Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Blown my first 500W Relay

rajp

Question

Need guidance on how I should have wired my 500W relay. I have my house's front lights switched on and off using a Wise Wireless relay switch. This has worked for approx 5 years without any issues. However, as I wanted to set everything up in HC.. I decided to replace the relay with a Fibaro 500W relay as the circuit is a 2 wire type.

I did the following.

Switch the power off from the fuseboard.

The Brown from Switch connected to the L on the relay.

The Blue into N.

I put a small cable that goes into N and O.

I connected the Brown to the lamp into SX port

Connected Blue into S1

Once all this was done, I switched the power back on for this circuit. As soon as I switched on the light, I heard the fuse trip. Stupidly, I tried to switch the circuit back on and heard a bang near the relay. I assume that was my expensive firework.

Have I got my wires in a tangle?? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I have refrained myself from trying something different and have got a electrician coming in on Friday to see what happened.

Thx Raj

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

4 answers to this question

Hello,

Please check wiring diagram from the manual instruction again.

You've connected it completely contrariwise.

Sx and S1 should be connected to the switch.

Brown should be connected to L

Blue should be connected to O.

You should not connect any wire to N beyond short connection between N and O.

This is in general - if you are not sure about connection please contact qualified electrician installer.

Please check this video:

• Inquirer
  • Hello,

Please check wiring diagram from the manual instruction again.

You've connected it completely contrariwise.

Sx and S1 should be connected to the switch.

Brown should be connected to L

Blue should be connected to O.

You should not connect any wire to N beyond short connection between N and O.

This is in general - if you are not sure about connection please contact qualified electrician installer.

Please check this video:

Thanks Krystian.. I thought I had setup that way.. my issue is.. the way the circuit is setup, the 2 wire cable comes out of the Fusebox and goes into the switch. Then another 2 wire cable comes out of switch and goes into the relay. Another cable goes from the relay to the lamp. The way I wired this was.. the Brown cable from the Switch to the L. Blue to the O. I also put a short between O and N. Then I connected the brown wire that goes to the lamp to Sx and the Blue to S1. Hope this makes sense..

[ Added: 2014-04-23, 22:28 ]

Just looking at that video.. it show that I should connect the Live to L and Load(Neutral) to O and then the Sx to have the live to Lamp and the return load to S1. Is that correct? Also, as the lamps are 2 Low Energy lamps, could this have caused the relay to destruct? Do I need to put a bypass load in to ensure this is correct?

Wow... Good thing it didn't catch fire!

The lamp should be connected to your Neutral wire on one end and the dimmer on the other end through both N and O, the (L)ive wire should be connected to the fibaro dimmer. This completes the circuit. You then connect your wall switch to Sx (the common switch terminal and the S1.

What you did was to short the live and neutral through the relay with absolutely no load, so you'll have absolutely massive currents running through the relay part of the switch. If the internal resistance of the relay totals 5 ohm (and i guess it will be even less) and the supply is 230V AC, the pure resistive load will deposit energy corresponding to:

I=U/R=230/5=46 amp

P=U*I=230*46=10580W

Now that is 10,6 kW power or 176 lit 60W bulbs. That is enough power to turn your wire insulation into charcoal. Probably not in 1 or 2 seconds, but it isn't good for them.

On the positive side, your circuit breaker did exactly what it's supposed to! If your breaker pops out and it hasn't played tricks on you before, it's probably best to believe in it and check your installation instead.

The morale of the story? If your not absolutely sure, consult a professional electrician for installation, even what looks like a successful installation might pose a fire hazard as a poor termination can cause quite a bit of heat and pose a serious fire hazard. And in the end, your life might depend on the quality of the installation.

• Inquirer
  • Wow... Good thing it didn't catch fire!

The lamp should be connected to your Neutral wire on one end and the dimmer on the other end through both N and O, the (L)ive wire should be connected to the fibaro dimmer. This completes the circuit. You then connect your wall switch to Sx (the common switch terminal and the S1.

What you did was to short the live and neutral through the relay with absolutely no load, so you'll have absolutely massive currents running through the relay part of the switch. If the internal resistance of the relay totals 5 ohm (and i guess it will be even less) and the supply is 230V AC, the pure resistive load will deposit energy corresponding to:

I=U/R=230/5=46 amp

P=U*I=230*46=10580W

Now that is 10,6 kW power or 176 lit 60W bulbs. That is enough power to turn your wire insulation into charcoal. Probably not in 1 or 2 seconds, but it isn't good for them.

On the positive side, your circuit breaker did exactly what it's supposed to! If your breaker pops out and it hasn't played tricks on you before, it's probably best to believe in it and check your installation instead.

The morale of the story? If your not absolutely sure, consult a professional electrician for installation, even what looks like a successful installation might pose a fire hazard as a poor termination can cause quite a bit of heat and pose a serious fire hazard. And in the end, your life might depend on the quality of the installation.

Yep.. looks like it.. have the electrician coming in to look and fit a few relays on the weekend...