Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Set lights value without turning them on?

sir_horn

Question

I use motion sensors for pretty much all my lights around the house. Its working great and most of the time I want the lights to turn on to the previous set value, but not always.

So I would like to create scene for different parts of the day so that the scene sets a specifik value for every light when its turned on, it should not be turned on by the scene. I'm using block scenes and not familiar with LUA (yet).

A really bad solution would be to set the values in the block scene and then turn them off a few seconds later.. By doing this i would have the right value when its turned on by the motion sensor again.

Hope someone can help :)

15 answers to this question

AFAIK it is not possible to use a variable within a scene (I would like this feature too). Easiest would be to have individual scenes for the different light contitions you want.

WIth LUA definitely possible.

Another question from me would be: Is it possible to set a dimmer or something similar to a specific value without turning it on?

E.g. a led buld. I would like to set it to a specific color but the light should stay off. So if a motion sensor triggers the light directly this last set value should be used.

Hi @sir_horn,

It's not the question whether it's possible to set the color without turning the light, but when do you want to set this color.

Maybe instead of setting up the color somewhere along the way, you could just fire up the light with specified color.

However, I managed to find a way to change the color, including brightness, of our RGBW controller.

Using LUA, you can make POST request:

Please login or register to see this code.

but remember to parameters into body of this request:

5 hours ago, kunoch said:

Easiest would be to have individual scenes for the different light contitions you want.

Yes, exactly. This is the solution I suggested at the beginning of my post. 

Sometimes it is possible to do certain things but we need to consider whether it is worth it or not.

But coming back to your main post:

15 hours ago, sir_horn said:

I'm using block scenes and not familiar with LUA (yet).

I'm afraid it's not possible using block scenes.

• Inquirer
  • Thanks for all good replays! My question wasn't so well described though :)

What I want is to change the dimming level of my lights IF they are turned on by motion sensors. For daytime I want one dimming level, for evening another and for night a third, etc. To have a block scene set the dimming level seems to require the light to be turned on when the dimming level is set. It would be quite annoying to have the whole house lit up 5 times a day when new dimming levels are set by the scene, it would how ever do what I'm looking for since the previous set level is used when the lights are turned on again by the associated motion sensor.

I'm using Fibaro motion sensors and mostly Fibaro dimmer 2.

• Inquirer
  • I have been looking around but still cant find a solution for this. anyone have an idea/solution?

• Inquirer
  • The best i could do so far is to have a scene for every lamp and time of day so that it is set to different dimming level depending on a parameter and this ONLY if it is turned on, otherwise it will stay in the same dimming level. This works fine but it will require a lot of scenes to keep track of and I'm sure its quite easy in LUA. could someone help a little? My block scene looks like this when translated to LUA with only one parameter and one lamp:

Is this what you where looking for as well @Alex?

Edited by I.Srodka

On 31.8.2017 at 9:47 PM, sir_horn said:

Is this what you where looking for as well @Alex?

Not exaclty. This would turn on the light.

I would just like to set the color by different scenes without turning on the light.

• Inquirer
  • 13 hours ago, Alex said:

26 minutes ago, Alex said:

What is your device "324"?

Spotlights, a Fibaro dimmer 2

Strange.

If I use this command with a dimmer 2 the dimmer goes on/shines.

Hi,

I also have the same problem, I cannot change dimmer's parameter without turning on the device. An example:

fibaro:call(159, "setValue", "100")
    fibaro:sleep(30*1000)
    fibaro:call(159, "setValue", "20")
    fibaro:sleep(30*1000)
    fibaro:call(159, "setValue", "100")

shows, that lights change the intensity. Is there any dimmer's parameter to change to get "setvalue" changed without turning on lights?

Dimmer 2: Parameter 19: Forced dimming level. If the parameter is active, turning on the Dimmer (S1 single click) will always set this dimming level.

• Inquirer
  • On 4/28/2020 at 9:15 AM, petergebruers said:

Dimmer 2: Parameter 19: Forced dimming level. If the parameter is active, turning on the Dimmer (S1 single click) will always set this dimming level.

Yes, but I want to have different dimming levels IF the light is switched on. For example 5% during the night and 50% in the morning.

But this seems impossible without turning the light on for setting the level :(

11 hours ago, sir_horn said:

But this seems impossible without turning the light on for setting the level :(

It is possible to set parameters with Lua, so you can change parameter 19 to 5% in the evening or at sunset and 50% in the morning.

I once wrote code to do that on Dimmer 1, I don't have the productInfo string of Dimmer 2 but this topic explains how you can get it. The productInfo test is there as a safety measure, you don't want to write  parameters to wrong kind of device.

• Like 1