Jump to content

Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

 

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

 

As a member you can:

  •     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

 

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team


Fibaro RGBW + Sceneactivation


alex88
 Share

Recommended Posts

Has anyone found a way to kick off sceneactivation from a Fibaro RGBW?

 

I have automated lighting that allows for wall switch override via sceneactivation on dimmers switches, but for the Fibaro RGBW I cannot get the override to work as there is no scene activation functionality on this device.

 

It creates a poor user experience where you have to explain to users to first click on a non-RGBW switch to manually override automated lighting before they can change the RGBW lights manually.

 

EDIT: The only way I can think of doing it, which I dread the thought off, is to hide a FIbaro Dimmer2 module behind the switch and connect it to the same switch gang as the RGBW. Then activate sceneactivation on the Dimmer2. Not what I want to do really.

Edited by amilanov
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello @amilanov,

 

There is no such functionality as it is one of the first modules and it is not equipped with Z-Wave 5. To add scene activation, some other, currently present functionality has to be removed. 

 

We have plans to release updated version with Z-Wave 5 but we do not know the exact time frame.

 

But I will pass your idea to our engineers.

Edited by I.Srodka
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest spazpeker

What are you using the RGBW MODULE for ? Single leds, RGBW strips RGB strips?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The topic has been moved from "

Please login or register to see this link.

" to "

Please login or register to see this link.

".

 

Temat został przeniesiony z "

Please login or register to see this link.

" do "

Please login or register to see this link.

".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Topic Author
  • 3 hours ago, spazpeker said:

    What are you using the RGBW MODULE for ? Single leds, RGBW strips RGB strips?

     

    Currently RGB strips and RGB LEDs. 

     

    Going forward RGBW strips as well. 

     

    Why does  it matter? 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    20 hours ago, amilanov said:

    EDIT: The only way I can think of doing it, which I dread the thought off, is to hide a FIbaro Dimmer2 module behind the switch and connect it to the same switch gang as the RGBW. Then activate sceneactivation on the Dimmer2. Not what I want to do really.

     

    I'm thinking out loud. If you want to use the existing switch(es)... a Fibaro UBS is an old device but it is small, runs on 12-24 V and has scene activation. And cheaper than "Dimmer 2". I do not think connecting a switch to both modules at the same time would work. No it would not work, they use different voltage on switch input. I'm not a big fan of associations, I'm not sure if it would work either. So you'd have to use device grouping (not sure that would work) or use scenes to glue the devices together. Just thought I'd mention it.

    Edited by petergebruers
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Guest spazpeker
    1 hour ago, amilanov said:

     

    Currently RGB strips and RGB LEDs. 

     

    Going forward RGBW strips as well. 

     

    Why does  it matter? 

    You might be able to use the white channel to trigger a scene, I have one in a test bed, I will try it and let you

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

  • Topic Author
  • 12 hours ago, I.Srodka said:

    Hello @amilanov,

     

    There is no such functionality as it is one of the first modules and it is not equipped with Z-Wave 5. To add scene activation, some other, currently present functionality has to be removed. 

     

    We have plans to release updated version with Z-Wave 5 but we do not know the exact time frame.

     

    But I will pass your idea to our engineers.

     

    I wait with baited breath for the z-wave 5 module. Please release it in the next few months!

    I need around 30 modules to replace existing and install the new system.

     

    8 hours ago, petergebruers said:

     

    I'm thinking out loud. If you want to use the existing switch(es)... a Fibaro UBS is an old device but it is small, runs on 12-24 V and has scene activation. And cheaper than "Dimmer 2". I do not think connecting a switch to both modules at the same time would work. No it would not work, they use different voltage on switch input. I'm not a big fan of associations, I'm not sure if it would work either. So you'd have to use device grouping (not sure that would work) or use scenes to glue the devices together. Just thought I'd mention it.

     

    I was hoping I could power them separately that way when I have to rebuild the system I can reliably delete and add the devices by turn the other one circuit off, but my novice electricians mind didn't think through the ramifications or if it's possible to have two sets of wires coming from a single gang switch to two devices of different voltage.

     

    7 hours ago, spazpeker said:

    You might be able to use the white channel to trigger a scene, I have one in a test bed, I will try it and let you

     

     

    It would be interesting to see if it can be done. The issue, as I think you've all figured out is that you can't use "value" to trigger a scene otherwise as the devices is dimming up/down, turning on/off it would be kicking off unwanted scenes. Thanks for any help you can provide.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Guest spazpeker
    15 hours ago, amilanov said:

     

    I wait with baited breath for the z-wave 5 module. Please release it in the next few months!

    I need around 30 modules to replace existing and install the new system.

