Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Battling your "dead nodes"

Dalle1985

Question

Hi guys,

Living in an old house with thick walls and probably a few layers of lead paint, I have been battling an issue with nodes going dead once in a while. When the nodes go dead, they mess up my scenes.

I've also read a fair few posts from people battling dead nodes on here.

Since Fibaro seem to think that it is a wonderful idea to mark a node as dead and then do nothing about it, I decided to do something about it myself. So I have created a scene which periodically checks for dead nodes (I've set it up to every six minutes) and if it finds any, it will wake the device up, request that the routing table be updated for every device and send a push to the owner telling that it has found a dead device.

The push message might be a nuissance more than a help, but I use it to monitor how often devices go dead to make sure that i don't have devices that won't wake up - i.e. if it has run out of battery or isn't working properly. It can be disabled by changing the variable disable_push to 1.

Anyway, I thought I'd share the scene so it can help some of you who are suffering from dead devices.

Please login or register to see this code.

*** EDIT ***

Added a sleep command to ensure that the issue described below with the system becomming unresponsive doesn't happen.

15 answers to this question

Thanks Dalle1985 - that´s exactly what I was looking for!

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_biggrin.gif" alt=":-D" />

(I don´t need the push notification but I want to sure that all my devices work fine.)

But I have a question about your script: Doesn´t it drain the battery of your devices too fast if the whole network will be refreshed after finding a dead node?

• Inquirer
  • Well... It finds approx. One pr day. I have been running this script for over a month now and have not experienced any dead nodes in my system. I haven't observed greater power consumption. After all, the device only reconfigures once it wakes up and I don't believe the routing update takes a lot of power.

Cheers Dalle1985.

Added to my system too with no notification and already cleared 2 dead nodes that I was going to manually revive.

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_mrgreen.gif" alt=":mrgreen:" />

Just a heads up: I added this scene and my whole system stopped working. Not sure if this was it but it was the only change I made recently. I restored a backup and now all seems fine again.

Just a heads up: I added this scene and my whole system stopped working. Not sure if this was it but it was the only change I made recently. I restored a backup and now all seems fine again.

Was just about to post the same thing.

System became unresponsive. A power down and up only sorted it out for a short time. Second time it happened I used the restart function and it didn't sort it. Ended up doing a restore to a previous backup, which did sort it out.

• Inquirer
  • Yeah... If it tries to due a network update twice within 21 minutes, the system might become unresponsive. i haven't seen the issue myself, but I've adjusted the code to include a 21 min sleep after firing off the request node update command to avoid this.

I got 4 modules which turn dead quite frequently, all modules are fibaro (1x FGS211, 1x FGS221, 2x FGD211) and share the same version 1.4, turning off power and enable power restores modules.

Other modules with higher version ie 2.2 seems to be more stable. .. ..

Why do nodes go dead once they have successfully been added to the z-wave network? Something I still don't understand? And why does not HCL try to wake up dead nodes on its own??

FIBARO = DEAD NODES! FACT! LIVE WITH IT I HAVE TO!

[ Added: 2014-07-05, 13:34 ]

I tried a rasp pi with a £40 zwave card add!

NO DEAD NODES!

INSTANT RESPONSE!

YES IT IS NOT AS PRETTY!

BUT GUESS WHAT FIBARO! IT WORKS (PERFECTLY)

£70 OUTLAY VS £500 OUTLAY!

I'll be staying on the forum for support for the fibaro devices but i am selling both my hc2 as they are unreliable! always have been! always will be!

Yeah... If it tries to due a network update twice within 21 minutes, the system might become unresponsive. i haven't seen the issue myself, but I've adjusted the code to include a 21 min sleep after firing off the request node update command to avoid this.

You sir are a genius! Thank you very much for your script that worked in a matter of seconds and revived my entire network. Fibaro needs add this script to their firmware.

Also this post needs to be a sticky.

I tried this script and it seem to work very good. (Thank you). But I have a question. How many maximum running instances should I set on the script?

The topic has been moved from "

Please login or register to see this link.

" to "

".

Temat został przeniesiony z "

" do "

".