Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Tv control - how to do it?

viga81

Question

Hi,

I've a new Samsung smart tv - plugin is not working, and logitech harmony still unsupported (with the last beta release it seems working only with scenes...).

so how can I control my tv? 

Remotec zxt120 (even if it is made especially for air conditioned)?

Any other solution?

Thanks

Hi, 

I use the global cache GC-100-12. It's networked and this gives me 6 IR ports and I have spare network cables to the back of my TV for the IR emitters. I have their learner device and use this to capture the codes. From this I created a VD with the buttons.

i think there are other GC devices but I haven't worked with those.

I started with the IP control but couldn't do it with some of my TV even though they are less than 2 years old. IR has been working well for me for a while now.

hope I this helps...

frank

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by AutoFrank

• Inquirer
  • 5 hours ago, AutoFrank said:

Hi, 

I use the global cache GC-100-12. It's networked and this gives me 6 IR ports and I have spare network cables to the back of my TV for the IR emitters. I have their learner device and use this to capture the codes. From this I created a VD with the buttons.

i think there are other GC devices but I haven't worked with those.

I started with the IP control but couldn't do it with some of my TV even though they are less than 2 years old. IR has been working well for me for a while now.

hope I this helps...

frank

It seems good but gc 100 it's a little bit expensive....isn't it?

I use Global Cache iTach IP2IR which is bundled with 3 IR transmitters and one IR blaster and has built in learner. It costs around 100 GBP but it is worth the price. I use only IR blaster transmitter to control my TV, set-top box and sound bar and it is working great! Learning codes was smooth and without any problems even user guide is only one piece of paper :-) 

Benefits are that can be used with both HC2 and HCL and if you replace any of the devices it is easy to reprogram codes. Here is my remote for set-top box, Philips TV and Samsung sound-bar:

Philips_TV.jpgSamsung_soundbar.jpg

I use LUA code to send commands and here is example of code for POWER button:

Please login or register to see this code.

Advantage of LUA code is that you can then use global variables to remember state of the TV and use scenes to make control even smarter.

• Like 1

Hi,

I just looked up the price and it was 279 GBP but I don't think I paid that much.

It is not cheap but I think its the standard and very reliable.

For me it is worth it as I use 5 of he 6 IR ports, 3 TV, 1 projector and a blaster for my equipment rack (bluray, sat box, apple tv, droid box, hdmi matrix). I also have the learner (65 gbp) and this was worthwhile as I can learn and test IR codes outside the HC2 and prove they work. This saves a lot of troubleshooting time

I did a lot of research and this one kept bubbling to the top but for me it has been worth every penny I spent on it....

-frank    

Sankotronic

Very nice solution, but for I buy;

can you post max Tv-remote VD, so we can look how it build.

How you find all SendCommands?

Twan

edit; link for i learn already found

Please login or register to see this link.

Edited by twanve

14 hours ago, Sankotronic said:

I use Global Cache iTach IP2IR which is bundled with 3 IR transmitters and one IR blaster and has built in learner. It costs around 100 GBP but it is worth the price. I use only IR blaster transmitter to control my TV, set-top box and sound bar and it is working great! Learning codes was smooth and without any problems even user guide is only one piece of paper :-) 

Benefits are that can be used with both HC2 and HCL and if you replace any of the devices it is easy to reprogram codes. Here is my remote for set-top box, Philips TV and Samsung sound-bar:

Advantage of LUA code is that you can then use global variables to remember state of the TV and use scenes to make control even smarter.

Hi Sankotronic

How did you get the icons/images into the VD

Thanks

frank

• Like 1

Hi Frank,

On my Mac I open Show Emoji & symbols and just copy them to the name filed of the button. They can be seen properly on Apple products but on Windows 7 are replaced with symbols from font that is used to show web GUI and some are missing while others are black & white versions. Originally windows 7 does not support emoji and Microsoft added monochrome Unicode emoji support to the Segoe UI symbol system font in windows 8 and added color emoji in windows 8.1 via Segoe UI Emoji font.

If you still work on windows 7 then to get emojis you can try to install 

I downloaded this update to my Windows 7 64bit installed under virtual device, but it is now already 15 minutes that install is "Searching for updates on this computer"... That is why I switched to Apple. It is really amazing how Macroshit can waste other peoples life... It is just not worth!

