Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Zigbee Smart Button

Charlie.Simon

Question

Hi all, I know that Zigbee is still new to the HC3, however, I've got a couple of devices lying around and have had no issues so far excluding one. 

I've got a fairly popular 

Please login or register to see this link.

that doesn’t work with Fibaro. I can understand that Fibaro sells a button and would probably prefer people use that instead of a third party but as I mentioned already I had this lying around so I figured I'd ask and see if it was possible to integrate. 

I understand it's probably a simple tough luck, no answer but you never know. 

It's currently pulling through temperature but I can't get feedback of any sort. I'd think it'd just work much like a sensor or something similar.

Thanks in advance.

6 answers to this question

To quickly explain, Zigbee does not have a cluster for actions on remotes (like a similar function in Z-Wave protocol managed by Command Class Central Scene or old Comand Class Scene Activation).
Every button has its own implementation, normally based on actions they may trigger on other devices.

So it is impossible to interview the device for "how many buttons do you have" and "which actions can be performed on them" - that is why we are not supporting the remotes. 
If we would like to have them implemented in the system every model must be "hardcoded" inside our engine, this does not make any sense in correlation with the workload needed and the number of different remotes, from different brands and different firmware revisions. 

• Like 1

• Inquirer
  • On 11/13/2023 at 11:49 PM, m.roszak said:

To quickly explain, Zigbee does not have a cluster for actions on remotes (like a similar function in Z-Wave protocol managed by Command Class Central Scene or old Comand Class Scene Activation).
    Every button has its own implementation, normally based on actions they may trigger on other devices.

So it is impossible to interview the device for "how many buttons do you have" and "which actions can be performed on them" - that is why we are not supporting the remotes. 
    If we would like to have them implemented in the system every model must be "hardcoded" inside our engine, this does not make any sense in correlation with the workload needed and the number of different remotes, from different brands and different firmware revisions. 

Wow, amazing thanks for that. That makes a lot of sense... 

This is possibly a silly question, but would there ever be an alternative where users can upload custom profiles to suit the product (if such a thing even exists) or any way for users to try to make third-party products work?

For example, I'm sure if there was a way I could see what message is sent when I press the button I'd be happy to just code a Lua Script to execute an action based on that message so on so forth.

I'm just curious. 

Thanks a lot for the clear response. 

On 11/14/2023 at 9:59 PM, Charlie.Simon said:

Wow, amazing thanks for that. That makes a lot of sense... 

This is possibly a silly question, but would there ever be an alternative where users can upload custom profiles to suit the product (if such a thing even exists) or any way for users to try to make third-party products work?

For example, I'm sure if there was a way I could see what message is sent when I press the button I'd be happy to just code a Lua Script to execute an action based on that message so on so forth.

I'm just curious. 

Thanks a lot for the clear response. 

@m.roszak hi any update on this? Is there a technical issue that doesn't make this work? I fail to understand why you even have a Zigbee function then? We should be able to get button push events.

Edited by gurpal2000

The technical issue is that we will need to hardcode every remote for zigbee and we don't have this in plans for now ;) 

7 hours ago, m.roszak said:

The technical issue is that we will need to hardcode every remote for zigbee and we don't have this in plans for now ;) 

Ok and is that done in hardware or software?

Software part in the hub.