Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Alarm panel configuration and types of devices supported

budda

Question

I was having a poke about with setting up some alarm config in HC2. Looking at the Alarm Panel there's 3 drop downs per zone.

Are people using this system at all yet ?

I have motion sensors which show up in the 'status' drop down, but nothing is listed in the 'controlling' menu. Surely things like the iOS app, mobile web UI, Android app (is it real yet?), web interface (maybe?) should be listed here by default, and then any fancy z-wave keypads and remote controls are just extras? Is it/should it be possible to have multiple controlling devices per zone anyway?

Next the 'alarming' drop down - currently i have just the motion sensors (same as status menu) listed in this. What things is HC2 looking for to list in here? For sounding a bell box siren outside my house i wanted to hook up a Fibaro relay switch which can override the wired (non zwave) house alarm system if needed to raise an audible signal. Will the HC2 Alarm Panel list things like a Relay module in the 'alarming' menu though?

19 answers to this question

I use it with a DSC PC-1616

CONTROLLING - I have a FIBARO relay switching the alarm as a keyswitch zone

STATUS - I have 1 channel of a Universal Sensor connected to the Status output of the alarm panel (changes state between armed/disarmed) this is managed by a 12v Relay

ALARMING - I have the 2nd channel of the universal sensor connected to the siren output of the alarm panel (also via a 12v Relay)

The Alarm icon changes from grey to green when the alarm arms and green to red when the siren goes off.

Basically I have it connected to a single zone for the whole house so you can retro-fit into existing alarms this way.

I have also used the 2 channel relay to switch 2 individual arming zones (stay/away etc) but depending on the alarm panel you can only sometimes get a single "Status" output for both arming types

Also playing with Satel... Integration works really well for now but no iOS control or ability to arm partitions outside of configuration interface

[ Added: 2013-04-15, 11:11 ]

I have a wiring diagram of my connections on my other computer which I will post when I get to it

• Inquirer
  • Thanks JonnyC. Look forward to your diagram.

Good to know the Universal sensor and Relay module both appear in the Alarm Panel drop downs then.

I'm currently hacking in Z-wave notification to an old ATI 5000 series alarm system until I get around to replacing that with something new.

With this dsc alarm integration, can I use the alarm sensors to trigger scenes?

With the above connections you could only trigger scenes with the devices show,

So if you armed or disarmed the alarm you could run a scene or if the siren activated you could run a scene.

If you wanted additional sensors to run scenes you would need to add a universal sensor for PIR or smoke detectors etc

With the above connections you could only trigger scenes with the devices show,

So if you armed or disarmed the alarm you could run a scene or if the siren activated you could run a scene.

If you wanted additional sensors to run scenes you would need to add a universal sensor for PIR or smoke detectors etc

Thanks and I would need a universal sensor located at each sensor or can I install the universal sensors at the breadboard of the alarm?

It would depend on the alarm. If you connect them at the panel you may need to fire the sensors via another 12v relay. However, you could use both inputs/outputs on the Universal sensor for 2 individual sensors rather than only one if you connect at the sensor

If you connect at the PIR the connections go through the Universal sensor so they don't interrupt the sensor normal operation. At the panel you would be detecting the change in state of the sensor but the required programming could affect the standard operation of the alarm.

[ Added: 2013-04-16, 10:41 ]

Attached

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Thanks for the detailed response. One final question, what do you mean by firing the sensors via 12v relay? Does that mean the universal sensors will require a power source to operate at the panel but not at the PIR?

It depends on how the panel reacts to the PIR detector or smoke alarm.

It generally can be done and has been done on our DSC product and also some Paradox installations. We largely use the PIR location as the support for the DS18B20 temperature sensor gives us multiple locations for temperature readings

It depends on how the panel reacts to the PIR detector or smoke alarm.

It generally can be done and has been done on our DSC product and also some Paradox installations. We largely use the PIR location as the support for the DS18B20 temperature sensor gives us multiple locations for temperature readings

Do you have a list of exact models that you know it will work with for DSC (PC1616?) and what model PIR for inside and breadboard installation?

Thanks

No, but the PC 1616, 1832 and 1864 are all the same at the board and you would struggle to find a PIR that doesn't operate in a standard format.

All the PIR detectors I have ever seen follow a fairly standard function

No, but the PC 1616, 1832 and 1864 are all the same at the board and you would struggle to find a PIR that doesn't operate in a standard format.

All the PIR detectors I have ever seen follow a fairly standard function

Cool thanks, no restriction on wired or wireless PIRs either right? What is the model of the PIR that you shared the picture of?

I can't comment on the wireless PIRs as I haven't used them. I would expect that the feedback from them is transmitted through an expander which may not necessarily have the required connections for the universal sensor.

I think that the Satel Integra may be better solution for you?

Full integration via the Ethernet module so all PIR/smoke sensors feedback is automatic and you can assign and switch outputs.

Oh I didn't know about the satel integrate. That properly integrates with the fibaro and the alarm panel?

Since you are from NZ too, are they easily sourced in Aus and NZ region?

Yes the integration is really good.

Please login or register to see this link.

The NZ/Aus distributor for Satel is working with all FIBARO resellers in Australia.. But as this is a new feature they are only just now picking it up as a product. Send me a PM about sourcing this locally.. We will leave the forum for more general/global aspects of the integration etc

Does anybody know how to integrate PARADOX alarm systems? Something like you guys did with the DSC systems?

I have no experience with this system, if there is possibility to communicate over RS-232 or TCP and API is available you can develop a solution.

Can some one tell me more about the setup of the relay and the universal binary sensor? Is the relay set to 1 seccond impulse or in order to arm/disarm it has to stay on (for arming) and off (for disarm)? And what about the Universal sensor, its inputs has to be NO or NC?