Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro the Button Problem

Tommy88

So.. I have 3 buttons that I use for lights.

Associated in group 3 with double click enabled, and on 3 clicks set a specific dim %.

So my problem is that if I wake up in the night (we have a baby) and I want to dim the light up a bit in the bedroom, I click and hold my blue button, but when I release its a 50% chance that it continues to dim up to full strenght (100%) (if it actually reacts, many times I have to click it 6 times to wake it up before the server even will react to anything) I got a HCL and the button is 5meters form the HCL almost straight in the air.

I have the same issue with all 3 buttons (that all is located different places and is used for different lights (Dimmer2)

Any ideas?

Also my RAM usage is through the roof (96-99%) all time...

I have only got 5 scenes running (2 for setting a variable at evening and morning, 2 for setting a variable for mye heating evening and morning, and 1 for restarting the server every night at 3pm cause I'm tired of it crashing after a few days..)

Edited by Tommy88

So.. I have 3 buttons that I use for lights.

Associated in group 3 with double click enabled, and on 3 clicks set a specific dim %.

So my problem is that if I wake up in the night (we have a baby) and I want to dim the light up a bit in the bedroom, I click and hold my blue button, but when I release its a 50% chance that it continues to dim up to full strenght (100%) (if it actually reacts, many times I have to click it 6 times to wake it up before the server even will react to anything) I got a HCL and the button is 5meters form the HCL almost straight in the air.

I have the same issue with all 3 buttons (that all is located different places and is used for different lights (Dimmer2)

Any ideas?

Also my RAM usage is through the roof (96-99%) all time...

I have only got 5 scenes running (2 for setting a variable at evening and morning, 2 for setting a variable for mye heating evening and morning, and 1 for restarting the server every night at 3pm cause I'm tired of it crashing after a few days..)

Hi

See here regarding ram usage.

Please login or register to see this link.

Wow! Not offense, but people are actually buying these things? I honestly thought they were a marketing gimmick... Battery operated devices drive me insane. What's wrong with a simple wall switch?

Personally, I'd much rather see R&D/marketing time & budget spent on something useful - like making reliable controllers and intuitive smartphone apps. Get the foundations of the system rock solid first. Or is that crazy thinking?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am using Fibaro Button for a one month. At the beginning it works fine, but after few days I had to press 1 or 3 or 4 times to wake button up undependably of distance 1 or 10 m from HC2 (4.100v) and another 3 or  ...

Any ideas? :cry:

• Topic Author
  • I'm still stuck with the same problem as you unfortently :( seems like it falls asleep and you have to wake it up in order to use it again :/

My Button has a problem with Hold and Release. Hold as an action is fine, but Release is always not transfered correctly.  

I do not get any errors in the UI. The problem is that the button is not reliable in performing an action. Pressing the button four times is not a good way for wakeup procedure as other scenes or programs are thus not clear. First, one does not know if the button is in a sleep mode or is awake by recent use by some other person, so scene that would be triggered by four clicks is a no go. If already awake, the button would trigger a scene, if not it woud first wakeup. Quite often the wake up is not successful so one ends up pressing the button on and on and with no feedback info on the status - there is no way of knowing what you are triggering. For a non technical user (eg, kid, wife, guests... ) this Is a nightmare as the expected action is not performed and you are left with no clear indication of the status or triggered scene.There should have been a LED indicator showing the wakeup status to clearly give a feedback that the button is ready for action or should first be woken. Blinking green or red would do the trick, hidden in the plastic, so that the button flashes ( :) ), such as does motion sensor when sensing presence of an object moving in front of it.

what sleep? There is nothing like that by design.

Sure, the z-wave module is in sleep mode to reduce power consumption, but as soon it has been triggered, the data will get transmitted within few milliseconds, there is no way to "see" this delay, not by a human.

IF there is any kind of delay, then it can be only because of:

- you have not pushed deep enough (issue nr1. for non-technical users, they think they pushed, but only the battery spring, not the button spring)

- you have pooling problem (issue nr2)

- you have z-wave problem (broken device, communication problem - e.g. you moved battery powered device out of range) 

- you have *abuse* scenes / VD and the gateway need (more) time to run them

- you are using association (they need by design some time to/get send/confirmed by target device)

Solution (in that order):

- teach users to push deeper,

- check pooling on other devices (issue nr.2),

- check your scenes/VD,

- learn how z-wave works, when you have Button added in one room, do not move it to different room if there is no exact the same mesh route

- remove associations and set Button properties to "no action" for each any association group,

- disable alarm frame triggers,

- use LUA instead of magic scenes (i saw on some previous builds delay issues with magic scenes, but not on v4.100)

1 hour ago, tinman said:

what sleep? There is nothing like that by design.

