Smart Module in this case, this allows you to use 12V as well as 24V. Both devices give you 2 channels, and you'll need 2 relays to drive 2 solenoids.

• Like 1

• Inquirer
  • On 3/6/2023 at 9:55 AM, Tim__ said:

Be aware that connecting a solenoid directly to a Fibaro device is not recommended. From the manual "Compatible load types:  resistive or incandescent only". A solenoid is an inductive load and may damage the output circuit. Some on here will tell you that it works ok, but it is risky.

A better way is to have the Fibaro device connected to a slave relay, and the slave relay connected to the solenoid. That takes the heavy inductive load off the Fibaro.  You can also use a Smart Implant instead of a Smart Module in this case, this allows you to use 12V as well as 24V. Both devices give you 2 channels, and you'll need 2 relays to drive 2 solenoids.

@Tim__Thanks for your advice. Please show how the Smart Module would be wired to the 12V power supply and the solenoid. The solenoid valves are latching so only need a temporary power to turn them on and off. What would be the settings to the module parameters to achieve this?

@Fabir, Since Input and outpus are isolated from mains, you can connect it to 230V and control different Voltage. I'm using double smart module to control my boiler that has potentionalty free (no Voltage) control and it did not failed since.

2 hours ago, jakub.jezek said:

@Fabir, Since Input and outpus are isolated from mains, you can connect it to 230V and control different Voltage. I'm using double smart module to control my boiler that has potentionalty free (no Voltage) control and it did not failed since.

@jakub.jezekHi, in your case, you are have no Voltage at all, on the relais terminals and inputs. But your statement about different Voltage above is according to the manual, not correct. Look below.

• Inquirer
  • @Tim__@Fabir Just realised that the latching solenoids need to alternate the polarity to switch on and off. Any idea how this can be achieved?

@natrimedDid you use a Fibaro double smart module? Can you share a diagramm how erverything is connected?

This design uses Fibaro FGS 224, 2 x 24V SPDT relays, and a 24V DC power supply. 

Pulse Q1 for 1 second to turn on.  Pulse Q2 for 1 second to turn off.

• Inquirer
  • 9 hours ago, Tim__ said:

This design uses Fibaro FGS 224, 2 x 24V SPDT relays, and a 24V DC power supply. 

Pulse Q1 for 1 second to turn on.  Pulse Q2 for 1 second to turn off.

Hi @Tim__. Thanks for that. Really appreciate the input. Is there any way to do this with the Smart implant (FGBS-222) instead of the Double smart FGS 224?

12 hours ago, Fabir said:

@natrimedDid you use a Fibaro double smart module? Can you share a diagramm how erverything is connected?

Hi @Fabir. Hi haven't connected the solenoids yet. I have the Smart implant on order but can change to double smart module if required.

You're welcome. Yes you can use the smart implant instead. Then you can choose either 12V or 24V power supply too.

Use one side of the smart implant output 1 instead of Q1, and likewise one side of output 2 instead of Q2. Connect the other sides of the outputs together and to positive power supply. Obviously also provide power to the implant itself.

@natrimedThank you for the diagramm.

You can go with the solution from Tim, the Smart Implant is a really nice product, I use it mostly together with DS18B20 Temp sensors.

The two Smart Implant outputs only tolerate 150mA load. I don't know the specs of your SPDT relays. I would hesitate, to connect two relays to this tiny device.

I still recommend the

for this use case, because it has a very usefull feature for your use case, Paramter 164, it can Lock simultaneous switching of Q1 and Q2 outputs. The smart implant, doesn't have this feature. 

Look below.

Edited by Fabir

If you do use a smart implant, as Fabir suggests, you should check the relay coil current draw. A small relay will typically use 10 to 50mA. An automotive relay typically uses 150 to 200mA, which is too much for the smart implant.  I have a couple of smart implants connected to small slave relays with no problems.

You could consider getting a small DIN rail enclosure for this project.  Phoenix Contact make DIN rail relays, and Meanwell make DIN power supplies. Haseman make Fibaro DIN enclosures (you can buy from the zwavecentre store).

• Inquirer
  • @Tim__ @Fabir Thank you for your help. Would these relays work? 

This would be the 12v power supply.

Much appreciated.

The relays are fine. The power supply will also work, it might be overkill, but I do not know how many amps your solenoid draws.

• Like 1