Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro Universal Sensor

RSA

Hi,

I have now received the Universal sensor, but I am confused of it's capabilities. I know that we can connect the temperature sensors and get temperature readings. Is it possible to connect to other sensors like gas,water and garage doors? Also, how can we control a garage door? Would love to have some examples.

thanks

Guest Kuuno

hi

as much as i know now you can only connect these temp sensors or use the 2 inputs/outputs to control some devices that use potential free contacts.

basically if you dont use temp sensors then dont use the data pins at all

outputs are triggered by switches connected to input terminals or motion detectors alarm line for example

you can also trigger scenes based on the nimber of clicks 1,2,3 or hold down the button

i will post some samples when finished with installation

• Topic Author
  • thanks, would be nice if we can have examples with generally available sensors on the RS website. One example that will be great will be with this water flow meter

Please login or register to see this link.

Guest Kuuno
    thanks, would be nice if we can have examples with generally available sensors on the RS website. One example that will be great will be with this water flow meter

i dont think thats possible, the only sensor you can use is temp sensor. other functionality is on/off switching only.

• 1 month later...

I've finally got around to getting my Universal sensor out of the box. It's incredibly small. I bought a

and also a

to interface with the module.

My intention is to sense and control my (Hormann) garage door. For this, I'm ignoring the temperature sense connections (TD and TP). As a test measure, I've put the Universal Sensor onto a breadboard and I've been experimenting with it and watching the result on HC2.

As far as I can tell, there is no means to 'control' the state of the outputs (OUT1 and OUT2). The outputs seem to reflect the state of the inputs (IN1 and IN2). The inputs seem to either need pulling down to 0V, or, allowed to float. Whilst the events triggered are generally consistent, there seems to be some randomness where the state jitters occasionally.

For my garage door, I have the ability to sense open or close. However, I'm still without a capability to open/close without resorting to another module.

So, there is no way to control OUT1 and OUT2 from another event? It only "repeat" the IN1 and IN2 state?

quite strange ... it would be really useful!

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_sad.gif" alt=":-(" /> (only with potencial free outputs off course)

So, there is no way to control OUT1 and OUT2 from another event? It only "repeat" the IN1 and IN2 state?

/emoticons/default_icon_sad.gif" alt=":-(" /> (only with potencial free outputs off course)

You're probably making the same assumption as me, but certainly for 1.037, there is nothing in the device panel that exercises any control over OUT1 and OUT2. They just mimic the inputs.

I guess there's a clue in the product title in that it's a 'sensor', a fairly passive thing, and I imagine the thinking is that it converts a non-zwave device into a zwave capable device by still maintaining it's output capability, as per their motion alarm examples.

But yes, somethign with seperately controlled inputs and outputs would be neat. That said, one could use their relay plus this sensor, but that's two devices.

You're probably making the same assumption as me, but certainly for 1.037, there is nothing in the device panel that exercises any control over OUT1 and OUT2. They just mimic the inputs.

I guess there's a clue in the product title in that it's a 'sensor', a fairly passive thing, and I imagine the thinking is that it converts a non-zwave device into a zwave capable device by still maintaining it's output capability, as per their motion alarm examples.

But yes, somethign with seperately controlled inputs and outputs would be neat. That said, one could use their relay plus this sensor, but that's two devices.

May be you could help me with the connection between Universal Sensor and My motion detection device (PIR).

I'm not sure where to plug each of the terminals...

I attach you a picture with my proposal (but I'm not sure at all). On the left you can see the PIR outputs and on the right the Universal Sensor inputs.

I'd really thank your help!

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Hi there. The diagram is really difficult to view due to lack of resolution, however, here's my observations.

Switch (1) and (2) on your detector. They are the wrong way round. (1) should go to GND on the Fibaro, and (2) should go to P(ower) on the Fibaro.

Connector (4) on your detector... I would just hook that up to (1) on your detector.

Connector (3) on your detector.. I would hook that to IN1.

The GND on the Fibaro is primarily for the 1-wire thermostat devices, along with the TD and TP, and, I'm not convinced it has GND on it unless you explicity connect GND. My advice, Don't rely on it.

So, general principle is; connector power to P and GND, then feed GND through your relay to IN1. Is your detector relay NO (normally Open) or NC (normally closed) ?

EDIT: I see it's NC (normally closed), and the Alarm opens the contacts, allowing IN1 to float.

Hi there. The diagram is really difficult to view due to lack of resolution, however, here's my observations.

Switch (1) and (2) on your detector. They are the wrong way round. (1) should go to GND on the Fibaro, and (2) should go to P(ower) on the Fibaro.

