Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

TTS Sonos

hayabusachris

Question

Hay has anyone any idea why the text to speak is no longer working - about 8 weeks ago it needed an adjustment in the LUA code but again it has stopped?

oh noes not again...

same here doesnt work anymore...

hope someone finds the solotion again soon

can't live without my plants telling me when they want water.

poor plants

hmmmm,

just got a sonos box and was tryingto get tts work...  No luck there

But I'm not the only one

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

hey!

I have the sonos player 1 with firmware latest(5.5) and I have the kirchofs VD. Works like a charm!

Instead of having to rely on a TTS engine, isn't it easier to create fixed files (record them as wav or mp3 files), store them somewhere on a NAS in the network and then create scenes for each action you want to blast over your Sonos system?

That way, you're not dependent on a remote service that may fail.

Nonetheless, how would you have to write such a script?

Instead of having to rely on a TTS engine, isn't it easier to create fixed files (record them as wav or mp3 files), store them somewhere on a NAS in the network and then create scenes for each action you want to blast over your Sonos system?

That way, you're not dependent on a remote service that may fail.

Nonetheless, how would you have to write such a script?

i have found some info and created a short video.

Please login or register to see this link.

this is what i use to make announcements on my sonos speakers

Fixed files are great for static messages indeed.  TTS can be used to create dynamic messages like telling the weather forecast ect.

In my case every morning the (current) weather reports (was) on the SONOS device when the first person walked into the Livingroom.

Fixed files are great for static messages indeed.  TTS can be used to create dynamic messages like telling the weather forecast ect. [/size]

[/size]

In my case every morning the (current) weather reports (was) on the SONOS device when the first person walked into the Livingroom.[/size]

Can you share your weather code?

Br Niklas

Have a look at this great work:

A VD with weather code.

I used the code from from 'Doonic Jean-Christophe Vermandé, Nicolas Dörig and stevenvd' and modified this VD to a Doorbel, Welcome and Radio button.

Unitl the release off SONOS 5.5 everything was working great. now even fresh imported VD from Doonic fails to play TTS.

It works the first time, after that it seems broken ;-(

• Inquirer
  • I have just tried this VD and it worked once now - nothing

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_sad.png" alt=":(" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  deleted and reinstalled still nothing? - SONOS is on 5.5 

Well I found some funny behaviour here.

When TTS stops working if you remove the "ie=UTF-8" character set selection in the Sonos.PlayTTS function of the Virtual Device, the TTS starts working again... until some music is played through Sonos, and then it fails to play TTS again.

The funny thing is that if you replace back "ie=UTF-8" then, TTS works again.

So it seems that the new Sonos 5.5 release somehow mismatches the character map after a radio stream is played, and has to be reset through a new definition in the Play command.

Hoggle, you said that your TTS works OK. Are you using Sonos only for TTS purposes or you can play music streams as well?

On friday the "Good Morning"-Button of Doonics-VD ​worked fine (with a Play 5).

But I played yesterday with  the VD and my Play 1 - and that was not so good.

On the Play 1 the "Good Morning"-Button of Doonics-VD an TTS have a problem...... 

Guest vipernor

It looks like the TTS in Sonos struggles with notifications..since text is working for me. 

fibaro:setGlobal("SonosTTS", "lng=en|dr=auto|vol=20|txt=Good Morning! It's 07:30 and the temperature is 7 degrees. . . .|");

example that is not working:  

local notification = os.date("Good Morning! It's %A . . . and the temperature is "..patchTemp.." degrees.")

fibaro:setGlobal("SonosTTS", "lng=en|dr=auto|vol=20|txt="..notification..". . .|");

Edit: As stated previously above by Brick, it only works once..  

• Inquirer
  • I have tried using the google tts on my PC - an error message displayed stating that excessive use of this service from my ip address and a temporary block has been applied. I confirmed that it was for legitimate use and the tts worked again for all of five minutes. I cant see any problem with it being from sonos. Just the google service. 

I also tested google translator directly from a http connection without involving Sonos to discard Google malfunction and I got not errors.

You may get the "excesive use from your IP" message if the http request is invalid.

Try this on your browser:

or

and see if you get it through.