Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro Dimmer update

ErwinM

Question

Recently we bought the HC2.

In our house we have about 25 dimmers (com.fibaro.FGD212) installed. Now we get notification that we need to upgrade the dimmers firmware from 3.4 to 3.5

The procedure gives a few warnings: 

- It takes up to 30 min. after that wait and check .

- The HC2 has to be within 2 mtr.

- You may need to reinclude.

Having 25 devices throughout the house this takes me about a week traveling with the hc2 in hand, long network cable etc ..

This can't be true. Is there an other methode ?

tnx

Erwin

9 answers to this question

- The HC2 has to be within 2 mtr.

- You may need to reinclude.

that is not true

update can be send even by routing

you need to do soft reconfiguration

how long it take depend from your network traffic it can be done in30s but can be done in 20min

7 hours ago, A.Socha said:

that is not true

update can be send even by routing

you need to do soft reconfiguration

how long it take depend from your network traffic it can be done in30s but can be done in 20min

I thought it cannot be routed?

I did not see any change regarding OTA updated in any changelog.

Quote from 4.083 beta:

Other improvements:
- Firmware Update - wireless update of Z-Wave devices: Motion Sensor, Dimmer 2 and Wall Plug. Availability of the update for each device is showed in Notification Center and Advanced Configuration. Run update only when devices are in close range from controller (ca. 2 m). Process can take up to 30 minutes, depending on Z-Wave traffic and devices queued for update. Details on the whole procedure can be found in notification displayed before every device update.

7 minut temu, jakub.jezek napisał:

I thought it cannot be routed?

I did not see any change regarding OTA updated in any changelog.

Quote from 4.083 beta:

Other improvements:
- Firmware Update - wireless update of Z-Wave devices: Motion Sensor, Dimmer 2 and Wall Plug. Availability of the update for each device is showed in Notification Center and Advanced Configuration. Run update only when devices are in close range from controller (ca. 2 m). Process can take up to 30 minutes, depending on Z-Wave traffic and devices queued for update. Details on the whole procedure can be found in notification displayed before every device update.

Devices 2.x should be close HC (around 2m to start update)

Devices on 3.x don't need be close on update time

Off corse less distance = faster update and have bigger chance on success sending file. (Bigger distance it is safe too but you may need to repeat update because CRC of file gonna be wrong )

@A.Socha, now i understand perfectly.

But some question from me, that i think customers will start with on that topic.

Update through route is is in features of Sigma 500 chip and SDK, right? So that means devices with firmware 2.x (Z-Wave chip 300) are limited to direct range (close one), because of Z-Wave chip limitation?

In that time (Fibaro series 2.x ) that feature was born, now SDK for update is a lot of better

• Inquirer
  • Yesterday I decided to try one Fibaro dimmer. I started at 22.16. The progress went as expected. It still took about 30min. to reach the end of the progressbar. 

I tought: not quick but it worked... But NO. The message Updating does not end. (status1.png)

Details does list a updated firmware, but the update did not finish. (status2.png)

Will this ever stop ?

Will I have the same problems for all the devices ?

tnx

Erwin

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Inquirer
  • Well today still no respons, the status is still is still 'Updating'.

I decided to hit the abort button. The updating stopped and the device looked OK.

In my devicelist I now have a new device added: My previous one was ID:26 and now extra ID:28.

If I turn on the dimmer it also activates the other one. 

It I forcefully throw it away it just reappears again ;-)

What to do ?

tnx

Erwin

11 hours ago, ErwinM said:

Well today still no respons, the status is still is still 'Updating'.

I decided to hit the abort button. The updating stopped and the device looked OK.

In my devicelist I now have a new device added: My previous one was ID:26 and now extra ID:28.

If I turn on the dimmer it also activates the other one. 

It I forcefully throw it away it just reappears again ;-)

What to do ?

tnx

Erwin

I'd reboot my HC, then exclude it (3x click S1) then include it again (no "force delete"). After that, update it. If it fails again, keep trying the update (without exclude/include step). The procedure is very robust, I've never heard of a FGD gone bad due to an aborted update. If it keeps failing, you might have too much traffic on your network. Do you experience delays controlling this or other devices?

Edited by petergebruers
    fix sentence "exclude..include"