Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Buzzing GU10'S

mark thornhill

Question

Hi all,

I have has a HCL in for about 4 months initially as a lighting control system and slowly adding heating control etc.

All works great but the only thing that I'm struggling to find is a dimmable GU10 LED lamp that doesn't buzz when not at 100%.

I have brought so many now and had to return to various store as the buzzing on some lamps is horrendous.

Has anyone found or had success with any dimmable GU10 lamps? If so can you point me in the right direction (UK) to where I can buy them.

Cheers

Mark.

5 answers to this question

• Inquirer
  • Have one fitted already as the bulbs were flickering when switched off.

Just seems to be a mine field with LED lamps, have BC lamps and the are fine, think it is the chip sets on board the GU10's that cause the buzzing.

Have one fitted already as the bulbs were flickering when switched off.

Just seems to be a mine field with LED lamps, have BC lamps and the are fine, think it is the chip sets on board the GU10's that cause the buzzing.

Did you find a solution Mark? Did you tried the new Dimmer 2? What kind of transformer are you using?

@Mark,

try using an universal dimmer in Trailing edge mode.

I'm almost sure that every non-dimmable LED light will make some audible noise.

We have noticed also that some dimmable led bulbs buzz when controlled in Leading edge mode, that is when connected to a standard triac dimmer.

Dimmer 2 could control in both, Trailing and Leading-edge mode.

The buzz is an effect of high amp current spikes in the bulbs, connected with rapid voltage change when dimmer turns on for example in 90deg. phase (thats changing voltage from 0V to 320V instantly on bulbs).

Led light is a capacitive type of load, so every current that it could consume is taken from the mains.

Hope this will help you.

@Malvin,

Bypass won't help with this issue.

Hi guys,

I kinda have same problem with 3 buzzing Leds connected to a dimmer 2. The leds are dimmable, they are 5w each connected to a lamp in which I have another 3 halogens bulbs.

when I dimm the light up, all three leds starts to buzz and the noise is increasing as I increase the light intensity!

Right now if I replace the halogens and leave only the leds I'll have only 15 w and I know the minimum required is 25w so I ordered another 3 leds to make the test.

Could anyone please tell me how to loose the noise? I read some comments that say to modify parameter 20 but how? 

Please help! 

Thanks