Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

"while true do" mystery

AutoFrank

Question

CANCEL THIS - I SOLVED IT WITH A VD USING THE MAIN LOOP

Hi,

This is prob not a huge mystery and something basic I'm missing.

If I remove the While true do loop from the code below and execute it manually it works okay but once I add the while loop to get it check all the time the scene doesn't run

Could somebody take a look and tell me where I'm being stupid

Thanks

-F

Please login or register to see this code.

Edited by autofrank

4 answers to this question

An "infinite while" does not work with HTTPClient and also not with setTimeout. Never. Those functions *schedule a task*. That task runs, *after* main code ends. So when main never ends, because you keep code alive in an infinite loop, the tasks never start! How can you keep a loop going with those special functions? In the "success" part (and even better: also in the "error part"!), you can do whatever you like, including... calling *yourself* (recursion) or any other function. If you don't do that, the "success" part simply ends and everything stops. I can explain that in a better way, but not right know. Fixing the code takes a while, btw. Yell if you need more help.

• Inquirer
  • An "infinite while" does not work with HTTPClient and also not with setTimeout. Never. Those functions *schedule a task*. That task runs, *after* main code ends. So when main never ends, because you keep code alive in an infinite loop, the tasks never start! How can you keep a loop going with those special functions? In the "success" part (and even better: also in the "error part"!), you can do whatever you like, including... calling *yourself* (recursion) or any other function. If you don't do that, the "success" part simply ends and everything stops. I can explain that in a better way, but not right know. Fixing the code takes a while, btw. Yell if you need more help.

Thanks Peter -

that makes sense and actually answers another issue I was having.

I solved the issue by creating a virtual device with the code running in the main loop and labels to display the state

I only need to keep track of 3 zones ( as they are unamplified zones that leverage some power amps)

For these three I write the state to a global variable and then have a listening scene the triggers on a global variable change

the VD code is below. (the dining room zone is an example of where I write to the global variable as the state changes)

-Frank

Please login or register to see this code.

i have another situation...

I'm go away from home and set arm.

one of my scrip doesn't have "Do not allow alarm to stop scene while alarm is running" flag.

so: 

[DEBUG] raspberry Pi:12:40:19: 19°С/22°С 32% 760mm-Hg
    [DEBUG] raspberry Pi:12:41:19: 19°С/22°С 32% 760mm-Hg
    as we can see script has been stopped.
    after when I disarm home I hoped what FHC continue my scrip again... but It was my mistake...