Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Am I expecting too much from Fibaro or are they lagging behind?

Sonzy

Hi everyone,

I am a long-time user of Fibaro devices and I have been satisfied with their performance and functionality. However, I am also concerned about the future of Fibaro and whether they are fast enough with keeping up with the latest trends and technologies in the smart home market. I don’t want to end up like a BlackBerry user who lost all their investment in a once-dominant brand.

I have noticed that Fibaro has been very slow in developing new products and features, and their software updates are often delayed or buggy. For example, the HC3 firmware is still in the beta version for months, Zigbee integration is far from being good for more than two years and still in the beta phase, and Thread technology is not even mentioned!. Moreover, they have not fully integrated their devices with popular voice assistants like Alexa and Google Assistant, which limits their usability and convenience.

I wonder if Fibaro is losing its competitive edge and innovation, and whether they are still committed to providing the best smart home solutions for their customers. I am worried that investing now in Fibaro devices might be a risky decision, as they might become obsolete or unsupported in the near future. I would like to hear your opinions and experiences with Fibaro, and whether you think they are on the right path or I am the one who is rushing things and having high expectations -I hope I'm wrong-. Thank you for your time and feedback.

Edited by Sonzy

I am adding a comment to the part regarding voice assistant controls. Fibaro devices are controllable from Google assistant and Siri either. So you probably has missed something. I am using almost exclusivly voice commands more than 3 years. There are some limitations when it comes to thermostats but switches are perfectly controllable from Fibaro.

Edited by Neo Andersson
  • Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Yes you are right, sorry about not making my self clear

4 hours ago, Neo Andersson said:

I am adding a comment to the part regarding voice assistant controls. Fibaro devices are controllable from Google assistant and Siri either. So you probably has missed something. I am using almost exclusivly voice commands more than 3 years. There are some limitations when it comes to thermostats but switches are perfectly controllable from Fibaro.

20 hours ago, Sjakie said:

@Neo Andersson perhaps you can post an example?

What do you mean? Example for what? Voice control?

We use everywhere Google. There is nothing else to do, just install Google Home, link with Fibaro and you are good. Thats it. 

You can rename your devices in Google for your liking, so you can call them in voice command as you want.

@Neo Andersson sorry I don't need it, my house operates automatically without voice commands. 

I thought perhaps it was a good idea for the person with the remark

3 hours ago, Sjakie said:

@Neo Andersson sorry I don't need it, my house operates automatically without voice commands. 

I thought perhaps it was a good idea for the person with the remark

Ofcourse, everything is working automatically, but the voice control  is just an additional plus feature.

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Ive mentioned above that I didn't express my self well and I've strickedthough the part of the voice command full control. I'm taking about the main idea of this Topic is Fibaro lagging behind or not? with the examples of being in firmware beta for months, Zigbee beta for years and mentioning nothing about Thread integration.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an interesting summary of the current smarthome market situation:

Please login or register to see this link.

"... Why Homey, FIBARO, Aeotec, and SmartThings are Falling Behind

While these brands have enjoyed success in the past, several factors are contributing to their decline in the face of competition from HomeAssistant Green, Shelly Z-wave, and Zigbee:

• High Costs: Brands like FIBARO and Aeotec tend to be on the pricier side, making them less appealing to budget-conscious consumers.
    • Limited Flexibility: Proprietary systems often come with restrictions, limiting users' ability to customize or expand their setups.
    • Compatibility Issues: As the smart home market grows, users are looking for platforms that can integrate with a wide range of devices. Brands that fail to offer this flexibility risk becoming obsolete."
    Edited by MacinZ
    • Like 2

Fibaro died in 2017 imo. Their support has little to no understanding how setpoint and schedules work - if they are presented with facts they just ignore them. The new yubii app is trash and has limited functionality compared to fibaro for tablet - and "fibaro for tablet" is not working with newer android models... I dont see it getting any better as fibaro hasn't fixed any old problems in about 5 years now. The modules itself aren't bad but he whole fibaro ecosystem is dead for years.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in 2005 I started with opensource (Homeseer), in 2015 I switched to Fibaro and now I'm moving back to opensource (Home Assistant). Mainly because of Fibaro's slow and unclear software roadmap. They can't keep up with the speed of the home automation industry development. As soon as more users discover open source vendors, Fibaro will most probably be pushed out of the market very soon, unless they adapt their actual business model to new market and industry conditions. For me it's bye bye proprietary software. Nevertheless, I've been a satisfied Fibaro customer until now.

Edited by patrickvh

• 4 weeks later...
    On 12/2/2023 at 3:07 PM, patrickvh said:

Back in 2005 I started with opensource (Homeseer), in 2015 I switched to Fibaro and now I'm moving back to opensource (Home Assistant). Mainly because of Fibaro's slow and unclear software roadmap. They can't keep up with the speed of the home automation industry development. As soon as more users discover open source vendors, Fibaro will most probably be pushed out of the market very soon, unless they adapt their actual business model to new market and industry conditions. For me it's bye bye proprietary software. Nevertheless, I've been a satisfied Fibaro customer until now.

Hello. I'm also migrating to Home Assistant. I always found it difficult to configure Fibaro scenes and devices, as well as being too expensive compared to other brands. I currently have devices for lights and blinds from Fibaro. What brands of accessories do you recommend to add to my Home Assistant system? Can you edit or create Fibaro scenes from Home Assistant? Thank you!

• 3 months later...

expectations from Fibaro may be high, but it's essential to consider industry standards and technological advancements. Assess their progress, customer feedback, and competition to determine if they're lagging behind. Providing constructive feedback can also prompt improvements.