Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro Dimmer 2 - Parameter 39

mhogendoorn

Question

Hi People, 

I have the Fibaro Dimmer 2  installed and working perfect. For my hallway i need more watt 30 to be exact. Is it ok to change the value to 280 and use it like that? You guys have experience with it?

Thanks,

Mike

12 answers to this question

10 minutes ago, mhogendoorn said:

Hi People, 

I have the Fibaro Dimmer 2  installed and working perfect. For my hallway i need more watt 30 to be exact. Is it ok to change the value to 280 and use it like that? You guys have experience with it?

Thanks,

Mike

This is from the manual, read the bit about changing load half way down.

Calibration

Dimmer 2 is equipped with an algorithm of smart light source detection. Depending on the connected type of light source, it automatically adjusts an optimal control mode (leading edge for inductive loads, trailing edge for capacitive or resistive loads). The procedure of learning the light source type is called calibration.

During the calibration procedure, radio connection is disabled and the Dimmer 2 does not respond to any commands. It may cause temporary problems with communication in the Z-Wave network. After completing the calibration, communication with the module will be restored.

Calibration automatically adjusts maximum and minimum light levels (parameter 1 and 2). However, the installer is obliged to verify the proper operation of the device, according to control modes description. There is a 10% probability that calibration settings will require a manual correction. In a 2-wire connection for loads other than resistive parameter 1 settings must be adjusted manually.
Calibration procedure is performed always after removing the device from the Z-Wave network. If the device is not included, after each power on/off calibration will occur. For the included device, calibration is performed in accordance with the parameter 35 settings.

Some types of LED and CF lamps are designed to operate in leading edge mode (with conventional dimmers). Information about proper operation mode of the bulb should be included in its manual. In this case you have to manually force the desired operating mode using parameter 30.

After changing the load launch the calibration or remove and add the device. Before changing the operating mode or performing the calibration procedure the light must be turned off. Verify the operating mode, according to product documentation.

Calibration may be forced:

• by setting parameter 13 to 1 or 2 (with/without FIBARO Bypass 2)
  • through triple clicking and holding the main light switch (each hold for more than 5 seconds)
  • by selecting the appropriate MENU option using the B-button (see „Operating the device” on page 12)

By default, calibration is performed without FIBARO Bypass 2. In case of connecting the Bypass 2, it is required to force the appropriate calibration procedure using B-button menu or through parameter 13. The device saves the last calibration enforcement mode (with or without Bypass 2).

The result of calibration will be confirmed with the LED indicator glowing in one of the following colours:

• GREEN – Light source recognized as dimmable, dimming levels set, brightness may be controlled using the S1 switch.
  • YELLOW – Light source recognized as non-dimmable, possibility to turn ON/OFF connected light with default parameters settings.
  • RED – Calibration procedure failed. Possible reasons: lack of connected load or connected light source exceeds maximum power, which may be controlled by the Dimmer 2.
  • BLINKING RED – Calibration procedure failed. Possible reasons: installation failure or damaged load (causing activation of the overcurrent protection).

Please login or register to see this link.

• Inquirer
  • Thanks for the reply, So basically you say it's possible but I need to recalibarate after changing?

Edited by mhogendoorn

4 minutes ago, mhogendoorn said:

Thanks for the reply, So basically you say it's possible but I need to recalibarate after changing?

Yes you could try without recailibating if you want it will prob still work 

i think there is a percentage diffenence before the dimmer starts sending load errors and or for large load differences turning itself off

its a pretty smart  piece of kit the way it monitors the load.

you will soon know and you wont hurt it

• Inquirer
  • Well thats some good news. I was looking for other hardware that was able to deliver more watt. Knowing this i will probably buy a second one. Will test it soon thanks Jamie

22 minutes ago, mhogendoorn said:

Thanks for the reply, So basically you say it's possible but I need to recalibarate after changing? 

Oh I do see what you mean though its getting way beyond recomended maxload What type of load is. It?

Can you not retrofit some led lamps to bring the load down?

Without dimming function it may work with:

compact fluorescent CFL tube lamps with electronic ballast

fluorescent tube lamps with electronic ballast

LED bulbs (power factor > 0.7)

supported light sources (power factor > 0.5) with minimal power of 5VA using FIBARO Bypass 2 (depending on the type of load)

Recommended values of power for supported loads:

Supported load types220-240V~

Resistive loads
    Conventional incandescent and halogen light sources50-250W

Resistive-capacitive loads
    Fluorescent tube lamp (compact / with electronic ballast), electronic transformer, LED50-200VA

Resistive-inductive loads
    Ferromagnetic transformers

Edited by Jamie mccrostie

You c

3 minutes ago, mhogendoorn said:

It are 8 times 35 w GU10 spots working on 230V there are dimmable, would that be a problem?

You can easiely replace these with a dimmable LED version that would be 5 watts each. Six times cheaper to run with way longer life span

My experance with mains volage GU10 halogens is the they dont last very long and put off all there energy in heat not light.

This will cost a bit but pay back if they are on alot is huge.

And your dimmer 2 will love running on 40watts:mrgreen: although you will need to recliberate.

• Inquirer
  • haha yes I know! I think I didn't find the right LED's yet. The wife is looking for a warmer feeling then the LED's I showed here :mrgreen:. Will give it a try with small increment 's than report back. 

4 minutes ago, mhogendoorn said:

haha yes I know! I think I didn't find the right LED's yet. The wife is looking for a warmer feeling then the LED's I showed here :mrgreen:. Will give it a try with small increment 's than report back. 

My experience is the cheap ones often have no dimmer range, and yes they dont compare with the halogen colour although they are getting better.

Some newier ones go a warmer colour with dimming although im not sure if this is a mains voltage GU10 option.

Good luck

• Inquirer
  • Well increased the load to arround 280W, and the lights stayed on. No load failure. No other sensors where tripping so its looks ok. 

The topic has been moved from "

" to "

".

Temat został przeniesiony z "

" do "

".