Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Starting Heating according to external temperature.

kiwi

Question

Hi !

I would like to optimize a bit the heating of my house.

In the night or when I am not here, I reduce heating from 20°C to 18°C (and example) to avoid consuming to much energy.

But for now starting "warm" temperature will not take the same amount of time when we have +5°C outside or -10°C, mostly on the morning.

What should be the best way to do it ?

A scene starting at 5am in the morning and doing :

if (external temp < -10°C)

then

startconfort();

else

wait for 30min();

if (external temp < -5°C)

then

startconfort();

else

wait for 30min();

if ( ...

fi

fi

fi

Maybe there is some mathematical way to do it better.

Any clues?

Regards,

Xavier

2 answers to this question

If you're looking to build in some anticipation into the rule in regard to the time it would take to warm up, wouldn't it be better to base it on the internal temperature?

It could be very well that you haven't been home for the weekend, with temperatures outside of 5 degrees. Let's say in the house it's 14 degrees. In that situation the heater may start 30mins earlier if you base it on outside temperature.

Now let's assume you have been home the other night and the temperature outside is -10 degrees. Inside it may be 16 degrees. Now all of a sudden your heater will start for instance 1,5 hours earlier.

You could test how long it takes for your heating system to heat the house 1 degree. Then you'll know how to setup your anticipating scheduler.

If you want to do something with the outside conditions, you might increase the setpoint a bit if it's very cold outside or if there is a very strong wind.

• Inquirer
  • If you're looking to build in some anticipation into the rule in regard to the time it would take to warm up, wouldn't it be better to base it on the internal temperature?

There is already a SRT321 in the house. So it will do it itself.

You could test how long it takes for your heating system to heat the house 1 degree. Then you'll know how to setup your anticipating scheduler.

If you want to do something with the outside conditions, you might increase the setpoint a bit if it's very cold outside or if there is a very strong wind.

This is what I'd like to do. For example, the biggest difference of temperature I have between in house and outside, the longer I have to setpoint until have the right temperature...

For example, the night the setpoint is 17,5°C, at 8am I'd like to have around 19°C. So I have 2,5°C difference (not much).

Since the house can have some inside / outside bridges (issues with isolation), I have to calculate the time I will start to the heating and make several setpoint before getting it nominal. To avoid too mutch usage of heating sources.

Examples I have (in a really small room with a heater that have too much inerty) :

Please login or register to see this attachment.