Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Block scene logic?

Colin_d

Question

To my mind the following block scene would mean

'At 12.30 on Sunday, if the heating is on, turn it off'

But...

any time I switch the heating on (on a Sunday) by R/C or via HC2 admin panel it switches off again immediately. Other scenes can't turn it on either. Unchecking the 'Start when HC2 starts' box makes no difference.

I quite happily use LUA for most of my scenes but sometimes I can't use blocks for simple timing jobs because they don't seem to behave as I'd expect. I also notice any delays you specify are from the start of the scene and are not cumulative - fine once you know but causes some head scratching at first

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Is it me, have I missed something, am I being dense? (Not completely unkown!)

/emoticons/default_icon_mrgreen.gif" alt=":mrgreen:" />

Please login or register to see this attachment.

5 answers to this question

I agree it is not always obvious how the scene editor works.

Any timer block is a trigger but not a condition. So in your case the only condition in this scene is the central heating = ON.

When you turn it on it also acts as a trigger and thus the condition evaluates to true.

To solve your problem uncheck central heater as a trigger. That way only the timer or manual run can execute the scene to completion. The central heater condition is still checked only cannot start the scene.

Hope that helps.

• Inquirer
  • Doh.

Obvious now you've pointed it out

/emoticons/default_icon_rolleyes.gif" alt=":roll:" />

Didn't pay much attention to the tick boxes!

Not exactly intuitive though...

Thanks for that

It is this sentence in the scene editor that is poorly worded:

"Triggers are devices and variables that change starts the scene and part of the conditional check."

It should probably read:

Triggers are devices and variables that, upon change, start the scene and all conditional checks. Timers are only triggers and never part of the conditional check.

As a side note on language - don't use danish even if you speak it. Here's the danish version of the above Fibaro sentence after it has been though google translate into english:

"Ejaculations are units and variables that change the start of the scenes and is part of a conditional control."

Sounds like some x-rated scenes in danish!

/emoticons/default_icon_biggrin.gif" alt=":-D" />

Google translate should be banned when used for multilingual apps. The english version is verbatum when you send the polish sentence through it.

• Inquirer
  • It's the 'AND' that made me think both parts would be evaluated for the condition.

Anyway I'll know for next time! Thanks again.

Great translation there

/emoticons/default_laugh.png" alt=":lol:" />

Some are hilarious, they need a double take sometimes but you can usually see how it might've made sense to a computer!

I agree it is not always obvious how the scene editor works.

Any timer block is a trigger but not a condition. So in your case the only condition in this scene is the central heating = ON.

When you turn it on it also acts as a trigger and thus the condition evaluates to true.

To solve your problem uncheck central heater as a trigger. That way only the timer or manual run can execute the scene to completion. The central heater condition is still checked only cannot start the scene.

Hope that helps.

Doesn't this mean that you can never have a timer block AND a condition in a scene and that you need to define a variable that changes with thime and use that ins stead of the timer block if you want to switch something off or on at a certain time but only if some conditions are fulfilled ?

Like "Swith the living room light ON at 9:45 BUT ONLY if ther is ome movement in the living room" ?