Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Monostable switch, where to find

diderik

Question

Hi!

I am redoing the elctrics in my apartment, and I was thinking I'd add some sort of smart house system. The fibraro micromodules seem perfect.

As I understand from other posts, I preferably need monostable or pulse switches, right? Looking around, I am having a hard time understanding what kind of external switches I need, though.

I would preferably like to use one of these switches (some with the fibaro dimmer, some with the on/off module):

Please login or register to see this link.

Alternatively, I could use one of these:

How can I know which ones to buy?

I would be very grateful for some input before ordering lots of switches! Thank you!

10 answers to this question

Dear Sir!

Why do You want to use rottary switches?

The Monostables switches can be found in the everery electric shop/shopping center. Fibaro work fine also with the bi-stable switches, but it's true that in the home inteligent systems the mono-stable switches are more popular.

• Inquirer
  • Thank you very much for your answer!

I do not have to use rotary switches (my second link was to toggle switches:

). However, I would like to use a switch from this particular producer because they fit well with the original details of my old apartment.

My problem is that I do not know what to look for when buying switches. The term 'monostable' is not used by any of the producers I have seen. Insted, terms like 'alternation' or 'crossbar' are used. I am just trying to understand how the switch communicates with the fibaro dimmer module. Why would it matter if I use rotary or toggle switches?

Let's see if I get this right: I need a simple on/off switch. Preferably one with a spring that returns the lever to its original position when released. If there is no such spring, the switch is bistable -- how can I operate a bistable switch to dim the lights?

Thank you!

Guest Kuuno

hi

with so called bistable switch you can only get the lights to go back to previously dimmed level. (they remember it when turned off)

for dimming with switches you need one with a spring! (or use pc, phone, scenes)

Guest kstaniek

Personally I use the switches dedicated to roller shutters - typically two monostable switches with one common wire. If you need only one switch the classic doorbell switch is should be fine.

I always look at the depth of the switch to make sure that it fits to the wall mounting box together with the fibaro module.

• Inquirer
  • Thank you. This is very kind!

Would anyone care to check this link and recommend a switch to be used with the fibaro dimmer module:

Guest kstaniek

Why don't you ask them directly at the shop:

which switches are monostable?

• Inquirer
  • Why don't you ask them directly at the shop:

That is actually a rather good suggestion! Now I feel slightly stupid... I will ask them.

Guest kstaniek

You should feel stupid if you bought the switch without asking the questions on the forum and it didn't work. There are no stupid questions

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_wink.gif" alt=";-)" />. BTW: don't forget to give us any feedback when you get know something. I like these switches - nice design.

• Inquirer
  • Thank you for your help.

This is the reply I got from thpg:

"The only switch which springs back when released is our rocker button. You can find our versions of the rocker button porcelain under this link:

Please note that we have no experience with smart house systems and therefore cannot guarantee that our switches work with such a system. We are at your disposal if you have any questions."

I will go for the rocker button with no symbol in the locations I need a dimmer. For on/off purposes, I will either use these or one of the bistable ones.

Thanks again!

I saw another post elsewhere mentioning

as a suitable monostable switch to use.