Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Soil moisture sensor

RiccardoCanetta

Question

Hi,

has anyone tried to integrate HC2 with a soil moisture sensor? I assume it can be done using the Fibaro universal sensor but I'm curious to know if someone has already tested this, and with which moisture sensor...

Thanks, br,

Riccardo

8 answers to this question

I assume it can be done using the Fibaro universal sensor but I'm curious to know if someone has already tested this, and with which moisture sensor...

Yes you can do it with "Kemo M173 Soil Moisture Humidity Sensor Relay Switch Module" ->

Please login or register to see this link.

and universale sensor.

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_wink.gif" alt=";-)" />

This sensor is great because is 12V (like Universale sensor) and Built in relay switch...

keep us informed

• Inquirer
  • Hi,

thatnks a lot, I studied a bit and it seems not so easy unfortunately... the one you're mentioning as far as I understand doesn't report the moisture level, it just opens or closes a valve when moisture is above/below a threshold that you set manually by rotating a small wheel on the device itself.

On the other hand, I haven't been able to find a sensor that reports soil moisture value and works with the same voltage range as the Fibaro universal sensor - looking on eBay, all arduino-compatible sensors work with 3.3-5V while Fibaro sensor works with 9-30V, which would mean having 2 DC adapters in the box - not very convenient..

Any other hint?

Thanks!

Riccardo

You may use koubachi and request values with API

/emoticons/default_icon_wink.gif" alt=";-)" />, its a wifi plant sensor and I think you can measure moisture level with it.

Guest KubaW

Universal sensor is a binary sensor, so it just 'clicks' (with the exception for the 1-wire temperature sensor input). You won't be able to read any other values than 0 or 1. Therefore it is suitable for sensors with manually adjusted threshold. If you want to measure moisture levels with Fibaro you will have to look for some wifi systems and integrate them using api.

• Inquirer
  • Hi,

ok thanks now it's more clear - back to the M173, then

/emoticons/default_icon_smile.gif" alt=":-)" />

So, can someone please explain how do I connect the 2 outputs of the M173 to the universal sensor? I went through the manual at

but couldn't figure it out...

Thanks a lot,

Riccardo

[ Added: 2013-04-05, 13:55 ]

Hi,

I have been studying a bit more and this is my idea: the sensor has 2 external contacts, one called "operating voltage for magnetic valve or pump" and the other just "magnetic valve or pump". So my guess is to connect

- the first one (operating voltage) to IN1

- the second one to GND together with the "-" contact of the 12V power supply

- the "+" contact of the 12V power supply to P

Does this make sense?

Thanks

Riccardo

Hello,

Has any one come up with a reasonably priced soil moisture sensor with 0-10v output that could be connected to a RGBW module to measure the moisture and water the garden accordingly?

• Like 1

​Here is how i connected KEMO soil moisture sensor + rain sensor + fibaro universal binary sensor.

It's in polish but you can use google translator to have an idea how it was made

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If you have any questions just ask me.

have fun!

On 5/19/2016 at 5:35 PM, smk23us said:

Here is how i connected KEMO soil moisture sensor + rain sensor + fibaro universal binary sensor.

It's in polish but you can use google translator to have an idea how it was made

/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" />

If you have any questions just ask me.

have fun!

That is great! are you able to measure the amount of moisture if yes please explain it how you did it