Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Two Way Switching .....

jonny

Question

Is it possible to use the 2 x 1.5Kw module in a 2-way switching scenario?

I was thinking that I could use two modules and use one of them as a virtual device, but I am not sure if this is possible? Is it possible to use them as virtual devices and just setup a rule?

3 answers to this question

• Inquirer
  • Hi Krystian,

I have a double switch in the hall and a double switch in the landing at the top of the stairs. one switch of each controls the ground floor light and one controls the 1st floor. This is known as two way switching here, and is probably installed in all uk homes. the idea being u can turn either light on/off from both the upstairs and downstairs switch.

I'd like to use the 2x1.5kw in each switch box, but they dont appear to support two way switching.

My thoughts..

Two way switching using the scenario of a switch downstairs and one upstairs to control say the landing light requires light switches in both locations that are single pole double throw (SPDT), whereby there is a COM switched between L1 and L2. I don't have a Fibaro Relay Module but looking at the documentation it only appears to have a Single Pole Single Throw (DPST) type relay.

There's also the differences in whether you've got three core (brown, blue, grey. bare) joining the two switches, or Twin and Earth (brown (or red), blue (or black), bare).

I'm trying to think through how one might connect two switches together electrically where you only have SPST by changing the wiring in the switch box only, but I think you'll end up with an electrical irregularity.

My light switch boxes all have power (live, neutral and earth) to them, so I'm fortunate. I've used ZWave Association in a similar scenario, whereby you associate a ZWave switch with another and vice versa. The landing light would then be connected to say the upstairs switch and would switch it on and off as normal, and the hallway 'switch' is now instructing the landing switch what to do. Likewise when you operate the upstairs switch, it tells the hallway switch what state it's in. ZWave Association is ideal because it's completely autonomous of the ZWave controller. Associations are set up in the Device configuration.