Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Plex with Synology

Guest ygh

Question

Guest ygh

Hi,

Just purchased a synology DS412+ box and Plex server is running perfectly.

I am looking for a smart integration with the HC2 similar to those of you who have tried XBMC.

I saw some related posts in the forum but they are quiet old and do not take into account the latest HC2 firmware version and LUA capabilities.

Any advise will be highly appreciated !

YG

I am not goignt to help you ecause I don't know plex. But what is better than xbmc ???

Guest ygh
  • Inquirer
  • Hi,

I guess XBMC is as good as Plex. It is a question of taste, I prefer the Plex interface and more specifically it runs on my Synology and the streaming across the house is made very easy !

Hi,

I guess XBMC is as good as Plex. It is a question of taste, I prefer the Plex interface and more specifically it runs on my Synology and the streaming across the house is made very easy !

The only integration I have been able to do with Plex is to be able to send notifications to the clients. Is that what you are after?

For me xbmc is better, you can do mysql to synchronize every xbmc in you house and use samba to share files.

For interface you have many skin.

After we can check with plex how is working addon, but can work like xbmc because plex is a fork from xbmc.

XBMC is *... Plex has way better integration and options like remote play to android, googletv, samsung tv, ios, roku and more plus watched/unwatched and playlist sharing for shared users.

Prefer not answer. He don't understand what is plex and xbmc, and he don't know what xbmc can do.

But at this moment, what do you can do with plex and fibaro???

Nothing, great plex.

And for information, all system have + and -.

The Plex media server HTTP API is documented at

Please login or register to see this link.

You can find out the name / IP address of each client on your home network from

and then construct HTTP calls such as:

So all the playback controller commands could be mapped to a HC2 Virtual Device.

I've used xbmc since the early days and only recently made the switch to plex. The biggest and defining advantage to me being plex sync. Easy configuration (saves me A LOT of time) and family friendly navigation/use being a second important factor.

The time I save on not configuring alone is worth the switch for me. That being said, xbmc has unlimited possibilities for modification. Plex is very limited in this department. The debate of what system is better is moot, just go for what fits your needs best.

Technically you can control navigation for plex in exactly the same way as for xbmc. As an example I use a scene to pause the playing video and turn the lights on and vice versa (as I use the fibaro app and/or irule to navigate this is very easy) .

As plex cannot run scripts you would have to poll the server/client but using polling you could definitely turn lights off when the movie starts and turn them back on afterwards. Just use main loop to poll. This would of course only work if it's possible to get "currently playing" or similar info but as this is available via plex/web it should be available via http/json api as well. Documentation might be a bit behind at the moment but I haven't gotten in to it as this feature isn't something I normally would not use anyway.

[ Added: 2014-03-30, 20:41 ]

Today I've done some research and plex "integration" works the same way xbmc does. JSONRPC control is totally possible.

Here's an example to get you started:

Please login or register to see this code.

Then use the ip to control plex via jsonrpc (just like xbmc).

Please login or register to see this code.

[ Added: 2014-04-07, 23:02 ]

Shad, that is not at all true as plex is very similar to xbmc under the hood when it comes to PHT clients. I just modified a simple XBMC callback plugin to run on my Openelec+PlexHomeTheater machine and it works perfectly fine.

Callbacks include:

plex_starts

player_starts = ''

player_stops = ''

player_pauses = ''

player_resumes = ''

screensaver_starts = ''

screensaver_stops = ''

With this as a start an openelec plex add-on is very easy to complete.

All I have at this point is a simple POC, most of which is posted above (the HC2 part). I'm just doing this to show you guys that plex works just fine with catching actions just like xbmc as some people on these forums have claimed that plex i useless as it can't run addons or be "integrated". That simply isn't true.

I have no intention of developing a "proper" plex add-on and hc2 virtual device combination for release. I simply don't have the time.

However, I'd be happy to help you if you want do perform a specific task. What are you trying to accomplish? Note that my plex client running the addon is a openelec+plex build:

The add-on I'm using consists of python scripts but PHT on e.g. OSX does not allow for python scripts to be run (yet?). I think that PHT OSX can achieve the same functionality using applescript but I haven't tested this. I don't run any other OS so I can't help you with e.g. PHT on Windows unless python scripts does work. Otherwise the add-on setup is very simple.

Guest labomatik
  • Inquirer
  • Please login or register to see this link.

this is a virtual device that display if a movie is currently in view.

Support External variable....

Can you please post that virtual device somewhere else? I dont speak french and i tried making a login on that website but i cannot seem to download

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_sad.png" alt=":(" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

You have to introduce yourself first in that forum before you can download anything. It is a very good forum, especially if you parle un peu de français.

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_tongue.png" alt=":P" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Guest labomatik
  • Inquirer
  • here it is

modify these lines

PlexHC2.Plex_ip = '192.168.1.9' -- IP plex server

PlexHC2.Plex_port = 32400 --

PlexHC2.globalvariable = ""

labomatik,

Thanks! But when I import the device and change the paramaters, I get this error:

[DEBUG] 09:13:27: Problème d'accès au données ... tentative dans 10mn

Cannot make data connection? I have put the right IP port. Do I need something in the globalvariable?

Thanks for the sharing!