Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

An additional z-wave antenna

wrt503

Question

Hello. Have somebody tested z-wave antenna like this:

Please login or register to see this link.

13,5dB

or

Please login or register to see this link.

5dB

Regards

8 minutes ago, Vinisz said:

Range is perfect now, no problems here, but........

Based on your most recent data, you do not have perfect range... But it is hard to say without knowing the physical layout, thickness and type of walls.

Your network:

Please login or register to see this code.

My network:

Please login or register to see this code.

Edited by petergebruers

Ok, not “perfect” but this is a 1 year old house (so thick concrete/isolation/steel) and over 500 m2 large and 14 meters high....

The antenne added 14db gain if I remember correctly...

main question is of course if antenne “problems” can cause z-wave engine freezes.

Oh and, @petergebruers , I did made some changes to optimize, I'l send you a new devices.json file...

Edited by Vinisz

7 minutes ago, Vinisz said:

The antenne added 14db gain if I remember correctly...

Sounds a bit optimistic, but who am I to contradict people...

Also, 15m of cable causes losses. Without specs, it is difficult to calculate. It can be significant at the Z-Wave frequency if it is an older type of coax.

9 minutes ago, Vinisz said:

over 500 m2 large and 14 meters high....

That might explain why only 31 out of 130 devices report a direct connection.

You installed this antenna for a reason, but I suppose at that time the "last working route and neighbor thingy" did not exist, so hard to say if it improved, and by how much.

If antenna has gain, it also gets more directional, which might help in the vertical or horizontal plane only.

Would it be possible to put your HC2 with original antenna in the same spot as the new antenna? I cannot think of any better way to find out if, after "mesh reconfigure", that would change anything.

As you said... this has worked for about a year, so the antenna cannot be the only cause.

12 minutes ago, Vinisz said:

main question is of course if antenne “problems” can cause z-wave engine freezes.

Sure, Sure, that is the 1000 dollar question.

Yes, a bad signal can cause delays... but freezes? I have discussed this with a few people and afaik nobody knows the answer. Those freezes might be a bug on recent firmwares. Or the network may become very unstable, I have seen reports of this but without proper tools it is hard to say what such a "collapse" might be. In rare case we know a broken device can keep transmitting very fast and block the network.

I want to find out, to help you, but also because if this happens to a few users it can happen to anybody - right?

And I'm sorry to hear you are still having these "Z-Wave freezes"...

Hello, I am looking to buy an antenna.

As I understand it would be good that the antenna has this properties:

- 790-960 MHz

- 5dBi

- 50 Ohm

- SMA connector.

Correct me if I am wrong. I have been looking for some time but all of the links in this thread don't work for me because I am UK based. I just moved my HC2 into the server rack but the signal is blocked from the metal chassis. It would be very helpful if you would help me find some links for the proper antennas that work with HC2. Thank you!