Sure, the z-wave module is in sleep mode to reduce power consumption, but as soon it has been triggered, the data will get transmitted within few milliseconds, there is no way to "see" this delay, not by a human.

IF there is any kind of delay, then it can be only because of:

- you have not pushed deep enough (issue nr1. for non-technical users, they think they pushed, but only the battery spring, not the button spring)

- you have pooling problem (issue nr2)

- you have z-wave problem (broken device, communication problem - e.g. you moved battery powered device out of range) 

- you have *abuse* scenes / VD and the gateway need (more) time to run them

- you are using association (they need by design some time to/get send/confirmed by target device)

Solution (in that order):

- teach users to push deeper,

- check pooling on other devices (issue nr.2),

- check your scenes/VD,

- learn how z-wave works, when you have Button added in one room, do not move it to different room if there is no exact the same mesh route

- remove associations and set Button properties to "no action" for each any association group,

- disable alarm frame triggers,

- use LUA instead of magic scenes (i saw on some previous builds delay issues with magic scenes, but not on v4.100)

zwave is smart enough to see/learn new routes

some device should be added close by and after that move them to the room you want to use it (that's how fibaro tells you to)

if the software has problems with changes to the mesh network you should be able to choose: at night look for all neighbours

10 hours ago, akatar said:

zwave is smart enough to see/learn new routes

some device should be added close by and after that move them to the room you want to use it (that's how fibaro tells you to)

if the software has problems with changes to the mesh network you should be able to choose: at night look for all neighbours

in this case does not matter what zwave and/or gateway could/can do, but if there is immediate reaction if customer trigger scene with device within last working range, which definitely work as expected. We sold hundreds of Buttons, and (except DOA devices or customers with other zwave/setup issues) there are no problems with Buttons.

" Hi,

I am using Fibaro Button for a one month. At the beginning it works fine, but after few days I had to press 1 or 3 or 4 times to wake button up undependably of distance 1 or 10 m from HC2 (4.100v) and another 3 or  ...

Any ideas? :cry: "

some remarks:

1.  " wake up"  -of corse -  in this case I mean force devices to be active by pressing button 1 or 2 or x time
    2.  After every press - icon status shows -  "communications correct" - but only after few  1 or 2 or ... pressing  -> on icon appear additionally " 1x" or " 2x" and my scene is starting (at last) 
    3.  After that Button works fine for some time ...

By the way - I do not agree that:

1. You must finish: "Press Button Academy"

2. Have PHD of: z-wave

3. Create scenes only in LUA

4 ...

-To buy and use the Button & have fun

• 2 weeks later...

Goodmorning,

I have exactly the same problem. After a time of non using the button I have to push the button several times to let it work.

When it then works it lost never a click.

• 4 weeks later...
    Guest calvin4000

Actually, I bought one of these Fibaro Button to try it and I bumped in the same problem...

After a while, the UI writes 'Waiting for wakeup'.... when I press on The Button 1x, nothing happens..

If I force a wakeup, (4x hits), I can use 1x, 2x, etc without any problem... but only for a while... it means that to be able to use 'The Button', I have to wake it up manually before... :-(

It is a weird behavior, in my opinion... I use NodON and minimote remotes without any problem, I never had to wake up a device before using it before..

Any idea ?

On 10/31/2016 at 0:08 PM, LP1 said:

Goodmorning,

I have exactly the same problem. After a time of non using the button I have to push the button several times to let it work.

When it then works it lost never a click.

Same here. Planned to buy more of them but it is unfinished product which likes more to sleep than anything else :-P

Guest calvin4000
    1 hour ago, Sankotronic said:

Same here. Planned to buy more of them but it is unfinished product which likes more to sleep than anything else :-P

Crap, I was hoping I was the only one with this problem... or that I did something wrong...

I'm going to try a full reset of the Button and start again..... :cry:

Well, inclusion of mine button went well and it was working for sometime ok, but then it fell in a deep sleep and it doesn't like to be woken up. I hope that Fibaro will in some reasonable time publish firmware update for theirs sleeping beauties or it will came on the list of fiascos on which swipe already is. Same problem if it's powered with batteries and on other hand it is very finicky with power supplies and many cause it to cry.

Guest calvin4000

Common, Fibaro, we shlould not have to wakeup The Buttons before using them, it never happens with minimotes or NodON switches/remotes... something is wrong... :(