Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro Dimmer2 Retrofit into existing 2-Way/Intermediate Switches

eddiem74

Question

Looking for any Fibaro Dimmer2 Retrofit expertise...

Please login or register to see this link.

So my house has various 2-Way/Intermediate Switching as per the below diagrams. This is common place wiring in Ireland.

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2016_10/2-Way.jpg.169d408c64578f2258517fd37279e583.jpg" alt="2-Way.jpg" />

Intermediate.jpg

I am trying to retrofit install Dimmer2's however am struggling to find a wiring option that does not result in me losing all switches bar one.

I was looking at various wiring diagrams here:

Please login or register to see this link.

Anyone done this and found a way?

Yes without a neutral, and or the load wire and live feed ending up at either end switch together, it doesnt leave you with any options.

Pulling in more cables may be you only fix.

4 hours ago, eddiem74 said:

Got my electrician to view your comments he said " The perm Live doesn't come via the light fitting and lives and neutrals are all ran in singles. " Thiink I am snookered?

Have you considered the following

At the switch that you would like to fit the relay find the switched live. Find where it connects to the ceiling rose. Disconnect at the ceiling rose and tie (securely) a single neutral and a single live to it (or a twin). Pull these back down to the switch using the switched live . Reconnect the new switched live and you now also have a neutral at your switch that you can connect to the neutral in the ceiling rose. Don't forget your earths. Run it by your electrician to check for compliance & safety.

• Inquirer
  • On 1/19/2017 at 11:36 PM, 110th Street said:

Have you considered the following

At the switch that you would like to fit the relay find the switched live. Find where it connects to the ceiling rose. Disconnect at the ceiling rose and tie (securely) a single neutral and a single live to it (or a twin). Pull these back down to the switch using the switched live . Reconnect the new switched live and you now also have a neutral at your switch that you can connect to the neutral in the ceiling rose. Don't forget your earths. Run it by your electrician to check for compliance & safety.

Yes, even fitting the dimmer2 in the ceiling itself is an option rather than directly at the switch, however the lights are 5 GU10 down-lighters and the attic is floored above which means lifting floorboards to find the necessary wiring. My only options seem to be that or installing the dimmer2 at one switch and then activating the other switches via association using a door/window sensor for example at each one.