Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Program Change Request

campbell@pudseytech.co.uk

Hi. I hope I'm putting this post in the right place. I would like this to be read by the FIBARO ADMIN. Please would you consider making a program change in the next firmware update to allow a countdown timer to change the state of variables. It would cut down in the amount of problems with "too many instances" using block programming. We want to sell Fibaro systems to home users but see the "instance" issue as a potential warranty complaint from customers. Could FIBARO please acknowledge reading this. We have tried to use the customer support number in the UK several times but no one gets back to us.

No feedback from support? Welcome to the fibaro world!

I got 6 cases wo any response for over 1 month...

Hi. I hope I'm putting this post in the right place. I would like this to be read by the FIBARO ADMIN. Please would you consider making a program change in the next firmware update to allow a countdown timer to change the state of variables. It would cut down in the amount of problems with "too many instances" using block programming. We want to sell Fibaro systems to home users but see the "instance" issue as a potential warranty complaint from customers. Could FIBARO please acknowledge reading this. We have tried to use the customer support number in the UK several times but no one gets back to us.

Hello,

The instances were introduced to users a while ago.

Here you can find an explanation of the instances:

Please login or register to see this link.

I hope this will shed some light on the idea of instances.

• Topic Author
  • To say I am a little disappointed with FIBARO admin is an understatement. Do you really want me to go out and sell your product? I know about instances. Either you haven't read the question properly or are ignoring it and have just copied and pasted a standard reply whenever you read the word INSTANCE.. ... Would it be possible for you to consider adding the additional functionality to the blocks program to make it more flexible for a user (your customer) that doesn't have programming experience. I am now beginning to understand why people get disgruntled and stop using the Fibaro system. I cannot understand a company that  has the potential to be a world leader in home automation, just buries it's head in the sand when issues arise, ignore customers request for help by ignoring phone messages and failing to correctly answer questions on it's own forum. There are a lot of people on this forum putting a great deal of effort and time into making this product work and yes providing solutions and ideas to make your product better. They deserve proper support and feedback from FIBARO  and that starts by reading the posts properly and responding properly. Am I really asking for too much? what do others think?

I want to be able to do this from block programming.

setTimeout(function()
          fibaro:setGlobal("loungeLight1", "0");
        end, 1820000)

At the moment setTimeout() isn't even supported in virtual devices.

From my experience, and no offence is intended by this, but opening advanced configuration options to end users without programming experience only brings more problems and potential distaste for the Fibaro brand. Some of the best and most respected systems require you to attend certified training before getting access to any level of programming. Because of this, they rarely get complaints as only trained professionals are installing their products. I'd be very thankful to Fibaro for the risk they are taking allowing Joe Public this much configuration access.

Block programming is a great idea to give beginners a start in automation programming but IMHO should be limited to basic IF ELSE conditions. Could you use an interval based block timer instead? Haven't used it myself but looks like it may do what you're after.

And yes, I agree the Fibaro support response could improve. Sometimes it seems like there's only a couple of people managing tech support for the whole business...part time 

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_curve.gif" alt=":-/" /> Fibaro has definitely bitten into something big to chew and their system does show some promise. I just hope the Fibaro management is putting the right brains and people behind it.

• Topic Author
  • Thank you for your reply and I do agree that giving Joe public access to advanced programming can be dangerous but there has to be a balance. The issue I have is that there are a number of plush videos and literature circulating that push the idea that it is very easy and quick to produce a fully automated house when you and I know it isn't. The reason I would like variables to have the timeout function is quite simple. It makes things less messy when turning devices on and off. Yes I know that I can do it in lua but I want it in blocks for the end user who may want to add functionality themselves. I will provide the user with instructions. Let me try and explain. 

At the moment you can use blocks to produce many scenes to turn on and off a simple light. That light can have delays in turning on and off. It can be turned on for security purposes, people passing through, people in the room etc etc. Very messy and when things go wrong hard to trace the problem. I want to only control variables from the scenes. and have 2 end scenes that turn the light on and off. This is effectively what occurs in PLC programming where multi device complex systems are involved. In my pictures I have a back garden light that is turned on and off by 4 scenes.    

scene1 (back PIR)

Light level below 200

PIR triggered

Turns on for 2 mins

e.g 

local startSource = fibaro:getSourceTrigger();
    if (
     ( tonumber(fibaro:getGlobalValue("backTrigNight")) == tonumber("0") )
    and
     ( tonumber(fibaro:getValue(31, "value")) <= 200 )
    and
     ( tonumber(fibaro:getValue(106, "value")) > 0 )
    or
    startSource["type"] == "other"
    )
    then
    fibaro:setGlobal("backTrigNight", "1");

setTimeout(function()
      fibaro:setGlobal("backTrigNight", "0");
          end, 126000)
    end

scene 2 (Front PIR)

Light level below 200

PIR triggered

Turns on for 2 mins

scene 3 (Back Door Switch)

Light Level below 200

Back door switch Open.

scene 4 (Back Door Switch)

Back door switch close.

