Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

GPS problem with iPhone and iOS7

lundan

Question

Hello!

I've got a problem with GPS (geolocalisation) with my iPhone 5 using iOS7. The problem is that it's not tracking unless the Fibaro-app is open and active. I don't know if the problem is iOS7, but I suspect that it is because of the state handling of apps in iOS7.

Is anybody else experiencing this phenomenon?

I could'nt find anything similar on the forum nor the bugtracking-system.

I think this is a problem and is suppose to work even if the app is not in the foreground (active), seems kind of a pointless feature if that's the case.

To clarify:

I get no position updates in Home Center 2 unless the Fibaro-app is open and active on my phone. If the phone goes into sleep or if I use another app it still reports a few minutes but then stops.

I'm running v. 3.571 atm, same on 3.570.

Is this a known problem? Anyone who has this working?

9 answers to this question

lundan, next version 1.2 will change that gps will work in background

Guest Eric

@A.Socha:

What do you mean with Version 1.2.?

Latest available Version is 2.0.1. I assume....but the issue is still existent..?!

I have the same problem with my iPhone 5 with iOS7 also with Samsung too, GPS not always working, and need it to be for my GPS scenes to work for activating alarms

I confirm that GPS option is not really optimal, the backgroup app doesn't update the data even I asked it to update on a backgroup basis

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_sad.png" alt=":(" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have been using GPS localization on an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 5 over the past two weeks. On both phones I have noticed a severe batery drain. With GPS off I can use my iPhone 5 for about 2 days. With GPS on I can use my iPhone for roughly 10 hours until it is completely dead. Scheduling seems to stretch the battery life an hour or two. The scheduling does a better job on my partner's iPhone 4. Observing my iPhone's top bar, I often see the GPS icon. What I believe is happening is that GPS is triggered every 60 minutes to poll the current location. However, when GPS is unable to get a fix (e.g. because I am indoors) it will keep GPS on until it does.

Since GPS support is flaky, I am working on an alternative solution using GSM presence detection.

I've noticed the excessive battery drain on iOS7 when using GPS localisation too, using an iPhone 5. The battery get's rather hot and it's completely flat within 6 hours.

Since the iPhone shuts down wifi in lockscreen mode, this doesn't seem like an option either... Anxious to see your solution for GSM presence detection.