Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

TemperatureSensors

palomaray

Question

Hi All,

I have 3 temperature sensors fitted on my HC2, which are:

1 - Fibaro multi-sensor

2 - Fibaro door sensor with DS18B20 thermometer

3 - Aeon multi-sensor

The readings I get from these vary considerably, to the point that I really don't know which is the best reflection of the actual temperature. Whilst I accept there will be differences relevant to their fitted location, they are all effectively in one big room, albeit some distance apart.

Does anyone have any experience on which is probably the most limey to be a true reflection of reality as when I say the temperatures vary considerably, I mean this morning showing 8.5 dg difference, which I wouldn't have expected to see across one room.

Thanks in advance for your opinion/experience.

Ray

4 answers to this question

That is impossible without knowing more about you setup but with different exposion to light and difference in position I can myself see differences of more than 30 degrees Celsius which I find perfectly reasonable. It all depends..

• Inquirer
  • Ok thanks, perhaps I am a little optimistic to see similar temperatures although they are all in similar sorts of locations (no direct light, high up in room etc.) although the door one obviously is more prone to changes.

I think it may be safe to take an average of the Fibaro one and the Aeon one to get somewhere near to reality.

Thanks for your reply.

Ray

Guest Lode

I'm using fibaro universal sensor with the DS18B20.

I must say it's very accurate.

I've done a test with an instrument i use at my work wich is 100% accurate.

The difference was about 0.2 degrees wich is negigible for residential use.

The DS18B20 is very accurate indeed, but I'm guessing the other equipment are using similar transducers.

There can be quite a temperature difference even within the same room. Just beneath the ceiling, it can easily be 4 degrees more than at floor level. Also, if you have electronics in one part of the room, this might be hotter, or it might be colder close to windows or doors. The way it's been done in the professional HVAC systems i've seen with multiple transmitters, but only one heating/cooling source if by averaging the temperatures, or select one based on multiple readings and then selecting the one which fits the best.

I have requested offsets for temperature transmitters but Fibaro only provide it for their own sensors. So I'm doing my own for the external scripts I'm running for heating purposes.