Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Step-by-step guide for a factory reset?

DAWO

Question

Tried to update my Fibaro HC2 but something must have gone wrong as I cannot get in contact with it any more. And Fibaro Finder cannot find it either. I have tried to reset the device, but still I cannot find it. This might be owing to the fact that my internal IP-address range is from 192.168.10.01??? And it might be the case that the HC2 resets to another IP-adress range??? If so, I would be really grateful if someone could walk me through the necessary steps in order to get it back! Or point me to a manual where this is thouroughly explained. Thanks!

[ Added: 2014-07-30, 00:06 ]

I have tried to disconnect the power plug and before plugging it back in, I have held down the recovery button. This makes all blue LED starts flashing, and then one by one they get a static blue light. When all lights are static, I have released the recovery button. Fibaro Finder still cannot find the device, and I cannot connect through web browser with local ethernet cable and ip address set to 192.168.81.1 in the web browser and static ip address set on PC to 192.168.81.5

What am I doing wrong?

you need to connect the hc2 and youre pc to a router, because hc2 after a reset uses dhcp

use fibaro finder and you should find the hc2

• Inquirer
  • Thanks akatar, but I have now tried three different ways of resetting my HC2.

1. Disconnecting the HC2 and plugging in the power plug again while holding in the reset button (the one with the + sign), and keeping holding this button pressed until all blue LED lights have turned to a static blue light state. And after that connecting HC2 directly to a PC without a router and the given the PC a static ip-adress of 192.168.85.5 and in a web browser trying to connect to the HC2 on its static ip-adress of 192.168.85.1 (having asumed that the HC2 gets this static adress if I keep pressing the reset button until a LED lights are shining with a static blue light). Also with this set up trying to connect to HC2 via Fibaro Finder.

2. Same as above but releasing the reset button after four of the eigth LED lights have turned static.

3. Releasing the reset button emmediatly after the first LED light starts blinking and with the HC2 and PC both connected to a router with an address range set from 192.168.10.1 (router) and upwards and assuming that this kind of reset will get the HC2 to receive an ip address from the router and using DHCP.

Neither of these attempts have resulted in successfully manage to get access to the HC2. So I still need some help on what to do to get the HC2 back and visible to the network.

[ Added: 2014-07-30, 06:50 ]

I have also tried to keep holding the reset button until all the LED lights BEFORE the Recovery Mode LED light turns static and releasing the button while Recovery Mode LED light is still flashing rapidly and with the HC2 and the PC connected to a router.

And also trying the same thing but releasing the reset button when the Recovery Mode LED has turned static and only the last two LED lights are blinking rapidly.

Hi DAWO,

The factory reset process does not maintain the static IP. As akatar said, the HC2 will use DHCP to get a new IP Address when in recovery mode.

If you connect both the HC2 and your PC to a router and power on with reset button depressed then release after about 5 seconds, you can then use Fibaro Finder to find the new IP Address.

Hope this helps

Jeremy

• Inquirer
  • Unfortunately I think I have tried all combinations by now. Holding down the Learn Mode Button at various lengths, connecting the HC2 directly to a PC, and via a router, and still no contact at all with the HC2 via Fibaro Finder or via web browser…I do not have any ideas left...

Hi,

Something to try / check .. Can you log into your router ? and make sure DHCP is turned on ? Also if you log into your router can you then see what numbers it has allocated ? you could then try and direct connect to the HC2 ip as allocated by the router ? or the HC2 Finder will work then if all is set.

Cheers,

al.

Guest GG

Have you tried to connect a monitor directly to HC2?

There are a VGA and a DVI connector behind a small metal plate on the HC2.

It might display some errors during boot and give a hint what is the problem.

Actually this sounds very strange, but I have had the same problem twice. HC2 will not boot (or at least this is what I suspect) and when I connect a monitor to it, suddenly everything work. It really should not matter it you have a monitor connected, so instead the fact that it takes a couple of minutes to disconnect the HC2 and remove the metal plate might be the key. Leave the HC2 disconnected from mains for a couple of minutes could possible solv the problem.

Could be worth a try.

Ulf

DAWO, to assign static IP address to your HC2 you need to turn it on normally, and after reboot hold recovery button shortly, till the third diode flickers. Now your HC2 has static address 192.168.81.1 Now you need to connect your PC directly to HC2. Enter setting panel in your computer and set addresses as follows:

IP: 192.168.81.2

Defualt Gateway: 192.168.81.1

then just cick field with subnet mask adresses and it will fill itself.

DNS needs to be obtained automatically.

Now try to access your HC2 by entering in browser address: 192.168.81.1

When HC2 has static IP it cannot be connected through router and holding button long enough so all light lit up entered HC in recovery mode.

If you want to make a rollback to previous version you can always perform recovery and bring back old back-up.

I ran the 3.907 update and realized that all my devices got messed up so I thought I would go back to stable 3.591 but all recent backups are gone now! So I'm stuck with a messed up system and nothing to go back to...

Any suggestions?

//M

[ Added: 2014-09-05, 11:47 ]

I went into recovery mode and did a factory reset, voila! All recent backups are back, but... I get an error when trying to restore it´s a #4. Anyone knows what it means?

//M

you can not go back to 3.591? that is also a beta?

i guess you are using 3.590 and you're 3.591 backups will not work on 3.590

Same problem here, all backups are gone and can´t access recovery mode. But I can access a messed up system after 3.907 beta update

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_exclaim.gif" alt=":!:" />

... and I created a ticket @ support

/emoticons/default_icon_biggrin.gif" alt=":-D" />

OK I got into recovery and found all my backups. Step by step I am getting back and GUI in 1.047 reports that there´s a new update 3.590 but this one wont install? To many updates in between?

/M

Kappnet: can you write a few lines how ? Like if u used DHCP or static ip. But also how and when u pushed the + button. I have tried a hole day but do not get it to work

Should be

1) close down

2) hold + button

3) turn on

4) let go of + button

If you hold the button too long the HC2 will either go to static IP or as it has done to me go to DHCP.

If you find that it restarts and you can not see it on the old IP then there is a finder app here for Windows and MAC

Please login or register to see this link.

When in recovery be careful not to select the reset z-wave option or you will be re-adding all of your devices again!!!

@Apax: Yes robmac is right on the spot, it is also pretty poorly described in

Please login or register to see this link.

on page 91.

/emoticons/default_icon_confused.gif" alt=":-?" />

I tried multiple times to get into recovery mode with static IP but since I had the MAC address locked in my DHCP it always went back to the former address. Once I understood that I just rebooted into recovery mode and connected to the ordinary LAN-address. If you really need to access your HC2 on the 192.168.81.1 address you reboot inte recovery like robmac explains and wait for like 3 minutes the you press the + button again and you should see one of the diodes lighting up and indicating that HC2 is ready for acces on the 192.168.81.1 address.

Good luck!

robmac,

When in recovery be careful not to select the reset z-wave option or you will be re-adding all of your devices again!!!

Don't worry that option is even better - because in backup you restore zwave chip so all device will go back and you will have control on them again (if you not removed them or added later - after backup)

@ A.Socha

What are the steps in getting from one version to the next one after recovery?

Can you for instance go from 1.038 directly to 3.590 or do you have to take "baby steps" and doing them all in between?

//M

kappnet, nope

you must go from 1.038 to -> 1.040 -> 1.047 -> 3.590

how can I reset my HCL to factory setting?

Hi!

I have try everything above this post but my HC2 doesn't work anymore.

All the blue lights are on and i don't get the HC2 in recovery mode.

How to restore the HC2?