21 minutes ago, Sankotronic said:

Hi Frank,

On my Mac I open Show Emoji & symbols and just copy them to the name filed of the button. They can be seen properly on Apple products but on Windows 7 are replaced with symbols from font that is used to show web GUI and some are missing while others are black & white versions. Originally windows 7 does not support emoji and Microsoft added monochrome Unicode emoji support to the Segoe UI symbol system font in windows 8 and added color emoji in windows 8.1 via Segoe UI Emoji font.

If you still work on windows 7 then to get emojis you can try to install 

I downloaded this update to my Windows 7 64bit installed under virtual device, but it is now already 15 minutes that install is "Searching for updates on this computer"... That is why I switched to Apple. It is really amazing how Macroshit can waste other peoples life... It is just not worth!

i'm on win 7 but will try and see if I can get it working....

• Inquirer
  • Hi sankotro

On 26/11/2016 at 10:02 PM, Sankotronic said:

Hi,

could you share your VD or tell how to get "sendcommand" for each button?

2 hours ago, viga81 said:

Hi sankotro

Hi,

could you share your VD or tell how to get "sendcommand" for each button?

@viga81,

but I have posted what I use, how and example of code is posted. What more I can do to help you? Above code is same for all buttons except that you have to put your iTach IP and port in Remote VD and change this line with appropriate command:

Also this lower part of code need to be adjusted to your situation because I use global variable CinemaState to be set if we watching TV or not and maybe you have different solution:

• Inquirer
  • 17 hours ago, Sankotronic said:

@viga81,

but I have posted what I use, how and example of code is posted. What more I can do to help you? Above code is same for all buttons except that you have to put your iTach IP and port in Remote VD and change this line with appropriate command:

Also this lower part of code need to be adjusted to your situation because I use global variable CinemaState to be set if we watching TV or not and maybe you have different solution:

Hi,

my only doubt is how to get the sequence like this:

sendir 1:3, 1, 16......

unfortunately I still have not in my hands the device so have no idea if the device itself gives this string.

Thanks for your help

Giovanni

10 minutes ago, viga81 said:

Hi,

unfortunately I still have not in my hands the device so have no idea if the device itself gives this string.

Thanks for your help

Giovanni

Hi Giovanni

The sequence you reference is the specific to each button on a remote.

the first two digits after the sendir (ie 1 and 3 above) refer to the port on the global cache unit. The rest of the string is the actual IR command itself.

You can get the sequence two ways that I l know of...

1) Use one of the websites that have an database of IR commands for given devces

2) use a learner to capture the sequence directly from the remote control itself

I have found the second way to be far more reliable and faster for me

hope this helps

-frank

14 minutes ago, viga81 said:

Hi,

Thanks for your help

Giovanni

@viga81

when you get device then you can generate those strings in learning mode. You will press button on your original remote and iTach will learn it as string. That string you will use in VD code.

On 11/27/2016 at 2:32 AM, Sankotronic said:

From where can I get those Icon?

Can you share it's copy over mail. [email protected]

On 10/30/2018 at 8:39 AM, Ananta Creation said:

From where can I get those Icon?

Can you share it's copy over mail. [email protected]

Hi @Ananta Creation ,

if you are referring to small icons on VD buttons, these are emojis that I just copy paste from emoji library to button label on my Apple iMac. Don't know really how this can be done on Windows since I don't use them for quite a long time.

For VD and scene icons you can find them in forum download section.

Thanks Sanko,

Any windows users find a result for the icons import?

On 11/26/2016 at 10:02 PM, Sankotronic said:

Can you share the samsung soundbar?

On 1/11/2019 at 7:39 PM, Tjensen said:

Can you share the samsung soundbar?

Here it is Samsung Soundbar remote VD: 

Before importing VD you need to add predefined global variable "CinemaSoundbar" with values "On" and "Off". Also you need to setup IP address of your Global Cache iTach IP2IR and TCP port to 4998. Global variable remembers last status of the soundbar, but if soundbar is left turned on without any signal then it will auto turn off and VD will then show wrong status. Since ti is working with iTach there is no possibility to read current status of the soundbar.

Hello,

I bought Blastbot hub for IR remote.

It is cheap and smart, and you can control every device with IR, also you can add as VD in Fibaro HC.

Good luck.

any updates regarding using these icons for Windows guys?