Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

HC2 as Media Centre .... cheap and simple

Guest ericf

Question

Guest ericf

Hi,

why not use this nice HC2 box as a cheap/simple media center. The problem today is that you need at home multiple box, hardware to be able to do some nice thing : manage the automation of your home, watch movies/DVD/DIVX,... on your PC or TV, go to internet + read your mail why not add a feature that a lot of people are looking for : a Media Centre ...

How to implement it ?

- do recreate what is very good, adapt/enhance it ... take for example XMBC :

Please login or register to see this link.

for the OS of the HC2

- rebuild/recompile it to be optimize for the hardware of the box

- use the NIC to share the movies

- use some shared storage ... (humm NFS to access a NAS, access a USB disk connected to the 2 USB connector in the rear of the HC2, ...)

- add some CPU consumption to not overkill the HC2 (resource management on the OS)

- and start a web browser (on you TV, PC, ...) to watch the movie ...

- could also be used to share the music ..

Regards,

Eric

5 answers to this question

I'm with you in a certain way.... however... i don't think that the HC2 Hardware would be capable of being a full blown media center (full hd resolutions or even 3D! ) !

Secondly ... i don't see any evidence of an onboard graphic card (which would be required for h264 kind of playback) or even an hdmi connector somewhere

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_smile.gif" alt=":-)" />.... this "could" be circumvented with an usb graphic card... but i don't know if such an external usb graphic card with enough horsepower for full hd exists !?

I have deployed ZOTAC AD02 mini PC's on ALL TV's in my house. That box runs xbmc, a "home entertainment information webportal" and dvbviewer (connected to a central "tv server"). This way i already have a box which does all required for a TV.

Therefore... i would rather see some kind of client application (for windows, linux) running on pc's (not necessarily connected to a tv) connecting back to the HC2 Home Automation System (and i still think that's the approach for the hc2 hardware anyway) for various tasks like:

- precense detection and sending feedback to HC2

- voice recognition

- home status display

- phonecall display and handling

- weather information

- and so on... basically anything that can can be displayed and managed on a tv (or display) which is related to your "Home".

- that client could also be seen as an "extender" for HC2 to Displays and/or pc's taking use of the hardware on those PC's (webcam, microphone, graphics processing power and so on)

Just my thoughts

/emoticons/default_icon_wink.gif" alt=";-)" />

Cheers

Marcel

something like the "speaker client" in homeseer..... but much better

/emoticons/default_icon_smile.gif" alt=":-)" />

Guest ericf
  • Inquirer
  • agree

but that coudl be also the hardware evolution of the HC2 ... place in the living room --> it has a nice look to be just place near your TV

Look to Apple TV and A5 CPU

Maybe the next HC2 --> HC3 = 2 A5 or A6 (in place of Atom --> consumption is higher) 1 for the domotique part and the other for extra job (Media center ....)

Regards,

Eric

smile... yes... if a new "HC3" woudn't be to expensive compared to a mini pc for the purpose of HDTV viewing and being a "HC2/3 Client".