Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

3-core + Earth wiring for Dimmer

SimFibaro

Question

Hi all, i have searched up and down for this I'm still not sure I've found the answer, hence the post.

I have just bought a dimmer switch to use in my living room and have the following set-up;

2-way dimmer light switch wired up to a 3-core+earth wiring system (for the purpose of detail, it's the older colour system (red/yellow/blue+green(earth)).  This is currently wired to a dimmer switch with 3 connections (common, L1 and L2).

Can someone help confirm how this should be wired up to the dimmer control (

Please login or register to see this link.

) I am confident enough that the wiring to the Fibaro Dimmer is correct but i'd like for someone to confirm it plus how the light switch (yes it's old and there is a replacement standing by ;-) ) should be wired to the Fibaro Dimmer... 

Cheers

Please login or register to see this attachment.

3 answers to this question

Sorry, giving you the "boring" answer.

Im an electrician (and have been for 15 years running my own company) and i cant tell you how to wire it with this picture. 

We cant know from that image with 100% certainty whats what. (Linel and outputs from the dimmer)

Witch of the cables does what?

I cant say for certain and how do we know its been wired properly by the guy installing it before you if you trust the colors of the cables?

I have seen the most outrageous cabling so nothing is ever for certain.

Sorry to say:

There is only one way to know, let a qualified electrician measure the cables and install the dimmer for you.

I could probably guide you through it if you had the proper measuring devices but even then i would never do that,  its way to dangerous for a layman to handle live connections without experience.

• Inquirer
  • thanks for the reply and for confirming.  I have booked an electrician.  I'm pretty certain i know the solution, but better safe than sorry, right!?

Cheers