Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Switch normal closed

Muppet

Question

Hello people,

I am planning to build a small cabin where everything will be z-wave. I am planning to have no wired switches at all.

However. The cabin will be unattended for long periods of time. In this time I am fully dependent on having some electric heat on to prevent water to freeze. All electric heat will be managed by Fibaro switches and a room controller adjusting temperature. However IF the hub fails, connection is lost etcetc, I am fully dependent on that the switch is Fail Safe On, meaning that heating panels are on if connection(or anything else is wrong) for whatever reason is lost. Can you please confirm that this is possible to achieve?

8 answers to this question

Hi @Muppet and welcome to forum,

For that i often recommend Heatit or any other thermostat, that you can associate.

Association is set on thermostat to control relay/s, that control devices responsible for heating (vales, boilers, ...).

• Inquirer
  • Does that mean that it can not be solved with the Fibaro Switch? As far as I know the switch can be operated via a manual switch without the control center. Doesn't that mean that I can wire it similar just with a constant 230V so the Fibaro switch reads so that it shall always be on unless it is commanded by the control center?

1 hour ago, Muppet said:

Does that mean that it can not be solved with the Fibaro Switch? As far as I know the switch can be operated via a manual switch without the control center. Doesn't that mean that I can wire it similar just with a constant 230V so the Fibaro switch reads so that it shall always be on unless it is commanded by the control center?

Its not a good idea to have no local control redundancy 

The fibaro switch if connected to a wall switch can still be controlled with the home center removed or broken.

So Yes.

• Inquirer
  • Yes,

I have been told from others that it is not a good idea to have no local control. This being a cabin I am willing to take this risk. 

But as I read you if the switch is wired so it reads it as the switch is on it will be on IF the home center is dead.

14 minutes ago, Muppet said:

Yes,

I have been told from others that it is not a good idea to have no local control. This being a cabin I am willing to take this risk. 

But as I read you if the switch is wired so it reads it as the switch is on it will be on IF the home center is dead.

Yes, you can also change switch parameters as to if it stays on or goes off after power outage

Are you talking about putting a perminant wire between sx and s1 or l and s1

You dont need to do this.

Edited by Jamie mccrostie

8 hours ago, Muppet said:

Does that mean that it can not be solved with the Fibaro Switch? As far as I know the switch can be operated via a manual switch without the control center. Doesn't that mean that I can wire it similar just with a constant 230V so the Fibaro switch reads so that it shall always be on unless it is commanded by the control center?

Well then, you need to wire from L to S1 and set parameter 20 to value 1. In case of relay switch it is parameter 15 i think, but I'm not remember which value. But i would not consider it as save. Disasters happen always. 

With thermostat and association it would be safe. And association works even without HC. Also thermostat will be the one switching switches on and responsible for correct temperature.

• Inquirer
  • Ok, thank you. I guess I will use a combination then. Termostat for a couple og units just for safety and a Fibaro switch for the rest. Thank you all :)