Nice tidy programming in a structure that is not chaotic. When things go wrong the starting place for diagnosing the fault is the 2 end on/off scenes and then trace backward. Adding additional functions is easy. Make another scene and add the variable into the final key on/off scenes.   This is something that can easily be documented and taught to most end users. At the moment this cannot be done without using LUA. I don't thing adding this extra functionality is going to be too complicated I think it will make things easier.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Is this what you are wanting to achieve?

Multi condition on:

Multi condition timed off:

The light will turn on if motion is detected on either sensor or the door is open.

The light will turn off after both motion sensors have been not been breached for 2 mins and the door is closed.

Edited by seiq

For that last block scenes I think you need 5 instances minimum. If breach with the first 30 secs = 2, then breached again 3 etc... Or scene will stop running and complain?

Not 100% but logically I think you would need to extend running scenes to 5 or change motion timer to 120secs not default 30secs.

• 3 weeks later...

To say I am a little disappointed with FIBARO admin is an understatement. Do you really want me to go out and sell your product? I know about instances. Either you haven't read the question properly or are ignoring it and have just copied and pasted a standard reply whenever you read the word INSTANCE.. ... Would it be possible for you to consider adding the additional functionality to the blocks program to make it more flexible for a user (your customer) that doesn't have programming experience. I am now beginning to understand why people get disgruntled and stop using the Fibaro system. I cannot understand a company that  has the potential to be a world leader in home automation, just buries it's head in the sand when issues arise, ignore customers request for help by ignoring phone messages and failing to correctly answer questions on it's own forum. There are a lot of people on this forum putting a great deal of effort and time into making this product work and yes providing solutions and ideas to make your product better. They deserve proper support and feedback from FIBARO  and that starts by reading the posts properly and responding properly. Am I really asking for too much? what do others think?

I want to be able to do this from block programming.

setTimeout(function()
          fibaro:setGlobal("loungeLight1", "0");
        end, 1820000)

Hello,

Yes, we vastly support users who contribute on the forum

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> Many of them shared their solutions in proper subforum and many of the solutions gave us ideas to improve our system. I encourage you, @[email protected], to become such a contributed user!

It is possible that I misunderstood your message, @[email protected]. But what is your aim in insulting me and the company? Especially, if you are a FIBARO partner. You can simply clarify your original statement if you feel misunderstood.

From what now I understand, you do not have an issue with our system, but you would like us to add a functionality to the system of block scenes - meaning that you have a suggestion for us.

As @seiq mentioned, block scenes are for simple solutions that newbies in home automation can use them. Adding more and more features does not make any function/solution simple. Can you image what would happen if we add every suggested functionality?

I will forward this thread to the appropriate team for consideration. But I cannot promise if there will be any decision soon.

Hello,

Yes, we vastly support users who contribute on the forum

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Many of them shared their solutions in proper subforum and many of the solutions gave us ideas to improve our system. I encourage you, @[email protected], to become such a contributed user!

It is possible that I misunderstood your message, @[email protected]. But what is your aim in insulting me and the company? Especially, if you are a FIBARO partner. You can simply clarify your original statement if you feel misunderstood.

From what now I understand, you do not have an issue with our system, but you would like us to add a functionality to the system of block scenes - meaning that you have a suggestion for us.

As @seiq mentioned, block scenes are for simple solutions that newbies in home automation can use them. Adding more and more features does not make any function/solution simple. Can you image what would happen if we add every suggested functionality?

I will forward this thread to the appropriate team for consideration. But I cannot promise if there will be any decision soon.

But block scenes do not work properly so how is that user friendly for new users?

1 x motion sensor default parameters

When breached switched on light (scene 1)

When safe for 15 mins switch off light (scene 2)

That will not work and never will!

Fact

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />