Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

HOW TO - Two Motion Sensors one Lamp ?

derelict

Question

Ok... i have a configuration "Problem".... Imagine this:

i have one motion detector on floor 2 and another motion detector on floor 3.

In the middle of the two floors, there is a lamp.

Both Motion Detectors are currently associated with that single lamp. (fibaro switch)

Both Motion Detectors TURN OFF the lamp after 5 minutes for instance.

Now imagine... i walk up from floor 1 to floor 2... and the motion detector on floor 2 detects the motion and turns on the lamp. so far so good.... however... now imagine that i rest 4 minutes between floor 2 and 3 (the motion detector on floor 3 has not yet seen my motion). after 4 minutes i walk into the motion detector on floor 3, which in turn would also turn on the lamp. however... the lamp is already on... so nothing changes..... BUT:

the motion detector on floor 2 will TURN OFF the lamp in 1 minute

the motion detector on floor 3 will TURN OFF the lamp in 5 minutes

now imagine... i walk into floor 4 just for one minute... after that minute... the motion detector on floor 2 WILL TURN OFF THE LAMP (and is ready for a "new" motion).... so far so good

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_wink.gif" alt=";-)" />

but now i come back from floor 4 and walk into the motion detector on floor 3 (which still thinks, that the lamp is ON.... and it would TURN OFF the Lamp in about 3-4 minutes..... IT WILL NOT turn on the Lamp... because it still is in "Motion Detected" Mode for about 3-4 minutes... therefore... the lamp stays OFF until i walk into the motion detector on floor 2 (which is ready for motion again... because it was the first detector which turned on the lamp / was triggerd by motion).

I think this is a "regular" situation for "multiple floors light on by motion" or "motion controlled light in a stairway".

How do you guys solve this configuration issue ? can this be done with a special scene ? if so how ? or is there an alternative and easy solution i've missed ?

Thanks for any inputs... and hopefully my example was clear to understand

/emoticons/default_icon_smile.gif" alt=":-)" />

Marcel

8 answers to this question

Guest ericf

Hi,

is there no possibility to know the status of the lamp and add a condition IF then to see if you have to put on/off the lamp?

Eric

• Inquirer
  • yes... the status of the lamp is always clear.... but i would need to know the status of the motion detector.

But you dropped me into the right direction... maybe two scenes like:

"Light on Scene"

if "motion 1" is "breached and armed" or "motion 2" is "breached and armed" then

turn on "lamp 1"

"Light off scene"

if "motion 1" is "safe and armed" and "motion 2" is "safe and armed" then

turn off "lamp 1"

but there is one more problem.... if only motion 1 turned on the light..... and motion 2 never got "activated" ..... the light will not turn off

/emoticons/default_icon_rolleyes.gif" alt=":roll:" />

Marcel

• Inquirer
  • hmm.... i just thought about it.... actually it might work.... i have to see if i can build such a scene....

• Inquirer
  • okay... it does not work... although i think it should.

The Light on Scene is working i guess.... however...the Light Off Scene does NOT work.

i think it has to do with the "internal event processing".... let's say "Motion Gang 1 Stock" was the trigger for the Light On Scene and the other motion detectors are still "armed and safe".

As soon as "Motion Gang 1 Stock" transitions from "breached" to "safe" the whole scene "Light off" should be re-evaluated... and i think this is not happening.

Basically a scene with "or" rules should always be re-evaluated if ANY of the "trigger devices" changes it's state.... and i think this is not happening.

Or is there something wrong with how i've built the scene ?

Thanks for any input.

Marcel

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Inquirer
  • Correction:

Basically a scene with "or" rules should always be re-evaluated if ANY of the "trigger devices" changes it's state.... and i think this is not happening.

should read:

Basically a scene with "AND" rules should always be re-evaluated if ANY of the "trigger devices" changes it's state.... and i think this is not happening.

BTW: Could someone please enable the "edit own posts" forum permission ? or am i overseeing the option somewhere ?

• Inquirer
  • bump.... any update about this ?

I'm on 1.020 now.... and an "AND" based Scene like shown above still DOES NOT work !?

Guest ericf

MAybe a reason, I'm not sure but in development when you use the AND, if the first is already FALSE, the other section in your if will not be tested. So if the First test before the first AND is FALSE, wahthever the result/status of the 2 next text they will not be tested.

Also sometimes in some language for IF , THEN it start by the end

• Inquirer
  • nevermind.... i think i got it working by creating a device group for the motion detectors.

however... as i've added all my EZMotion devices i started to get troubles with other z wave devices (no reporting from them anymore)