Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Ovens and kettles

rjh5000

Question

Hi,

I am new to the Fibaro system. I am in the States and not all the products are here yet, so I may have to wait for some parts that I need.

I am working on a renovation where part of the project is it automate as much as possible. I'm excited about working with the Fibaro HC2 after the last 2 weeks of playing with it. It has a great interface and loving the customization.

I watched the Fibaro video on youtube when the car is driving home and the home gets ready. In this sequence it shows the oven warming up. I really want to recreate this.

It says a 3kw sensor is needed and something else, I can't quite make it out. If someone can help with this that would be much appreciated. Also if anyone then knows more about actually setting this up that would be great.

As for the kettle I don't know if this is possible given they normally have an on off switch and default to off. So even with a smart plug I'm assuming the kettle would not boil.

If anyone knows how to make either of these possible that would be great.

Thanks

15 answers to this question

You could rig something but most ovens are more than 3 kw.

Not sure of the value it is a bit like

Please login or register to see this link.

It says a 3kw sensor is needed and something else, I can't quite make it out. If someone can help with this that would be much appreciated. Also if anyone then knows more about actually setting this up that would be great.

As for the kettle I don't know if this is possible given they normally have an on off switch and default to off. So even with a smart plug I'm assuming the kettle would not boil.

If anyone knows how to make either of these possible that would be great.

Thanks

First of all: I personally would NOT let a HC2 or similar turn on anything like a kettle, stove, sauna, etc.

Second of all: You are (in all states I know of) not allowed to do these modifications yourself, you need a licensed electrical installer.

That said:

For the stove, you need to install a contactor between the stove and the mains, a 3kW module simply WILL NOT be up to the task as the stove is more then 3kW and usually a Three phase design. Something like this

(as long as it is legal in your state). Then you simply get a 3kW or one channel of a 2x1,5kW Fibaro switch to activate the contactor. If your installation is modern enough to have a modular rail-based electrical central, you can get a rail mounted contactor, and install Everything there, as the stove is usually on a dedicated Three phase line.

For the kettle, one could simply hook a 3kW in parallell to the switch. BUT do make VERY VERY VERY sure that the kettle still can turn off when boiling (mine would NOT be able to turn off if i bypassed the switch.)

or

is on the way

but I still don't see the advantage for some things.

My kettle boils two cups in the time it takes to get the cups and tea. It would also get boiled when it was dry as my wife always forgets to fill it. It has a safety cut out but still a bit of a risk if only to the life of the kettle.

Some soldering and modification is definitely required. And then this begs the question about the safety of the install. It is some very powerhungry consumers you choose to automate, so the install must be 100% okay to avoid poor connections, shorts and arcing.

Anyway, I'm with robmac on this... I don't really see the purpose of automation for the sake of automation. I install it where it makes my life easier. If the operation of a certain component requires manual handling anyway, then it doesn't make sense IMHO. If you need to find an iPad or similar each time you want a cup of tea or turn on a light, it will just create frustration with all other users than us nerdy types who find this stuff hugely fascinating. And frustration leads to neglect, ao it will just be avoided and you'll have to buy a separate kettle for the missus anyway because she can't get it to function in a simple and intuitive way (there was an example of a coffee maker on here where you needed to push three buttons on an iPad to produce a single cup of coffee... That just defeats the purpose then!)

• Inquirer
  • Thanks for the replies.

Don't worry safety is my number one concern. I am purely researching options at the moment. I'm not going to put my kids at risk for the sake of a cup of tea. I'm purely looking into things. I saw the iKettle online and wondered if there was a z-wave option. Also I am a electrician and I'm working with a team on my own house at the moment. I won't be running any wires where they shouldn't be or overload anything.

We have already built own own zwave solenoid valves to shut off the water and gas. So safety is number one for me.

As for the oven. Fibaro shows this in their own video:

About 40 secs in. This is where I got the 3k sensor from, I was trying to make out the font, but its white on white so hard to read.

