Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Connecting dimmer 2

rsjabbens

Question

Hello all,

Can i use a dimmer 2 with a powered toggle switch connected to S1? 

I already have a 2x1.5 switch to some light bulbs, one is working with 2 wall switches. In the attached drawing you can see that i want to add a Dimmer 2 (fgd-212) between another light bulb and 2 regular toggle wall switches (number 1 and number 2 in the drawing). Currently the bulb connected to Q2 from the 2x1.5 switch is switched by the left part from wall switch 2 or the right part from wall switch 3. Can i somehow do the same with a dimmer and wall switch 1 and the right part from wall switch 2?

Please login or register to see this attachment.

7 answers to this question

No, that won't work, as drawn. Have a look at the diagrams in the manual. You have the switch pair connected to S1 and L, that is good, although actually, L should be Sx. Officially, it has to be Sx, but yo can try L for the switches. If the switching appears to be unreliable, you might have to use Sx (that's what it says in the manual). The light goes to the output, good! But you also have to connect O to N, that's easy enough. Lastly, you need a connection from dimmer L to your L. If you fix that, it will be OK.

BTW, have you ever used toggle switches on a dimmer? I'm not fond of that... But if that's what you have, it'l have to do I suppose? You have to set parameter 20. Switch type:

Choose between momentary switch, toggle switch and roller blind switch.
Available settings:
0 - momentary switch
1 - toggle switch
2 - Roller blind switch - two switches operate the Dimmer (S1 to brighten, S2 to dim)
Default setting: 0

• Inquirer
  • 3 hours ago, petergebruers said:

No, that won't work, as drawn. Have a look at the diagrams in the manual. You have the switch pair connected to S1 and L, that is good, although actually, L should be Sx. Officially, it has to be Sx, but yo can try L for the switches. If the switching appears to be unreliable, you might have to use Sx (that's what it says in the manual). The light goes to the output, good! But you also have to connect O to N, that's easy enough. Lastly, you need a connection from dimmer L to your L. If you fix that, it will be OK.

BTW, have you ever used toggle switches on a dimmer? I'm not fond of that... But if that's what you have, it'l have to do I suppose? You have to set parameter 20. Switch type:

Choose between momentary switch, toggle switch and roller blind switch.
    Available settings:
    0 - momentary switch
    1 - toggle switch
    2 - Roller blind switch - two switches operate the Dimmer (S1 to brighten, S2 to dim)
    Default setting: 0

Thank you for the response.

You say that it wouldn't work, but the switch pair is connected correctly? What is wrong, only that i need to connect L to L and N to N? I am aware of this, but i left this out of the drawing.  So this should work as in the image below?

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Or do i just only switch between S1 and SX? If this is required and i have 2 toggle switches, how do i connect them, can i just connect 1 to S1 and SX and 2 to S2 and SX? Or can toggle switches be paralel connected, e.g. One cable from toggle switch 1 to SX and from toggle switch 2 to SX, and then one cable from toggle switch 1 to S1 and from toggle switch 2 to S1?

What is possible to do?

Regarding your question, i use more dimmer 2 with a toggle switch, but this is just a single toggle switch, this is working fine for me. I only dim through a scene or sometimes with the app. Maybe sometime i will change some toggle switches for momentary switches, but for now this is not required.

Thanks,

Roland

3 minutes ago, rsjabbens said:

(...)

You say that it wouldn't work, but the switch pair is connected correctly? What is wrong, only that i need to connect L to L and N to N? I am aware of this, but i left this out of the drawing.  So this should work as in the image below?(...)

Actually, to follow the manual, the first switch should connect to Sx instead of L. But it is possible that L works for you. So your second drawing is correct. I can explain why "Sx = almost L" if you want me to. The switch inputs are well protected, you won't damage anything. But switching might not be reliable. You can always try as shown, but keep in mind that you may need an extra wire if it doesn't work as expected.

9 minutes ago, rsjabbens said:

(...) Or do i just only switch between S1 and SX? If this is required and i have 2 toggle switches, how do i connect them, can i just connect 1 to S1 and SX and 2 to S2 and SX? Or can toggle switches be paralel connected, e.g. One cable from toggle switch 1 to SX and from toggle switch 2 to SX, and then one cable from toggle switch 1 to S1 and from toggle switch 2 to S1?

What is possible to do?

Regarding your question, i use more dimmer 2 with a toggle switch, but this is just a single toggle switch, this is working fine for me. I only dim through a scene or sometimes with the app. Maybe sometime i will change some toggle switches for momentary switches, but for now this is not required.

Your drawing is correct, that's the way to interface two toggle switches with a dimmer.

If you install momentary switches, they're wired in parallel, and you can have more than 2 if you want to...

• Inquirer
  • Okay, thanks, i will try this later this week when i have some daylight again :-)

If it doesn't work, i need to use momentary switches, because parallel with toggle switches isn't going to work as i understand from you. With the momentary switches i can install them parallel, this way i do not need to rewire. But first, test this as shown in the second drawing.

Thanks again, i will report back here later this week/next weekend.

• Inquirer
  • Okay, just gave this a try and seems to work without any problems, so far so good. Didn't try dimming, only on/off currently, because i only have a non dimable light bulb

3 minutes ago, rsjabbens said:

Okay, just gave this a try and seems to work without any problems, so far so good. Didn't try dimming, only on/off currently, because i only have a non dimable light bulb

Thank you for reporting back!