Connector (4) on your detector... I would just hook that up to (1) on your detector.

Connector (3) on your detector.. I would hook that to IN1.

The GND on the Fibaro is primarily for the 1-wire thermostat devices, along with the TD and TP, and, I'm not convinced it has GND on it unless you explicity connect GND. My advice, Don't rely on it.

So, general principle is; connector power to P and GND, then feed GND through your relay to IN1. Is your detector relay NO (normally Open) or NC (normally closed) ?

EDIT: I see it's NC (normally closed), and the Alarm opens the contacts, allowing IN1 to float.

Thanks for your fast answer...

My detector relay NC (normally closed). My home Alarm is connected to this PIR using 4 cables. 1 and 2 are for powering the PIR, 3 and 4 are for receive the motion sensor info. The rest of the PIR connectors are not used.

So now I'm trying to plug the Universal sensor into the PIR but without change anything on it, just to plug to feed it with power (1, 2) and take the PIR signal (3, 4).

My doubts come with the destination cable of each of these 4 connectors.

I've try to draw again what I understood you told me. Tell me if it´s correct.

Thanks again

Please login or register to see this attachment.

And it´s not a problem that the in the IN1 (supposed to be passive input), we feed it with a - power signal?

/emoticons/default_icon_question.gif" alt=":?:" />

You'll note that IN1 has only wire, so it must have a reference line. The reference line is the power being applied to the universal sensor. The normal electronics technique in this case is to "pull up" such a pin (eg, IN1) with a resistor up to the +ve voltage (ie, somewhere approaching P). Then, to signal a state change, you ground the pin, changing the voltage (to 0V). It's passive in the sense that it's either floating or grounded, through a relay. You wouldn't apply a voltage through it as the results would be unpredicatable.

On my breadboard at home, I have power (GND/P) applied to the Fibaro. I then have a DIP switch that connects GND to either IN1 or IN2. This effectively triggers the device.

Let me know if you need additional help.

Thanks you so much for your help... I'm not an electronic engineer so this things are quite complex to me.

Are you sure if I can feed the 4 connector with (-) signal? because for the central alarm, it reads 3 and 4 as they are. If I modified the 4 signal with a (-) may be I can some problems ?

Ah, I understand your concern. However, connectors 3 and 4 are relay connections, and thus electricially isolated from all the rest of the circuitry. By connecting (4) which is the C(ommon) line to (1) which is GND (0V), all you are doing is routing the GND to IN1 when triggered. It will not electrically interfere with your PIR.

As an example, you could feed a music feed through (4), if you really wanted

/emoticons/default_icon_wink.gif" alt=";-)" /> The PIR will not care.

hmmm... I think I have a more complicated situation about this connector.

Yesterday I was taking some power measures between 1-4 connectors and I realized that things would not be so easy

/emoticons/default_sad.png" alt=":(" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

In connector 2 (+) there is always +14,3V

In connector 1 (-) there is always 0V

In connector 3 (NC), there is always +14,3V

In connector 4 ©, there is +14,3V if the PIR detects movement, and 0V if there is no movement.

Between 3 and 4 (NC and C), if the PIR detects movement I obtained 0V, and with no movement +14,3V

So....

your turn

/emoticons/default_wink.png" alt=";)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

hmmm... I think I have a more complicated situation about this connector.

Yes! It doesn't sound right. The negative probe should always be on (1) and then measure all the others with the second probe. Also:

In connector 3 (NC), there is always +14.3V

In connector 4 ©, there is +14.3V if the PIR detects movement, and 0V if there is no movement.

If there is no movement, the relay is closed (NC), so connector (3) and (4) will be joined together, so you couldn't have one of them reading one voltage and the other another. Can you let me know the PIR model number so I can look up the technical details.

Apologies for the delay, but the day job gets in the way

/emoticons/default_icon_wink.gif" alt=";-)" /> Just looked up the details for your detector, and found this;

Terminals 1 (–) & 2 (+): Voltage limits are 9 to 15 VDC. Use no smaller than #22 AWG (0.8 mm) wire pair between the detector and the power source.

Terminals 3 & 4: Alarm relay (reed) contacts rated 3 watts, 125 mA, 28 VDC maximum for DC resistive loads and protected by a 4.7 ohm, 0.5 watt resistor.

This almost states that 3 & 4 are electrically isolated from the detector. Could you please do your voltage measurements again, confirming that 1) the negative/black probe is always on connector 1, and 2) nothing else external connected to 3&4.

EDIT: Instructions found