I personally don't feel being able to warm the oven up is going over the top, I think this would be very helpful.

I'll check out those links and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the help. If you have any more on this that would be great.

First of all: I personally would NOT let a HC2 or similar turn on anything like a kettle, stove, sauna, etc.

Hmmm, I didn't think about it before. But that is a good hint actually. I experience sometimes the problem with Fibaro 1x3kW switch. It becames a dead node sometimes and then I cannot change its state.

Hi everyone,

I saw the iKettle online and wondered if there was a z-wave option.

You can integrate the iKettle with the Home Center 2 (and the Home Center Lite to some degree - no feedback).

Have a look on the Fibaro UK website in the tutorials section

and click on the tutorial about integrating the iKettle and Sonos.

There is a link to the virtual device in the article.

Regarding ovens. I don't know of any z-wave ovens. I also think killing the power to the entire oven will cause issues if it is a moden oven. The clock for example would stop and then blink.

*start crazy idea flow*

If it is an oven which can be taken apart (and you have the knowledge to do so), you could look at using a relay to simulate the presses of the control switches or knobs. Some ovens have push switches to select the mode - turning on and off the relay a number of times could select the mode... If it is an oven with a dial to select the mode then it's probably much easier - just a case of joining the correct pins on the back of the knob. Interfacing with a really modern oven with electronic controls could be a challenge. There is no harm in ringing up the manufacturer, asking for tech support and explaining that you want to control the oven and asking if there is an interface. The chances are they will say there isn't - but you might be lucky. Once you have control of the oven, it would be a simple task to add a temperature sensor of some kind (not the DS18B20 as it has an operational range of -55°C to +125°C. You would need to use a 0-10v sensor and an RGBW module.) and then you could turn it off if things went wrong. Might be a good idea to have temperature sensors outside the oven as well!

*end crazy idea flow*

I experience sometimes the problem with Fibaro 1x3kW switch. It becames a dead node sometimes and then I cannot change its state.

Search the forum regarding waking up dead nodes - or at least checking to see if they are really dead and alerting you if they are and waking them if they aren't.

Hope this helps.

Adam Bewsher

Hi Adam, can you tell me if the iKettle can be powered with 220V (french) ?

All the best.

Jean-Christophe

Edit: there was the answer on the site: "For use outside of the UK, the iKettle will require a transformer to bring the voltage to 220-240V (not included)"

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_mrgreen.gif" alt=":mrgreen:" />

Hi Adam, can you tell me if the iKettle can be powered with 220V (french) ?

All the best.

Jean-Christophe

Edit: there was the answer on the site: "For use outside of the UK, the iKettle will require a transformer to bring the voltage to 220-240V (not included)"

/emoticons/default_icon_mrgreen.gif" alt=":mrgreen:" />

Hi Krikroff,

The British grid is the exact same specs as the rest of Europe; 230 V, 50 Hz. So the only adapter needed is a plug adapter if bought in the UK. I have one with a schuko standard plug on it and no transformer.

Hi Jean-Christophe,

Yes, as Dalle1985 said, due to the EU standardisation the UK devices will work there too.

You just need to change the plug or use an adapter.

Adam

Miele Ovens have

module available, my understanding is that they cost over 1k as an option however

/emoticons/default_sad.png" alt=":(" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

also data over power and something like a wireless controller .. not in Australia though .. and minimal details available yet ..

I'm looking for a new kitchen and we have selected Miele equipment.

Miele offers now Miele@home and that's based on Zigbee.

Does anyone has experience here and/or does Fibaro has any plans to integrate Miele?

Miele is one of the most respected kitchen suppliers in Europe.....

@alandee. A Miele oven with the Miele@home feature costs € 3500 overhere. The Siemens oven with Home-Connect costs € 2000.... That's a big price difference!

Hi Guys,

Any update on the oven control with HC2?

i use Aoen Labs Heavy Duty z-wave switch. This works great with HC2 4.033 however the power metering does not work. Used to work with HC2 3.600