Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro Motion Sensor reliable by now?

hvb83

I know there were some initial hick-ups with these sensors. What is the general consensus by now in combination with HC2? are they reliable enough for PIR, temperature and Lux? So no false triggers, no false readings and no situations were the sensor doesn't respond anymore?

Guest lochnesz

From my experience they are not reliable. I am running 3.590 with three Fibaro Motion sensors. All three sensors have tripped, one by one. It appears as if the false trip is more os less depending on time in use or without movement maybe. I have the sensors installed in my holiday home, so there are longer periods when no one is in the house. First sensor tripped after maybe 10-14 days, and then the other two after one to two weeks after that. I had a case with Fibaro, and they logged into my HC2, but they couldn't do anything. The solution according to Fibaro would be to reset the sensor, which in my case is a bit difficult since the house is 3500 km away. So I am stuck with three sensors in breach now...

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_cry.gif" alt=":cry:" />

I have 3 Fibaro motion sensors with HC2 in my home for 2 months now. At the initial stage, 1 motion sensor was acting up and stopped responding after the first week. It has been replaced (under warranty by vendor who installed it) and since then, it has been running fine. In the first 2-3 weeks, the initial parameters (eg. very long wake period compared to default) set by the vendor was not ideal and there were some false breach and false safe situation. After some fine tuning myself on parameter 6 and scenes associated with the motion sensors, all 3 sensors seem to be behaving well over the last 2-3 weeks.

I intend to add another motion sensor this week but have been informed there is a shortage of stock at the moment and the earliest shipment is only coming in between mid to end Nov.

/emoticons/default_sad.png" alt=":(" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

• Topic Author
  • Hmm, I was hoping for a clear go. Maybe I'll just buy one for now just to test and see what happens..

I have 4 Fibaro Motion sensors running with 3.591. I have a lot of problems. Lights that are turing on during the day because the Lux value is not updating on every sensor and motion breach are there without any motion! So I am not happy with the sensors...

From my experience they are not reliable. I am running 3.590 with three Fibaro Motion sensors. All three sensors have tripped, one by one. It appears as if the false trip is more os less depending on time in use or without movement maybe. I have the sensors installed in my holiday home, so there are longer periods when no one is in the house. First sensor tripped after maybe 10-14 days, and then the other two after one to two weeks after that. I had a case with Fibaro, and they logged into my HC2, but they couldn't do anything. The solution according to Fibaro would be to reset the sensor, which in my case is a bit difficult since the house is 3500 km away. So I am stuck with three sensors in breach now...

/emoticons/default_icon_cry.gif" alt=":cry:" />

+1 More or less the same for me for my holiday home. At my regular house the appear more stable...

"some initial hick-ups" is the understatement of the day.

The Fibaro motion sensor is still totally broken and completely useless in HC2.

Fibaro still doesn't seem to think that this is important enough to release a fix.

They just say we have to wait for a future stable release. Unbelievable.

Having a motion sensor having to break down by having false alarms and stuck last breached. Only exclude and re including will solve such issue.

Guest lochnesz
    My motion sensor is working fine, but i have disabled tamper protection.

Maybe the solution would be to turn off the tamper protection to avoid the false breaches. It it difficult to tell what caused the breach since the GUI doesn't show motion and tamper separately.

lochnesz, we fixed that problem in 4.x where tamper and motion got seperate value property

Guest lochnesz
    we fixed that problem in 4.x where tamper and motion got seperate value property

Great, looking forward to a stable release of 4.x

MalvinYNJ, you should bring Motion Sensor to HC, change and save parameters, wake up Sensor (3x click on "B" button) and after transmission is done refresh page.

False breaches are usually a matter of tamper (by default it does not cancel alarms), to detect smaller changes of light proper parameters should be adjusted.

j.nowacki, done. For the issue of the stucked last breached timing, is there any way to solve it? Have been facing the stucked last breached timing for 2 times already. Had to exclude and include the motion sensor, thus affecting all scenes.

Guest lochnesz

j.nowacki, so setting parameter 24 to 1 would solve the sensor stuck in breach due to tamper?

I have 9 Fibaro motion sensors. One reports as dead at least one time a day. One mysteriously changed to a temperature sensor a few weeks ago, a great deal of exclusion/inclusion + rebooting fixed it, eventually. One appears as always detecting motion despite there being none, I’m yet to fix this. Other than that, it’s all pukka.

In my experience the sensors are unreliable too. If you have multiple of them like I do then you can simply put them to the test by positioning them in the same room, in a row next to each other.

Even when you apply the same configuration parameters to all of them, you will get different lux values, different temperature readings and different motion detection. These devices have not been calibrated properly.

But, the most annoying thing is the random errors in temperature reading; you may find that suddenly the temperature reported by one of the sensors jumps from +21C to -1256C or +798C. In the last case Fibaro will trigger an alert of a possible fire. And that in turn makes these devices useless for use as a fire detection mechanism...

If you want to connect motion sensors to your Fibaro for burglary protection or anything like that, you're probably better of using traditional PIR sensor and figuring out a way to connect them to your Fibaro - for example by using a universal sensor. Or just buy a true alarm system and integrate that.

martijnt,

I have that also with the AEON sensors (temp and lux), so maybe it's a HC 2 issue and not a sensor issue...