Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

6 years too old for a Motion Sensor and Wall Plug?

krza

Question

Hi,

I can get a Motion Sensor and a Wall Plug which have no been used for about 5 years. So they are at least 6 years old and assumingly of first generation or something. Don´t have any further information about codes, labels or IDs.

Are these devices probably too old, so should I rather buy newer ones? Don´t know how much the HW has changed over time and if its firmware can be updated. Maybe the quality of sensing or the internal power consumption is much higher than of the actual devices?

Not sure. Any suggestions? Take it or forget it? ;)

2 answers to this question

@krza

Everything depends on the price. For example, 20-30% of the price could be accepted, but only in case that it really worked only 1 year.
Movement sensor can be in order, but I would rather forget the electric wallplug.
Wallplug was very often. Personally, I left from the next and went to Shelly Wallplug.

With Fibaro HC you can do the FW upgrade if released. For 6 years it is quite a time and for some element the generation has been changed.

Mostly we got 2 generation of products.

• First one is based on z-wave 300 chip firmware version below 3.0
  • second  is based on z-wave 500 chips firmware over 3.0
  • third one is based on 700 or 800 z-wave chip (few products)

We support all our products so all of them should work

If you're asking if it's better to buy new or 6-year-old used I would answer new. You have a warranty, and you can be sure that the product will endure for a few more years, and sometimes you can get a newer generation device that can run longer on battery power or has a longer range or additional functionality.