     

     

    I was hoping I could power them separately that way when I have to rebuild the system I can reliably delete and add the devices by turn the other one circuit off, but my novice electricians mind didn't think through the ramifications or if it's possible to have two sets of wires coming from a single gang switch to two devices of different voltage.

     

     

    It would be interesting to see if it can be done. The issue, as I think you've all figured out is that you can't use "value" to trigger a scene otherwise as the devices is dimming up/down, turning on/off it would be kicking off unwanted scenes. Thanks for any help you can provide.

    Yes looks like you cant access the white channel when in RGB Mode.

    you could setup the device in input /  output mode, and use the first 3 for RGB and channel 4 for triggering a scene

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

  • Topic Author
  • 10 hours ago, spazpeker said:

    Yes looks like you cant access the white channel when in RGB Mode.

    you could setup the device in input /  output mode, and use the first 3 for RGB and channel 4 for triggering a scene

     

     

    Thanks. I will have to have a think about this and play around to fully understand what you mean....

     

    I am still not sure how to trigger a scene from the white channel, even if in input/output mode. Remember that the scene should only be triggered when the user presses the wall switch***

    Also, if I set it up to Input/Output won't I lose the RGBW functionality e.g. being able to change colours through the various interfaces?

    I'm also not sure what impact this would have on my code, turning on/off the channels when it is in input/output. It seems very promising though. Food for thought. Thanks!

     

    ***Fibaro, please, please look into adding in a long outstanding feature that I and I am sure many other users have requested. The ability to distinguish what triggered a changed in the value of a device e.g. was it a scene and if so which scene, was it a physical interaction, was it from a device (tablet, mobile, web interface). We need to be able to see what changed the value and also be able to code with different interfaces (scene, physical, device etc) in LUA so that we can determine, for example, if a light is being dimmed down because a scene is dimming it or because someone has dimming in manually via a tablet or via a wall switch and do something different based on the interface (means by which the device was interacted with) interacting with the device.

     

     

    On 8/30/2017 at 7:37 AM, I.Srodka said:

    Hello @amilanov,

     

    There is no such functionality as it is one of the first modules and it is not equipped with Z-Wave 5. To add scene activation, some other, currently present functionality has to be removed. 

     

    We have plans to release updated version with Z-Wave 5 but we do not know the exact time frame.

     

    But I will pass your idea to our engineers.

     

    "To add scene activation, some other, currently present functionality has to be removed. "

     

    I would happily give up one of the functions to have scene activation added to my RGBs via a firmware update. You could make the update optional for those that want sceneactivation enabled and are willing to give up something in return e.g. I personally have never changed parm 44, 45, 71 or 73 from their defaults. 

     

    Edited by amilanov
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Hello,

     

    11 hours ago, amilanov said:

    ***Fibaro, please, please look into adding in a long outstanding feature that I and I am sure many other users have requested. The ability to distinguish what triggered a changed in the value of a device e.g. was it a scene and if so which scene, was it a physical interaction, was it from a device (tablet, mobile, web interface). We need to be able to see what changed the value and also be able to code with different interfaces (scene, physical, device etc) in LUA so that we can determine, for example, if a light is being dimmed down because a scene is dimming it or because someone has dimming in manually via a tablet or via a wall switch and do something different based on the interface (means by which the device was interacted with) interacting with the device.

    This suggestion was submitted in April

    And it is being discussed and considered to be implemented. We have to wait for decision.

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

  • Topic Author
  • Thanks for that. Good to know.

     

    There was also an associated issue raised by me on bugzilla almost 2.5 years ago (

    Please login or register to see this link.

    ) supported by almost 20 people before bugzilla seemed to die off:

     

    Ability to see which device triggered an event in the event panel.

    (A) In addition to what the event panel reports currently, it should also show:

    A1) Source of trigger e.g. android app, ios app, web interface, wall switch, scene, virtual device

    A2) ID of device triggering the event


    (B) Users should be able to navigate the event panel through the following means:

    B1) By date/time range
    - as per current functionality

    B2) By device triggered 
    - should be able to select from every device in system and limit search to only selected device(s)

    B3) By triggering device and/or triggering source
    - as per B2 above but by the sources/devices included as part of the request in A1 and A2 above

     

     

    My request in the post above extends beyond the event panel to full integration into the HC2 with full access within scenes.

     

    Dannyboy's request was also a good one: 

    Please login or register to see this link.

     

     

    I am glad Fibaro is looking into it.

     

    Regards

    Aleks

    Edited by amilanov
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    • 1 year later...

    I would fully support a little bit more effort by the Fibaro R&D on this topic.

     

    Please add a kind of Scene control to the Fibaro RGBW device. :)

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

    Guest
    Reply to this topic...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

     Share

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...